Luthier Popular Supreme 20

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Podobin

Luthier Popular Supreme 20

Post by Podobin » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

For some reason I have overlooked the Luthier Popular Supreme 20 set for my Navarro Rodriguez Cedar. It took a while for me to "dial in" the action and then just recently (last several months) the proper string selection for both tone and tension for this instrument. Even when I used EJ 45's they seemed "tight",, Augustine's seemed that they didn't have intonation I wanted, Hannabach were somewhat a bit dark and uninspiring for this guitar. I for some reason, was reluctant to go down the "low tension string road" but eventually did. Sometimes it is difficult to move away from preconceptions of which string is the best for an instrument. (I have always used Hannabach 728 and EJ 45's in the past with other instruments.) It was a pleasant surprise that after several weeks these Luthier Popular Supreme 20's have the right feel, sustain and palate of tone colors for this instrument and my playing style. It is really true, that each instrument, player and string combination (tension, type and brand) will be different. :bravo:
Last edited by Podobin on Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Luthier Popular Supreme 20

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Podobin wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm
For some reason I have overlooked the Luthier Popular Supreme 20 set for my Navarro Rodriguez Cedar...It is really true, that each instrument, player and string combination (tension, type and brand) will be different. :bravo:
I am rediscovering this as I start with a new guitar, my first luthier-built guitar. I've had it for just a short time, and have already tried 4 different sets of strings, 2 of which were very good, and the other two...well, one was less than inspiring, and the other was just plain awful...
:desole: the Rotosound sounded terrible, but they sounded great before, when I had them on my Ramirez.

I have a couple sets of the Popular set 20 in my string box, and also set 30. I will get around to trying them eventually, in a couple of weeks of they dull out and 3 to 4 weeks if they don't. I did get one set of popular set 20 that had intonation problems with the B string. In the last 30 years, I've only had two or three bad strings, of any type, and I suppose that it just happens once in awhile.

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm

It still amazes me that strings that sound so good on one guitar can sound so wrong for another. I am going through some strings on my new esteve 8 and even though high tension strings sounded so good on my old guitars they are sounding on the dull sound on this one. especially the trebles. Most every bass string I have put on this guitar sounds good to my ear. there are differences but they all tend to be good. I think that has to do with the overall size of the instrument. It being on the large side I think it just favors low frequencies. So in search for sweeter sounding trebles I started to experiment with low tension strings and it did sweeten up quite a bit. labella 2001 med tensions were very nice sounding. ej45 are also nice sounding but not as loud. I am going to have to try these Luthier Popular Supreme strings. How do they compare with ej45's in tension?
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

I don't have a very fresh memory, but I found that Luthier 20 are thinner (diameter-wise) than EJ45, but not as soft as I'd expect. Good medium tension. The nylon trebles are quite bright and also feel a bit stiff; the carbon trebles I had (it was an old formula, the have replaced it by a new one, afak) had bad intonation.

The basses I liked very much, but found they wear off quickly, at least tonally.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Thu May 17, 2018 2:24 am

I found that the Luthier 20 trebles were more pliable and less "plasticky" feeling than the EJ45s. The EJ45's seemed ok but on my guitar did not have a "thicker" sound than the Luthier 20's. I also tried the Luthier 30's and they were also very good, it just seemed that I needed more sustain on the higher registers which neither the Luthier 30's nor the EJ45 could provide. It is fascinating as I never expected that I would have found the sound and playability in a low tension string.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 am

I don't think Luthier 20 is really low tension, when you compare it with eg LaBella 2001 LT or Augustin Black.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Luthier set #35 is also a very good set, slightly higher tension in the basses, last longer, same trebles as set 20.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”