Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Re: Rectified strings - once you get beyond the rough texture

Post by joachim33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:01 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am
At right angles.
Ah - 90 degrees not 90%. Thanks, but that is something you have to control when using nails on bass strings as well.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Oops. Sorry about that!

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:13 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Hannabach makes terribly good nylons (815, 825...), for example.
The trebles in the 825 series are the same as 815. Only the basses are different. And I totally agree, those are excellent trebles.

Exactly, that's what I meant: At least Hannabach 815 825, 850 and 900 have the same clear P.R. - Precision-round (100% uniform round without irregularities or deviations) - trebles.

... It is a "rectification" process. But better.

- The rough texture of "traditional rectified trebles" is a consequence, not a quality... Although you can get used to it.

Greetings,

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:21 am

Oleo wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:13 pm
Exactly, that's what I meant: At least Hannabach 815 825, 850 and 900 have the same clear P.R. - Precision-round (100% uniform round without irregularities or deviations) - trebles.

... It is a "rectification" process. But better. ...
Are you sure?

Though really nice Nylon trebles with good intonation, I didn‘t experience that their round- and evenness are equal to rectified trebles with this unavoidable texture.

Oleo

Post by Oleo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:04 pm

es335 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:21 am
Are you sure?
Yes, just read the documentation on the Hannabach page.

In addition, if you have doubts about the purpose of the "rectification process", on the Savarez page (who originally developed it, or at least they say so) there is information about it.

robjh22

Post by robjh22 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:22 am

Anyone else noticed that those rough rectified strings are easier to grab for pulloffs(?) I don't have them at the moment but I like the feel.

Icarus11

Post by Icarus11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:40 pm

I have tried almost all the strings on the market and I can no longer stand clear nylon. I find that they sound "plastic" unlike rectified nylon, which has a much softer, warmer sound, and a better elasticity. I tried all the brands and finally opted for the EJ29 rectified D'addario. Why? Because they are very low tension and are the least noisy of the rectified strings. They also have a particularly long lifespan and a perfect balance. The basses (identical to EJ43) are a little metallic at first but after 4 or 5 days they're perfect! I would like to point out that I play with few nails, on classical and flamenca Torres models, and that I have played in the past on early instruments. My technical and musical approach is therefore no stranger to this choice.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 pm

I am fond of rectified strings too!Strangely I can play with less shifting friction and hitting clicking noise with rectified strings.I produced more noticeable "click" sound on normal nylons with right hand.

The only problem that I have is, the rectified strings "eat" alway my nails slightly and leaving a rough surface every time I play.I am not sure wether I have weak nails or it is comon with these strings.By the way, my nails are very very short.So I swicthed back to playing clear nylons.

I only tried Savarez 520r set.Hope to try out some other brands.Has anyone here play Rotosound Superia CL3 before?
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 pm

The 520R strings and the D Addario are radically different. The Savarez classic R series with that white plastic nylon has a lot of string noise. The Pro Arte are not the same materials. It is much more like conventional nylon and has a sort of frosty finish, they are much less noisy, but have a bit of texture for grip...Not sure what to make of them...I could try them again and I will if only my ears can take the neutrality.

I had a set of the 520R for over three months and enjoy them when they wore out, I felt like the high tension became less and less as they stretched but the intonation was still good.

For people who say they don't like rectified, it might be because they have only had the 520R...Apples and oranges to the Pro Arte or La bella rectified.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”