Aquila Ambra 2000 strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
aprayinbear

Aquila Ambra 2000 strings

Post by aprayinbear » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm certain this has been said before, but I want to cast my vote for Aquila's Ambra 2000 string set. I believe the entire set is medium tension. The trebles are Nylgut and the basses are wound Nygut mono-filament. As others have said, they take a while to settle in, both in stretch and tone. The bass strings are unlike any string I have played before. They begin with a dull tone(I'm accustomed to base strings sounding great at first and then becoming dull very quickly), but become much cleaner and sweeter in a day or so. Sustain and volume are both good, probably not the best for the concert hall, but a pure tone that accentuates the fundamental. Perfect for home and recital hall. That is very nice to my ears and matches my playing well. The trebles are clean and crisp. They are bright without sounding metallic and maintain their sweet sound. And.... the trebles seem to last forever. I'm on my third set now and I've never had a treble string become dull. In fact I only change them when I change the basses so I don't have a stash of trebles sitting on my desk.

Then there is the cost. I don't know why they are so inexpensive, but they are. :casque: For those who may be interested, I play an Esteve 3z. Strings and guitar are a good match.

I will probably never be able to justify the cost of gut strings. Aquila Ambra 2000s are intended to approximate the sound of genuine gut strings. So I can't tell you how similar the 2000s are to real thing, but I like the sweet clear sound, and I like the price. What more can I ask for? :bravo:

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Aquila Ambra 2000 strings

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

They are great. I think the regular Alabastro nylgut have a little bit more bright character if your interested in that. But these strings have warmth as the strength. Tired of bright loud ringing tone, these don't do that. They are really suited for that 19th century melodramatic romantic parlor music. I like them quite a bit.

Jedaks

Post by Jedaks » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:08 am

Does anyone know if these particular strings can handle standard 440hz tuning? I believe the 900 and 800 sets require lower tension tuning.

Thanks
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:09 pm

yeah 2000 is modern 440

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:21 pm

According to the description I've read of the Ambra 2000's "This set was conceived for one grade of tension and consists of white coloured Nylgut for Trebles, while for the basses (silvered copper wires wound on Nylgut multifilament core)"

Isn't that basically the same as the Alabastro's?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:28 pm

https://aquilacorde.com/en/shop/modern- ... mbra-2000/
it is not the same as Alabastro: :D
1) This kind of nylgut is a bit different (it is more gut-like)
2) the profile of tension of the set is gut-like (i.e., less scaled than the modern sets, Alabastro enclosed)
3) the basses has a different metallicity index, i.e.-- they are less metallic; more similar to silk wound basses of the past
Mimmo

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Great, thanks Mimmo, I've got a set of Ambra's and Perla's on order.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”