Luthier Strings Tension?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Eihcal298

Luthier Strings Tension?

Post by Eihcal298 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:44 am

Does anybody know the actual gauge of Luthier Stringa?
I’ve been using the Luthier Concert Silver Set 30 Med/High Tension and love them...they feel like they have more tension than the Ej46s that I’m used to but can’t dind the weight/tension specs online anywhere.

rojarosguitar

Re: Luthier Strings Tension?

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:40 am

I have even written an email to the Luthier Strings maker without getting any response. You will probably have to measure it yourself if you want to be sure. But the tension alone is not going to allow to predict how a set will feel, because it also depends on the lateral stiffness of the string as well as on constructive aspects of the guitar itself.

Recently I had a set of Daniel Mari NT Flamenco strings on a very traditionally built Stenzel flamenca with 640mm scale length and they were too hard for my taste, and a set of Augustine Red Basses on a 660mmm Alvarez flamenca (very modern construction). The Mari basses felt too hard on Stenzel, the Augustine too soft on Alvarez. Swapped the basses; the Augustine feel just right on the Stenzel, still strong enough, despite the shorter scale length, and the Mari fell just right, not at all too hard, on the Alvarez, despite the longer scale... Difficult to predict, one just needs the experience.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Eihcal298

Post by Eihcal298 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 am

Thanks! My mate has also contacted Luthier but not heard back from them. Apparently Strings by Mail are getting a machine and will be measuring all the strings on their site and uploading the information next year (2019).
I agree 100% about the way they feel depending on the instrument, it also need the specs because the manufacturer of my friend’s guitar (7 String) recommends using tension no higher than the D’addarios or it could void warranty. Obviously there is already a lot of tension with the added 7th bass string.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:28 am

I would rather worry about the terms a warranty using D'addario (which?) as measurement standard.

First of all D'addario could change their tensions without any notification at their liking. Secondly there is no easy reliable way to tell whether the numbers the makers provide are actually accurate apart from measuring the tension with a reliable method. And how will the luthier actually prove that it's indeed a string set and not a faulty work that led to a damaged guitar ... that sounds a bit silly in my ears.

I would understand if he said, please use light tension guitars because its very lightly built, too hard strings will suffocate the sound, will raise the top too much or whatever, bur void the warranty???

I have a seven string flamenca built by our member Alexandru Marian (Bucuresti) and I can throw any set of strings on it. Some will sound better, some will be too tight, but there is no limitation as long as one is using string tensions in any sensible limits and not outrageously high tensions...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”