G String

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Neumsky

G String

Post by Neumsky » Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

No...it's not butt floss I'm talking about haha. I don't care which guitar I've owned...the 3rd (G String) NEVER sounds right! Anything that can be done about this? :discussion:

Pierre330

Re: G String

Post by Pierre330 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am

Don't play anything that uses that string... problem fixed!!

From my experience, and what I've read here, the G string seems to be a hard beast to tame in general.

Neumsky

Post by Neumsky » Fri May 10, 2013 11:18 am

Pierre330 wrote:Don't play anything that uses that string... problem fixed!!

From my experience, and what I've read here, the G string seems to be a hard beast to tame in general.
Haha :-o

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon 0.91mm fishing line. The best g3-string on earth, period.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Vadim Nikitin

Post by Vadim Nikitin » Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Sometimes it's help for me to use a piece of match near nut under the G string.

More exactly: tune G string for B (4 fret) and D (seventh fret) to be in tune with second and fourth string, then put piece of match for tune open G correctly. Right now the decrease of effective length (distance from the nut to border of match) of G string is 5 mm.

es335

Post by es335 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:50 am

Vadim Nikitin wrote:... then put piece of match for tune open G correctly. Right now the decrease of effective length (distance from the nut to border of match) of G string is 5 mm.
That's an interesting suggestion. I already found that matching G (7th fret) and B (3rd fret) to open D does improve the G string but will try next time to use G as reference to see if that is even better. But I do not understand the above cited rest of your idea and would appreciate if you could explain that a bit more detailed!? :?:

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel » Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 am

Same problem, solution for me was to use a carbon string. I presently use the hannbach Goldin, all my other strings are nylon. It sounds right.

el Corcobés

Post by el Corcobés » Sat May 11, 2013 9:31 am

I normally buy 3-(set)packs of D'darrio Pro Arte.

I have found though that Augustine Red Imperial 3rd (G) is a lot sweeter,richer/deeper-toned, mellow, easier to finger than the EJ45 .

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm

The G string is an ancient problem on a classical guitar. One thing that has worked for some - but not for others - is a wound third string. There are metal wound third strings, and Savarez makes a really good plastic wound third string that sounds better than metal, which makes sense in the context.

You could at least try one - it's worth a shot. If it works you've solved your problem, and if it doesn't you're only out the cost of one string. You can buy one string by itself at SBM.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Vadim Nikitin

Post by Vadim Nikitin » Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 pm

es335 wrote:<...> But I do not understand the above cited rest of your idea and would appreciate if you could explain that a bit more detailed!? :?:

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Sat May 11, 2013 9:35 pm

My problem for the last 40 years has generally been the B string; tuning it by ear, tuning it with a chromatic tuner, breaking more frequently than the other strings, etc.
:(

PAN A575

Post by PAN A575 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Vadim Nikitin wrote:
es335 wrote:<...> But I do not understand the above cited rest of your idea and would appreciate if you could explain that a bit more detailed!? :?:
One would have hoped, that after all these decades of guitar building, this problem of G string intonation would have been corrected by now at the bridge and saddle, rather than having to resort to a match stick at the nut. Why can't this be remedied?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 11, 2013 10:05 pm

PAN A575 wrote:
Vadim Nikitin wrote:
One would have hoped, that after all these decades of guitar building, this problem of G string intonation would have been corrected by now at the bridge and saddle, rather than having to resort to a match stick at the nut. Why can't this be remedied?
I find the distance you show in your picture quite huge and I would suspect that the compensation in this guitar hasn't been executed any near to correct.
I know some g-strings show more intonation problems than others. With Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon 0.91mm I don't experience any intonation problems - null. I might be deaf :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sat May 11, 2013 10:14 pm

I've been playing for years and I have always had the opinion that the G string sounds the best out of all the strings. It sounds nice and thick and "Spanishy" and has nice thivk vibrato. The string I detest the most has always been the high E string!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

Vadim Nikitin

Post by Vadim Nikitin » Sat May 11, 2013 10:28 pm

PAN A575 wrote: <...>
Fortunately with guitar itself everything is OK, problem is in the G string exactly as in this topic was described. It depend on set of string. Sometimes intonation is OK on all strings, sometimes not, but more often problem is in G string. May be it because of technology of production of strings is not so good as of fishing lines as rojarosgitar describe.

Adjustable compensation in nut and saddle definitely would solve the problem but its not produced yet. But we have a lot of match sticks instead :)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”