New Publication for Lute and also Guitar

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
RobMacKillop

New Publication for Lute and also Guitar

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Some self publicity here, so apologies to the Mods if I overstep a line.

My Introduction to the Lute for Lute and Guitar Players, published by Mel Bay, has proved to be a big seller, and consequently Mel Bay commissioned a follow-up repertoire supplement. The aforementioned book has tab for both lute and guitar, but I suggested the repertoire supplement should be two editions, one for lute, one for guitar. Despite the extra expense, they agreed.

From the publisher's website:

80 pages of great lute music:

Lute-Lute-Rep.jpg

Renaissance Lute Repertoire - Lute Tablature Edition can be viewed as either a supplement to the popular Introduction to the Lute: for Lute and Guitar Players or as a standalone edition of 16th-century lute tablatures.

Play from beautifully-typeset scores, music by John Dowland, Francesco da Milano, Vincenzo Galilei (father of the famous astronomer) and many others, including vihuela composers Narváez and Milán. Together, this collection provides a beautiful and extensive overview of music for the renaissance lute.

The above edition is in French lute tablature.

Lute-Guitar-Rep.jpg
Renaissance Lute Repertoire - Guitar Tablature Edition.

TUNING: To get Renaissance lute tuning on a guitar, all you need to do is tune the 3rd string, G, down one semitone to F♯. That’s it. Then just read the tab as normal.

CONTENTS

Giovanni da Crema
- Amy Souffres
- Ricercar terzo
Joan Ambrosio Dalza
- Calata de strambotti
- Tastar de corda [1]
- Tastar de corda [2]
Esteban Daza
- Fantasia [1]
- Fantasia [15]
- Fantasia [21]
John Dowland
- A Dream
- Aloe
- What if a day
Francesco da Milano
- Ricercar [9]
- Fantasia [12]
- Fantasia [23]
- Fantasia [38]
- De mon triste desplaisir [121]
- Ricercar nono [50]
Vicenzo Galilei
- Calliope
Hans Judenkünig
- Ain Niderlandisch runden dantz
- Mein hertzigs
- Saphica
Luis de Milán
- Fantasia [1]
- Fantasia [2]
- Fantasia [7]
Luys de Narváez
- Ardé, coracon, ardé
- Baxa de contrapunto
- Conde Claros
- Guardame las vacas [1]
- Guardame las vacas [2]
- Mille Regretz
Hans Neusidler
- Ach unfall zeihest du mich
- Ein seer guter organistischer preambel
- Preambel
Francesco Spinacino
- Recercar [8]
- Recercare [14]
- Recercar de tous biens
Robert Gordon of Straloch
- Hench me Mallie Gray
- Whip my toudie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RobMacKillop

Re: New Publication for Lute and also Guitar

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:56 pm

PS Any questions, just ask.

Conall

Post by Conall » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:01 pm

Well done Rob!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks, Conall :D

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 pm

I have questions about the volume for lute: roughly what level (of skill) are these pieces at, or is there a mixture? And, how many courses is it for? Oh, and are these original versions, or have you edited the pieces? Thanks!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:22 pm

All originally 6c lute. Not arrangements. Mixed level.

Cheers :-)

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks, good to know! Cheers to you, too!

Juanito

Post by Juanito » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 am

Will online audio be available for the pieces in the repertoire books? I've always found listening to the music very helpful in learning pieces.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:05 am

No. There are too many pieces for me to record within the timescale of the publication. However, i recommend my Introduction To The Lute For Lute and Guitar Players, which does have recordings of every one of its twenty-five pieces. Again, that's a Mel Bay publication.

Juanito

Post by Juanito » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks for the reply, Rob. And this is off-topic, but I want you to know that my 12 year old son and I are working on some pieces from your "Bach Uke Book". I do the guitar parts. So much fun!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 am

Good to know, Juanito! :-)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:58 am

Congratulations. Is the guitar edition tab only, does it not also include notation?
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 am

Tab only. I know. The Introduction To book was all about getting guitarists to think like lute players, which, when you are playing lute music, is a valuable thing. YOU have to decide how long that bass note lasts. Generally it is very obvious. I recognise that some classical guitarists see tab entirely negatively, and point-blank refuse to read it. But if it was good enough for the likes of John Dowland, Weiss, etc, then can't be all bad.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:29 am
Tab only. I know. The Introduction To book was all about getting guitarists to think like lute players, which, when you are playing lute music, is a valuable thing. YOU have to decide how long that bass note lasts. Generally it is very obvious. I recognise that some classical guitarists see tab entirely negatively, and point-blank refuse to read it. But if it was good enough for the likes of John Dowland, Weiss, etc, then can't be all bad.
I've never been a great fan of tablature but since buying my 11 string guitar I've had to get into it to find reliable versions of the 7 & 9 course music of Dowland & the other Renaissance masters. The French tab is very useful for finding out when the low basses were used (not put up an octave as in 6 string guitar transcriptions). It's also handy for discovering the original positions used by the composer (although I still change those occasionally if I find a good enough musical or sometimes technical reason for doing so).

Ideally guitarists should learn French lute tab and just buy your lute book do you not think? I understand you are trying to reach as wide an audience as possible but it's hardly any more difficult to read than guitar tab & guitarists could then investigate the wealth of music out there for lute without having to rely on guitar staff versions that often take too many liberties with the score.

Another thing I prefer about French tab to guitar tab is the fact that it's easier to see the letters sitting in the spaces (though I don't know if your book does this? - I've seen Fr tab letters written on the lines too) rather than numbers with the lines through them.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Great list, Rob, excellent work, some of my favorite music! I will put some pennies in your pocket!
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Members' Announcements”