Lightest Strings Ever

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
es335

Re: Lightest Strings Ever

Post by es335 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:48 am

Another contribution from the suppliers spec rather than personal experience.
D'Addrio Pro Arte EJ29 moderate tension with rectified trebles.
The basses are identical to EJ43 LT but the trebles are even lighter.

Being app. 0.0005" thinner than EJ43 makes me believe they might be just ground EJ43 trebles!?
Just wonder about d'Addario's moderate tension classification which actually should be extra light! :?

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Thu May 21, 2015 12:48 pm

Robert,

The Hard Ivory Saddle has increased the sustain on the guitar and made the trebles a bit "sweeter" than the bone saddle. My trebles tended toward the harsh side of things. I have noticed a dramatic improvement in the overall sound of the guitar using the west African hard ivory saddle. I got it from Bob Colosi, you can Google "guitarsaddles" dot com. You can mail an existing saddle to Bob and he will make one exactly to match. He leaves a tiny bit that you will need to sand down for the perfect fit, but I had it within a week and it worked great.

I have actually reached the point (for the moment) where I am not actively experimenting with other string choices since I'm very happy with my existing setup. One other point is that I believe the sound with the String-Ties is better than without them. It probably increases the tension ever so slightly, and it seems to work better for me.

Good luck in your experimentation. I look forward to hearing how you get along with it!

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu May 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks!
As to Savarez Cantiga: I don't see anything called medium tension, I seem only to find normal tension or high tension (SBM) Is normal tension (red) what you meant?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri May 22, 2015 2:50 am

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:Dear Tate:

At first: I keep my fingers crossed for healing of your hand.

Some time ago I have joined the "Low Tension Club" :) and I have been playing LaBella 2001 Light Tension and they are really light and easy to play. Then I went to (more expensive) Jose Ramirez Medium all nylon set. I find them as "light" under my old LH fingers as these LaBella, just the tones are more up to my liking.
Thanks Jacek! I will have to try those. :)
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri May 22, 2015 2:52 am

rojarosguitar wrote:Problems with my left hand thumb are one of the reasons for me to go as light as possible; on the other hand some of my guitars also respond very well to go lighter (which is a good luck). That's why I try out light tension strings.

The scale length is another issue for me. As much as I love my Stenzel (660mm), it is harder to play with my current problems. I didn't think this could ever become a problem ... :(

Anyway, hope the best for your hand, Thateharmann
Thanks as well :) what exactly is the LH thumb issue you have??

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri May 22, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks for enquiry. It's general pain around the main muscle at the ground joint, so that sometimes I cant develop enough strength for stretched fingerings (like i at first fret und a half-barée at 5th fret - Koyunbaba first Movement). This is especially more difficult with 660 scale length.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Thanks!
As to Savarez Cantiga: I don't see anything called medium tension, I seem only to find normal tension or high tension (SBM) Is normal tension (red) what you meant?
Robert,

Yes, the normal tension is what I'm referring to. They are easy to fret, easy on the left hand, and while lighter in tension, I still get no "buzzing" when using these.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Fri May 22, 2015 3:49 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Thanks for enquiry. It's general pain around the main muscle at the ground joint, so that sometimes I cant develop enough strength for stretched fingerings (like i at first fret und a half-barée at 5th fret - Koyunbaba first Movement). This is especially more difficult with 660 scale length.
Ah :/ I feel your pain!! Downsizing the scale length definitely helps :) LH issues are very frustrating though I wish you the best!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 23, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”