FAQ on classical guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Matthew

FAQ on classical guitar strings?

Post by Matthew » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:57 pm

I like to think I am an advanced beginner or very early intermediate player playing an Alhambra Senorita (7/8 scale). Is there a good FAQ on guitar strings on line? I wonder what tension is best for a smaller guitar and also would like to know advantages/disadvantages between the different nylon trebles and steel wound bass choices. Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all!

Chuah Hui Hsien

Re: FAQ on classical guitar strings?

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:15 am

Yes, there are a lot of topics discussing about strings,and many helpful reviews on various made and tension of strings that the forum members have used on their own guitars.Some of them are truly "guitar strings masters" indeed,they have the "tried and tested" first hand knowledge. You will be grateful for their tips.

But, you must bear in mind that each guitar has their own unique character, the wood choices, the design, scale length, sometimes the humidity level, your nails... etc.All these factors will contribute to the final tonal quality you would receive.

I own a full size Alhambra, it sounds good with D'addario EJ or EXP 45/46.The only draw back is the 3rd string G feel slack and thuddy.The EJ45/46 C comes with composite G string.This is basic guideline,from here you can explore to various brands, some are cheap but not lasting, some are expensive and good but also not lasting (so called performance strings, you have to avoid).

Generally, carbon or titanium strings are more expensive than normal nylon,also stiffer under the fingers.If you play with long nails, you will ruin or scratch the carbon,titanium, cristal clear nylon very fast.

Alhambra guitars are versatile,they are okay with any made of strings, just make sure the tensions are suitable.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 am

Matthew wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:57 pm
I wonder what tension is best for a smaller guitar..
I use what are generally viewed as hard, or extra hard tension strings on shorter scale guitars. The higher tension helps the strings to not feel like wet noodles on the shorter guitar. You may even want to try a carbon set which are generally higher tension than the same named nylon counterpart.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:56 am

Hi, Scott Phillips,

Are you still in favour with Jose Ramirez strings. I recently put on a hard tension on my 64cm guitar. The tension feels right on it,I like the tone projection too.At least they didn't play like wet noodles 😂!

I wonder if you can suggest to me some other good stuffs that would go well with my Torres?
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”