First ever Classical Guitar vlog!

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
mercefont

First ever Classical Guitar vlog!

Post by mercefont » Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm Merce Font and I'm a new member in this Forum! :) The reason I make this post is because I just started a new project that I wanted to share with you all. I've started a Youtube channel www.youtube.com/mercefont for sharing my experience and development as a musician with you all. The point of it is that we can all exchange experiences, tips, knowledge, music and lots of guitar stuff in a very direct and entertaining way.

The reason that brought me to start with vlogging is that in just some months from now, I’ll be closing a big chapter of my life, my time as a student, which is pretty much my entire life. It’s an exciting time for me, full of possibilities, hopes, dreams and changes, but also frightening, in a way, for its uncertainty. I don’t know how my life is going to become and that's why I decided to start a vlog and experience this journey together. I'm sure that, not only lots of music lovers would love to know how living as a musician really looks like but also to show to the public which kind of work, struggles and joys go into our craft.

The first three vlogs are already published in my channel, so if you are interested to see how this project really looks like just search my name 'Merce Font' on Youtube and you'll find it :) If you find it interesting and you want to be part of this journey, please, SUBSCRIBE to my channel or SHARE my videos; it would help me incredibly much to keep creating content for you and produce new videos about what you are really interested in :casque:

I'll be posting one new video every week so I'm looking forward seeing some of you on the channel and have lots of fun and learn a lot together! :D

Vlog #1

Vlog #2

Vlog #3

Thanks for reading my post and I'll be looking forward to read your thoughts about it :)
Best wishes,

Merce

mercefont

Re: First ever Classical Guitar vlog!

Post by mercefont » Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am

Nev video entries!
Let me know if you enjoy my vlogs, all feedback is appreciated! :)

Vlog 4

Vlog 5

Guero

Post by Guero » Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 pm

¡Hola maja!
Thanks to your YT channel I discovered Konstantin Vassiliev!!
(and I like your Vlogs as well...)
Saludos, Güero.

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 am

Dear Güero,

I'm very happy to read you enjoyed the vlogs and discovered Vassiliev, he is indeed an incredible composer, I'm sure you are going to have a great time discovering more of his music :)
I wish you a very nice week!

M*

Guero wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 pm
¡Hola maja!
Thanks to your YT channel I discovered Konstantin Vassiliev!!
(and I like your Vlogs as well...)
Saludos, Güero.

mercefont

New Vlog entry

Post by mercefont » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:42 am

VLOG #6!

Welcome to my conservatory, my guitar lessons, and my life as a classical guitar master student at Luca School of Arts in Leuven, Belgium. I'll be showing you around how my conservatory is like, my work, my studies and, as usual, sharing with you some tips you might find useful to try out in your own practice sessions!

I hope you will find it interesting and, most of all useful for your own practice!

🎶 Don't forget to Like & Subscribe to stay updated with the latest content! VLOGS uploaded weekly! Let me know in the comments which part you enjoyed the most.

If you have any questions or topic you'd like me to talk about at the next one!
😍🎶🌸

mercefont

Vlog#7

Post by mercefont » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:47 pm

🎉 NEW VLOG on my Youtube Channel!

🎸This week I finally had the defense of my Master Thesis, the research I've been working for almost two years! For me, it has been an incredible learning journey through Baroque music and understand better how it was spoken at that time.

🎶I made this vlog to talk with you about music, arrangements and transcriptions and the different processes that are involved for a piece of music to come to life, from the composer side until the performance.

😊👉Let me know your thoughts/experiences about the topic, it will be very enriching for all of us to share our the ideas in the comment box! :)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

Interesting vlogs! It'd be nice if you hadn't cut the key parts such as your performance or the masterclass ;)
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am
Interesting vlogs! It'd be nice if you hadn't cut the key parts such as your performance or the masterclass ;)

I agree! The reasons I didn't record it was on one hand for the respect I have for the professor's work (I didn't find very appropriate to be more busy with the camera than their masterclass) and also to respect their privacy, because not everyone likes being filmed :p

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

mercefont wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

I agree! The reasons I didn't record it was on one hand for the respect I have for the professor's work (I didn't find very appropriate to be more busy with the camera than their masterclass) and also to respect their privacy, because not everyone likes being filmed :p
You are right!
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Not to be negative about your endeavor, but I am turned off by vlogs. So often they seem to chronicle every step of a person's day with them waking up, making breakfast, walking to the next place etc etc. And then to stay relevant the vlogger needs to keep making new vlogs. So they need to come up with new ideas for a vlog, and it just becomes gratuitous accounts of the minutia of their life.

But, apparently if you get subscribers and people give you lots of "likes," then you're succeeding. Just not my cup of tea.

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Not to be negative about your endeavor, but I am turned off by vlogs. So often they seem to chronicle every step of a person's day with them waking up, making breakfast, walking to the next place etc etc. And then to stay relevant the vlogger needs to keep making new vlogs. So they need to come up with new ideas for a vlog, and it just becomes gratuitous accounts of the minutia of their life.

But, apparently if you get subscribers and people give you lots of "likes," then you're succeeding. Just not my cup of tea.
Dear soltirefa,

I totally respect your opinion, if you don't enjoy the idea or concept of vlogs nobody requests you to watch them, there is no need for you to waste time on something you dislike. In fact, you couldn't be more right, everyone should enjoy their cup of tea :)

On the other hand there are also many people who do enjoy this kind of content just because is not a sophisiticated production but an experience more down to earth through which one can get an insight on a type of life which is not like yours or which one might be curious to know more about. If only my vlogs inspire people to keep practicing, retake the guitar, improve their skills, expand their musical knowledge or simply offer a good moment of entertainment it is all worth it for me. Hence this content is made just for these persons.

Believe me when I say that I do get what you mean with "they seem to chronicle every step of a person's day with them waking up, making breakfast, walking to the next place etc etc.", yet, if you would have seen any of my videos at all, you would have understood that watching me have breakfast is not the point of it. My projects (be it concerts, festivals, competitions or any other musical related project) are what drive the content through which I open up a window to talk about different music concepts, guitar works, pieces, technique, entrepreneurial ideas for musicians and, in general, a large variety of experiences related to this job that people might find useful to know about without creating yet another guitar channel 'technique tutorials exclusive'. I don't see anything wrong in sharing the musical experience from a new light for classical guitarists.

Of course, I take as a pretext my daily life because thats what I do and what I studied for. Rather short youtube videos, or vlogs, are accesible enough for me to record and edit and entretaining/educative enough for people to follow it and enjoy free content anytime.

Anyways, if my goal was to accumulate 'likes' to feel successful you can be certain that I wouldn't have started vlogs on such a small niche like the classical guitar...
If I only wanted to "hunt" likes I would rather do something much more trivial with a much more "appealing look" (you certainly know what I mean because the net is full of such channels). What matters to me is that, in fact, I receive daily moving feedback from persons who really found my work useful. That is what matters to me the most.

In any case, thanks for your comment, sometimes criticism can help us to be even more certain about what one really wants to do. No hard feelings at all :)

M*

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:13 am

I've enjoyed your vlog posts, Merce.

Fine quality picture and sound.

As one who studied at a music conservatory in the past, it's interesting to compare with your recent experiences as shown in the vid.

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Lawler wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:13 am
I've enjoyed your vlog posts, Merce.

Fine quality picture and sound.

As one who studied at a music conservatory in the past, it's interesting to compare with your recent experiences as shown in the vid.
Thank you :) In fact, it would be interesting to know how was in the conservatories in your time and compare it to what they have become today... Sometimes I find that Conservatoires try to reinvent themselves in ways that do not help much the musicians of nowadays or even worse, interrupt an already well-functioning educational system just for the sake of 'modernizing' the way some subjects are lectured.

Thanks for your feedback and I wish you a great weekend!

M*

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm

New vlog in my Channel!

VLOG#8

mercefont

Post by mercefont » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm

VLOG#9

Today's vlog: TIPS for playing HARMONICS on the guitar. Concert day (Part 1).
Today I'm heading to Vallendar (Germany) to play in duo with Maestro Carlo Marchione at the Festival Vallendar GitarrenTage. I'm so excited to show you how it's going to be!

We will be opening the concert with some wonderful music of Morricone which uses A LOT the natural harmonics of the guitar. So I share with you some tips that can be useful to get better sounding harmonics in the upper frets! :)

I hope that you enjoy it, find it useful and entertaining! You can always Subscribe to my channel to be part of this family, I'll be delighted to welcome you here! Feel free also to write a comment and tell me what you think and if my tips were useful for you :)

Return to “Members' Announcements”