Matthew McAllister - concert performer

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Re: Agnew McAllister Duo America Tour 2010

Post by Euan Hannah » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:12 pm

That was a nice clip Matthew, I hope you enjoyed the trip and well done in promoting our little country through your excellent musical skills.
:bravo:

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Agnew McAllister Duo ~ 2010 Malaysia Tour (Video)

Post by Matthew McAllister » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is a little insight into our tour late last year!

[media]https://youtu.be/SPV_8hSgfDE[/media]

Hope you enjoy,

Matthew & Aisling.

Erik Zurcher

Re: Agnew McAllister Duo ~ 2010 Malaysia Tour (Video)

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm

That looks like a very succesful tour, Matthew. Thank you for posting this lovely video. I couldn't see whether it was your hand or Aisling's. Did the hand massage work?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Eric,

It was Aisling who was getting the hand massage! She looked nervous when knuckles were being cracked but it was good for her hands!

Glad you liked the short film ,it was a great fun and one of the nicest tours we have done!

There are some nice photographs which can also be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34140774@N ... 5045165625

Best wishes,

Matthew

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:57 pm

That was brilliant! Thanks so much for posting, Matthew.

Do the two of you perform any of the Giuliani duets?

Regards,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Bach & - Brouwer ~ New Solo Album

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Dear friends & colleagues,

A little announcement about my latest solo album which was recently released on Natural Studio Records.

"This recording is a pairing of two works by composers whose styles would appear at first glance to be in sharp contrast. Despite two centuries separating their composition, Johann Sebastian Bach's Suite No.1 ( BWV 1007) and Leo Brouwer's Suite No.2 share distinct similarities." ...continued in the liner notes of Bach & Brouwer.

Watch a short film documenting the making of Bach & Brouwer.
The film contains behind the scenes recording footage on location in the Cathedral of the Isles and an interview about the recording process and the concept behind the album.

[media]https://youtu.be/JYX990eRTfI[/media]

You can listen to clips, have a look at the beautiful artwork and order a copy of Bach & Brouwer here:

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/records/ ... ctId=10309

I hope you are inspired to add this recording to your collection. I wanted to offer a different style of recording to audiences and a recording which contrasts the majority of releases. There are many albums that serve as large collections of shorter pieces, which although performed on guitar have no real connection to each other, this can lead to a 'bitty' listening experience.

Bach & Brouwer is an album which forms a larger musical and expressive gesture which I hope encourages the listener to delve deeper into the music.

Here is a very recent review from Ryan Fark.

"The classically-minded listener is in for a real treat with Matthew McAllister's "Bach & Brouwer," which cleverly juxtaposes the very well-known J.S. Bach "Suite No. 1" with a lesser-known work, "Suite No. 2" by Leo Brouwer (b. 1939). The works, though separated by centuries, share interesting similarities in structure and harmony, and seem an absolutely natural pairing. The same musical sensitivity which likely led McAllister to couple the Suites is equally present in his playing. For example, it is easy to tell that McAllister truly savors Bach's slow Sarabande -- here, as throughout the entire work, he pays careful attention not only to the notes and ornaments, but also the space in between: a consideration that is so vital to an effective and affecting performance of Baroque music, but so often forgotten. The somewhat lighter Brouwer Suite is delightfully and deftly performed, while McAllister's final selection, Brouwer's "Canción de Cuna," is a dynamic and affecting capstone to the album." © Ryan Fark

Enjoy!

Best wishes,

Matthew

Erik Zurcher

Re: Bach & - Brouwer ~ New Solo Album

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:13 pm

My compliments on your video, Matthew! I just ordered the CD.

Erik
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the video and beautiful sound samples. I will check out your new CD!

Regards,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:49 pm

The Bach sounds absolutely beautiful, really drew me in. I'll order the CD shortly.

All the best
Denian

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I performed this same Brouwer Suite in 1982, when I was studying with Richard Stover. The following information is taken from memory of lessons held nearly 30 years ago.

Brouwer was about 14-15 years old when he wrote it, in around 1955 or so. Therefore it has nothing to do with what we consider "Brouwer-style" nowadays, albeit being well-written in-and-of itself. According to Stover, who said he got this information from Brouwer himself at one of the Toronto Guitar Festivals ('75? '78?), the basic concept was to musically depict a day in the life of a Cuban farm worker in the pre-Revolutionary days. (NB: The Castro revolution occurred some 4 years after this Suite was written, and Stover's meeting with Brouwer was 20 years afterwards, so there may be some post-facto coloration here!) At any rate, the opening Preludio portrays the sunrise over the landscape. The second movement, Allegro Burlesco, represents the workers toiling in the fields. (Another side-note: There's a really difficult scale run in this movement which always eluded me, except the one night I performed it in recital, where I miraculously hit it dead-on. I felt I was channeling JW for those 4 seconds. :D ) The final Andantino is evening time and the sunset, and it ends with the same phrases that opened the Prelude. As the video here says, Brouwer then indicates to segue to his setting of "Drume Negrita" ("Cancion de Cuna") by Ernesto Grenet as a lullaby, the mother gently rocking her baby to sleep. Stover had me listen to Victor Jara's vocal recording of the piece to help with phrasing.

I played the opening bass line of the Prelude in pizzicato, to mimic or foreshadow what was coming with the well-known (by 1982 it sure was!) Grenet piece.

Congratulations on the recording.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks guys! Thanks for taking the time to watch, listen and read!

I am really looking forward to hearing from you once you have a listen to the album, I think it is a very different listening experience than normal for CG listeners.

Matthew

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Matthew McAllister’s CD Bach & Brouwer, a personal review.

Most classical guitar CDs are either a collection of pieces from different composers and eras or dedicated to just one of them. Matthew McAllister's latest CD ‘Bach & Brouwer’ is different. It contains the entire Cello Suite No.1 from Bach, Suite No.2 from Brouwer and ends with Cancion de Cuna.

Bach’s Cello Suite No.1 begins with a prelude, followed by five different dances (Allemande, Courante, Sarabande, two Menuets and a Gigue. Brouwer’s Suite No.2 consists of Preludio, Allegro Burlesco and Andantino. Cancion de Cuna is like the cherry on the cake.

Matthew allows himself to play both Bach and Brouwer in a personal way: his phrasing makes the music transparent and easy to follow. Listen to the gigue and you'll understand what I mean. The bass notes are often short in contrast with the melody line: with a ‘jumpy’ dance as result. Matthew exploits these contrasts as a true master.

Bach’s and Brouwer’s music complement each other very well. Chef McAllister mixes the right ingredients for his 10-course dinner leaving you still hungry for another round.

Conclusion: Matthew pays attention to all the details in his music and makes his CD both profound and pleasant. Music that I can enjoy listening to every day without getting tired of it.

Matthew McAllister
Concert performers

Thesaurus Harmonicus ~ James Akers

Post by Matthew McAllister » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Folks!

A short film documenting the making of 'Thesaurus Harmonicus' the début solo album from Scottish Lutenist James Akers.

James was an invited artist and tutor at my 2010 Classical Guitar Retreat and has recently become a Natural Studio Records Artist, his début solo album will be released on the label later this year.

[media]https://youtu.be/H0aeOckuzOE[/media]

Hope you enjoy!

Matthew

Montgomery

Re: Thesaurus Harmonicus ~ James Akers

Post by Montgomery » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:11 pm

That was brilliant, thank you for posting this. I found it absolutely fascinating.

Sean

Re: Thesaurus Harmonicus ~ James Akers

Post by Sean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Matthew, thanks for sharing this excellent clip!

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”