Aquila Alchimia strings, made from sugar cane

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Mimmo2us

Re: Aquila Alchimia strings, made from sugar cane

Post by Mimmo2us » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 am

Thank you very much for the very good feedbacks guys
So the only open problem is the squeack. We know that, after a while, it disappear in most of cases.
Maybe there is a definitive solution.
Put 5 spoons of penaut oil in 1 liter of water in a pot, make the solution very warm and put the strings for 15 minutes.
Then clean them
Somebody have time to give a try?
I have tryed. It seem to work. Of course, if the feedback are positive, we will introduce in in the standard process :D
Mimmo

Lexos

Post by Lexos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am

Mimmo2us wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 am
So the only open problem is the squeack. We know that, after a while, it disappear in most of cases.
Put 5 spoons of penaut oil in 1 liter of water in a pot, make the solution very warm and put the strings for 15 minutes.
Then clean them
I have tryed. It seem to work. Of course, if the feedback are positive, we will introduce in in the standard process :D
Mimmo
Well, sure, they are not called Alchemia for nothing right? Maybe next variant could be called Bagnomaria. :D

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am

Just sitting down playing my two guitars, one with Alchemia strings and the other with nylon strings. The difference is very noticeable, the Alchemia are so bright, clear and loud, the nylon is almost dull by comparison. :shock:
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 am

Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am
Just sitting down playing my two guitars, one with Alchemia strings and the other with nylon strings. The difference is very noticeable, the Alchemia are so bright, clear and loud, the nylon is almost dull by comparison. :shock:
I understand the appeal of bright and loud. These can be great qualities in a string when you need to project in a large area. However, especially for someone not playing regular concerts, I understand the appeal much less. Bright can be the antithesis of warm which characterizes a beautiful tone. If you have a good guitar, you should be loud enough.

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:37 am

Ricflair wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 am
Leo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am
I understand the appeal of bright and loud. These can be great qualities in a string when you need to project in a large area. However, especially for someone not playing regular concerts, I understand the appeal much less. Bright can be the antithesis of warm which characterizes a beautiful tone. If you have a good guitar, you should be loud enough.
Try them you might like them, anyway it is good to have a option to nylon. I have played carbon strings and they are also bright, but more thin and metallic in sound compared to Alchemia strings.

So, to my ears they are much more warm and rich when compared to carbon, and probably not as warm as nylon, but they have many positive factors. One major factor is the great clarity of these strings, and also no tubby g string. :wink:
Last edited by Leo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
1985 Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 am

Ricflair wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 am
Bright can be the antithesis of warm which characterizes a beautiful tone.
Not these strings. They have a gorgeous full sound to them. I've had some bright strings that sound thin or harsh, but these are not those strings. They have their own richness and warmth. I'm on my second night trying these and am really loving them. They have great timbre and are very expressive...in fact I find myself experimenting with pieces I've played for years, it's like finding new life in those old familiar tunes.

And no squeaks! :)
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

I agree with the above reviews. Especially that nast G string problem. Not with these. And it’s not the volume that wows me as much as the sustain.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

James Stephens
Teacher

Post by James Stephens » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Mimmo2us wrote:
Then clean them
Mimmo
Hi Mimmo,

I might try it but does it have to be peanut oil? Just curious. Also, approximate temperature? Stir or no stir? I have no idea how this works but I'd be curious if you had an explaination.

Thanks!
James

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Disclaimer, I have only had these "Sugar" strings on for about 2 days. The "squeak" is there, but is manageable without resorting to alternative measures. Will be interesting to see if it goes away with time. I agree with others who say the strings offer perhaps more modulation and expressiveness in playing. I have not put the basses on yet. They are an interesting dark reddish color, from a stylistic point they are cool looking. Maybe I will go back to the Augustine Imperials I have been using, but these strings are worth a try imo.

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 am

I too had a problem with the intonation on the high e string. Decided to reverse the string and retie. Who knows why, but it is now an amazing string, excellent sustain and volume! These strings have to be experienced.

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 am

Kintla wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 pm
Disclaimer, I have only had these "Sugar" strings on for about 2 days. The "squeak" is there, but is manageable without resorting to alternative measures. Will be interesting to see if it goes away with time. I agree with others who say the strings offer perhaps more modulation and expressiveness in playing. I have not put the basses on yet. They are an interesting dark reddish color, from a stylistic point they are cool looking. Maybe I will go back to the Augustine Imperials I have been using, but these strings are worth a try imo.
Kintla, are you talking about the Sugar strings or the Alchemia strings? This is the Alchemia topic thread, similar but different strings, we have a separate thread for the Sugar strings, thanks for your information.
1985 Takamine C-132S

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm

James Stephens wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Mimmo2us wrote:
Then clean them
Mimmo
Hi Mimmo,

I might try it but does it have to be peanut oil? Just curious. Also, approximate temperature? Stir or no stir? I have no idea how this works but I'd be curious if you had an explaination.

Thanks!
Yes, I’d like to know the answers to these questions, as well. Particularly, can olive oil or coconut oil be used in place of peanut oil?

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:47 pm

4th day playing these on my 1A, tuning is settling in and the strings are really wowing me! A lively, bright, clear, resonant and full sound that produces a variety of tones and colors. Intonation is spot on.

Unless the Sugars are better (which go on next), I'm going to settle on these permanently and finally stop this quest for the holy grail of strings...I believe I've found them.

And I'm just not experiencing those treble squeaks at all. Maybe it's just my awesome technique? (NOT!).
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm

BTW I see Strings by Mail finally has the Alchemia's!
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 am

ameriken wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:47 pm
4th day playing these on my 1A, tuning is settling in and the strings are really wowing me! A lively, bright, clear, resonant and full sound that produces a variety of tones and colors. Intonation is spot on.

Unless the Sugars are better (which go on next), I'm going to settle on these permanently and finally stop this quest for the holy grail of strings...I believe I've found them.
My favorite strings also, but I have not tried the the Sugar yet. :wink:
1985 Takamine C-132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”