A good top E please?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bogdan

Re: A good top E please?

Post by bogdan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 am

DigitalisVersatilitus, have you tried Hannabach Goldin?
You may find them better than some other fluororcarbon strings. They are definitely not thin sounding and they are closer to regular nylon in touch.
Another one to try would be Dogal Diamante.

jscott

Post by jscott » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 am

Let's hope the dingos never go digging in Peter's back yard...

Has anyone heard from Glassynails lately?

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 am

I second the Optima 6 suggestion but substitute carbon for their nylon strings. Pricey, but they have great tone--thick and rich, but not muddy.
Joshia de Jonge 2016 spruce/African bw
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:12 am

Hannabach 900/200m medium high tension, Augustine regal blues and Labella 2001 High tension.
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 am

Gorn wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 pm
BTW: if I remember right, Knobloch is made in Spain, despite the "German" name. :wink:
... but they are of German origin, created by the Czech guitarist and music professor Jiri Knobloch in Munich where he lived, teached and had a music shop with guitar and string manufacturing workshops. The string activity was transfered to Gilles Baudu in Spain in 2009.

BTW no wonder the Hannabach strings DigitalisVersatilitus tried showed the same weakness of the top e string because the trebles of the Nylon sets you tried are identical! :wink:

Some good recommendations have already been given but considering that you are located in Sidney and Peter‘s kind offer, there is no better advice as to take this exceptional opportunity to visit him. There will no better expert and consultancy. :wink: :D

... and keep us informed how you ended up, provided that you will survive! :lol:

APK

Post by APK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 am
Scott and Souldier, I am happy to show you my guitar collection but unfortunately I’ll need to kill you then to keep it confidential. That would probably be somewhat of an inconvenience for all three of us I suspect.
Hi Peter,

I don't live anywhere near Australia but, should I ever manage to get there, and if the offer to Scott and Souldier could be extended to include me, I'd accept the terms outlined in order to see your collection.

We are speaking metaphorically – right? :?

A

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 pm

APK wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 am
Scott and Souldier, I am happy to show you my guitar collection but unfortunately I’ll need to kill you then to keep it confidential. That would probably be somewhat of an inconvenience for all three of us I suspect.
Hi Peter,

I don't live anywhere near Australia but, should I ever manage to get there, and if the offer to Scott and Souldier could be extended to include me, I'd accept the terms outlined in order to see your collection.

We are speaking metaphorically – right? :?

A
The real issue isn’t whether ‘we’ are speaking metaphorically, but whether I am. :wink:

APK

Post by APK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm

[/quote]
The real issue isn’t whether ‘we’ are speaking metaphorically, but whether I am. :wink:
[/quote]

Fair enough! But I'm ready to take my chances if you promise that, after the deed, you'll put my remains in the case with your beloved Ambridge... :D

A

DigitalisVersatilitus

Post by DigitalisVersatilitus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 am

Yes Souldier, a meeting of great minds and busy fingers is something I would look forward to. Peter has told me about his guitars. He is remarkably modest about my suggestion of an International exhibition. I shall overlook his homicidal tendencies. We will no doubt enjoy a chat. Peter has done much to steer me in the right direction.

DigitalisVersatilitus

Post by DigitalisVersatilitus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 am

Postscript.
I now have many options to try thanks to all your helpful comments. The Hannerbach 815N Bass A which has twice broken, (re-used same string), I replaced with a Stella Mari A. the result is a perfect harmonic blend between Hanna and Stella. A couple of cool chicks.
Regarding technique, I am consciously easing off pressure and now recognise I have acquired the bad habit of too much power trying to make my fingers behave. I find the Hanna 315N trebles are well matched harmonically. Thank you guys for pointing out factors of technique. Of course the sound improves as the pressure is reduced. As a friend commented “less power, more plunk". You can see I mix with intellectuals.
Thank you es335 (now there’s a guitar for you), for the comment re Knobloch. All that was dark is now light.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 am

Mixing with intellectuals and cool chicks: was there ever any doubt that playing classical guitar is hip?
8)

bellemeade

Post by bellemeade » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:23 am

I suggest that you try Knobloch QZ and Knobloch CX. The QZ in particular has great body and musicality.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 pm

DigitalisVersatilitus wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:31 pm
So the nail issue and guitar condition are, I submit secondary. Important but definitely secondary. I appreciate comments about other brands and I shall try them.
just an observation, i believe factors such as
- guitar
- strings
- nail
- technique

are all huge factors on the sound and totally dependable between them. I could not distinguish any of them.
for example, on my Bernabe that is very responsive, I need to have more glassy nails for the trebles to be totally satisfied, while my Ramirez has full, velvet trebles even without perfect polished nails..

DigitalisVersatilitus wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:31 pm
I read a earlier Delcamp blog suggesting that Paulino Bernabie strings were a brand name sourced from a major manufacturer. I see no-one knows enough to comment on the industry and how it works?
I have also researched on that
I have tried many strings brands, but everything is different. Even asked a dealer here (who knows Bernabe personally) but no clear answer.
The point is that Bernabe Strings are from an "X" manufacturer BUT they are made according to Bernabe's specifications. So it is pointless to know - even if someone knows the manufacturer, still different strings :)
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Panagi Brothers 70's
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
Gibson j45
--
2014: the comeback

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”