James Lister - luthier

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
James Lister
Luthier

Re: James Lister Handbuilt Classical Guitars

Post by James Lister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know I'll be exhibiting my guitars at the Classical Guitar Weekend at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on the 15th and 16th of January.

I'll be there from 10:00am on both Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th. Recitals from Xuefei Yang and Craig Ogden, plus workshops and masterclasses. There are also some free events in the foyer (Gordon Dunn and Tom McKinney).

I'm hoping to have 3 guitars to show - one fairly standard Hauser model in Spruce/Indian rosewood, one in Bird's eye maple (sold), and one in Brazilian rosewood (if I get the polishing finished in time).

Hope to see some of you there.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Alexandru Marian
Luthier

Post by Alexandru Marian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:04 pm

I would like to see it a bit more narrow, and perhaps with different content, showing more from the guitar, or focused on the rosette.

skmcclure

Post by skmcclure » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Beautiful work James. I love the simplicity of the rosette and the match to the tie block. They look like the same woods in the photo, some sort of mahogany maybe?

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 pm

skmcclure wrote:Beautiful work James. I love the simplicity of the rosette and the match to the tie block. They look like the same woods in the photo, some sort of mahogany maybe?
Yes, it's the same wood on the rosette and the tie block - in this case it's thuya burr (or burl), although I somtimes use camphor burr, which looks pretty similar but is slightly easier to work.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:35 pm

I finally got round to publishing a newsletter. I'm planning to send one out to my mailing list every 1 to 2 months. It will contain information on what I'm working on, where I'm exhibiting, and possibly even the occasional special offer!

The first edition includes a few photos of a recent Bird's-eye maple guitar taken by a professional photographer I've just started working with, and news of upcoming website upgrades. If you'd like to take a look, click here.

To subscribe to the newsletter, send me a PM with your email address.

James

James Lister
Luthier

New Website Images and Audio samples

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Folks,

I've just done some updating on my website - more new photos taken by photographer David Shapiro, and new sound samples recorded by my teacher Nick Fletcher.

Here are a few sample photos to whet your appetite.

Two of the guitars in the new Galleries are currently available for sale - the Spruce/Indian rosewood guitar in Gallery 1, and the Rio rosewood guitar in Gallery 5.

James

MikeToot

Post by MikeToot » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

I love your spruce/ Indian rosewood guitar, James. Quite the gorgeous piece of art. Once I win the lottery, I'll be on the next jet over. :)

(Some day, some day. *sigh*)

James Lister
Luthier

James Lister Guitars - Now on Twitter!

Post by James Lister » Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 am

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know I am now on Twitter if any of you would like to follow me. jlisterguitars on Twitter

At the moment I'm posting very general stuff, partly about guitar making, but mostly social. I'm planning very soon to start using it to log the build of one of my guitars, with links to photos and as many words as I can fit into 140 characters per post!

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

The above mentioned log of my latest build is now being posted on Twitter (and also on Facebook). First set of photos went up today showing construction of the neck and head. Heel to follow soon, then soundboard and rosette.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:10 am

Here's some photos of the Brazilian rosewood/spruce top guitar I currently have available for sale.
Bridge074.jpg
Rosette074.jpg
Rib074.jpg
Back074.jpg
Front074.jpg
Send me a PM for more info (and the price!)

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm

The Classical Guitar Retreat is already under way - I'll be travelling up to Scotland tomorrow, and will be on the Island of Cumbrae all day Saturday and Sunday. I'll have 3 guitars on show, including the Brazilian rosewood guitar pictured above, and finally a Mark II version of my own take on a radially braced classical guitar, which only had the strings on for the first time this afternoon, so I haven't really had a chance to assess it yet. Looking forward to being on the Island, seeing some old friends, meeting some new ones, and seeing Ana Vidovoc in concert. I'll also be giving a talk entitled "Playability - What does it mean, and how do you improve it?" which I just finished writing about 5 minutes ago. Should be fun.

James

MikeToot

Post by MikeToot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Safe travels, good luck with your talk, and have a great time!

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Mike!

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know I'll be exhibiting a few of my guitars at the Big Guitar Weekend in Glasgow this Saturday and Sunday (5th/6th November). I'll have with me a relatively new radially braced guitar, and a rare (for me) cedar top guitar - if I can get the polishing finished in time, level the frets, make and fit the nut and saddle, fit the machine heads and strings....

There will be performances by Pavel Steidl, Paul Galbraith, and our very own Matthew McAllister

Hope to see a few of you there.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Off to Scotland tomorrow to the Big Guitar Weekend.

Managed to get the cedar top guitar finished in time.

I've deleted the photos I had posted here as there are now much better ones on the next page!

James

Return to “Members' Announcements”