Aquila - Cristallo & Seta

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Aquila - Cristallo & Seta

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 am

Mimmo2us wrote: ps petermc61, enjoy with these Cristallo. I have no a special love for them ( I prefere the Seta set Trebles) but I have no nails and expecially i am not a professional player!
Hi Mimmo

I am very impressed by both the Cristallo trebles and the latest formulation of the Supernylgut trebles. Am I correct in assuming that the trebles in the Alabastro and Seta sets are the same?

Peter

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Thu May 26, 2016 10:19 am

No, the Seta set employ a modified nylgut formula.
In practise in the Seta set this kind of nylgut is more similar to gut
Mimmo

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Mimmo2us wrote:No, the Seta set employ a modified nylgut formula.
In practise in the Seta set this kind of nylgut is more similar to gut
Mimmo
Hi Mimmo

I feared you were going to say that (I'll have to compare yet another of your treble sets!!)

When you say the modified nylgut is more similar to gut, what exactly to you mean? In sound (say sweeter, or brighter of similar) or only in the material properties or feel of the string?

I also have one suggestion for you - you sell complete sets and bass sets, but not treble sets. I'd be interested if you sold 'treble only' sets in your range. This allows buyers to make their own sets that suit their guitar (such as Alabastro basses and Seta trebles together) or to mix and match with other manufacturers. Just a suggestion for your consideration.

Regards
Peter

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Thu May 26, 2016 11:13 am

Hi Peter, I will think about trebles only. Unfortuntely this make things more complicate for my collaborators that are already crazy to follow me and my crazyness. ah ah :)
well, the sound of this modified Nylgut is rounder, with faster attack, good vibrat. less sustain etc etc. less overtones but not dull like nylon that, to me lack in some quality.
what about a sample?
send me a PM?
Take care
Mimmo

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:Hi Peter, I will think about trebles only. Unfortuntely this make things more complicate for my collaborators that are already crazy to follow me and my crazyness. ah ah :)
well, the sound of this modified Nylgut is rounder, with faster attack, good vibrat. less sustain etc etc. less overtones but not dull like nylon that, to me lack in some quality.
what about a sample?
send me a PM?
Take care
Mimmo
Hi Mimmo, thanks but I already have a sample (remember, I bought two sets of Seta). The basses did not work for me but I have not tried the trebles yet. I will soon. Rounder and faster is good but less sustain probably won't suit me, so I suspect I might be better sticking with the Supernylgut from the Alabastro sets that have lovely tone and excellent sustain.

Regards
Peter

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 am

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Leo on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:26 am

I must say that I am very impressed with the Cristallo set on one of my spruce topped guitars, I put them on for the first time about a week ago, and I agree with the OP that they seem to sound like Daniel Mari trebles only richer. I also have the Zaffiro strings on my other Spruce top, and they play very well on them, with more of a sharp edge to the trebles. Try both of these strings on your guitars and I think you will have at least one winner. :D
1985 Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 am

Update on the Cristallo set. Having jumped around and tried many different sets of strings lately, I decided to put two new sets of Cristallo strings on two different guitars during a recent string change. I must say that they sound very good on both guitars.

If you want a good basic nylon string that has a rich and interesting sound, plus good volume from the treble strings, try a set of these on your guitar. I can't believe that I have not used them again sooner than now. :o
1985 Takamine C-132S

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 am

I tried Cristallo a while back and liked the sound, but intonation was horrible.

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:36 pm

jnbrown wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 am
I tried Cristallo a while back and liked the sound, but intonation was horrible.
Yes I have noticed intonation problems mostly on the g string, but not enough to put me off on the quality of the sound. And there is always the fluorocarbon g that people often use.
1985 Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

I like the Cristallos too and intonation wasn't too bad. I have some new Cristallos I'm going to try again soon, we'll see what happens. They're a really nice sounding string.

I also like the Zaffiro's but I had more intonation problems with them. No intonation issues with the Alabastros or Rubinos.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:14 pm

I also like the Zaffiro's very much. I might like the Cristallos slightly better, but both are worth a try. Something about the Alabastro's high e that I don't like, could be a slight dullness to the sound that I am sensitive too.

At Strings and Beyond you can get Cristallo or Zaffiro strings for $6.59 a set, plus if you order is more than 35 dollars, there is no shipping charges in the US or Canada.
1985 Takamine C-132S

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm

A question from left field for anyone here - are these strings only for non-nails player, or could someone with very short nails make use of them as well?

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm
A question from left field for anyone here - are these strings only for non-nails player, or could someone with very short nails make use of them as well?
As far as I know, these strings, along with most strings are for players with nails. Fluorocarbon strings, and possibly Rubino, Alabastro, or Zaffiro from the Aquila line could also work for playing without nails. I am thinking very bright strings for no nails.
1985 Takamine C-132S

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into some of these strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”