Yorgos Kertsopoulos - luthier

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Yorgos Kertsopoulos - luthier

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Hello to all, nice to be with you.
Introducing myself briefly, I am a Greek-Canadian (fluent in English and Greek :o -moderate in French-Quebecois) classical-flamenco concert guitarist, luthier and string constructor living in Athens, Greece since 1981. I have given concerts in Europe, Canada and the United States and also taught the guitar at Concordia University in Montreal (1976-1981) and at the State University of New York in Plattsburgh-State of New York, U.S.A. (1977-1981) and three conservatories in Greece: 1) the National Conservatory 2) Pindareio Conservatory and 3) Attiko Conservatory where I still teach at it, today. I' ve lived in all, 13 wonderful years in my beautiful country Canada and the rest of the years in my also beautiful country Greece, the least to say I have enjoyed and loved all European countries I have visited-each with its unique beauty: (France, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, etc., I don't know why I have not visited as yet, our wonderful Spain-Guitar and Football world champions :bravo: -maybe one day I will, as I still hope) and also the beautiful U.S.A., which I had the great joy to work for four years at the university, in the state of New York, with a work permit issued to me. I send my greetings to all the wonderful people, friends, colleagues and students in Canada and the U.S.A. and the European countries and one of these days, I would like very much to find a chance to visit them and reunite in person. I presented in 1983 at the Frankfurt Musik Messe my work entitled: "The Physics of the Guitar. The Geometric progression and mathematic model of the Classical Guitar"and Jose Ramirez III who was present at the press conference recognized it. My work as a luthier and string constructor named: "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics" revives all the different forms and sounds the guitar possessed in its history. My youtube channel is:http://www.youtube.com/user/gkertsopoulos and my blog is at:http://kertsopoulosaesthetics.blogspot.com/. Below is a summary of the "Mathematical Model of the Guitar" which was published by "DAS MUISKINSTRUMENT" in the English and German language in 1984. Ever since it has given me the feedback joy to know that it has been succesfully used by many luthiers around the world.
Jose Ramirez III who was present at the press conference I gave in "Musik Messe" Frankfurt 1983 presenting the model, confirmed and recognized it as a model which belongs to the Spanish tradition and mainly it's association with the work of Antonio de Torres and wrote a dedication for the work as it is seen below:Image
The full publication of this work by "DAS MUSIKINSTRUMENT" can be found by at my blog listed above. Since 1984, my work involved "KERTSOPOULOS AESTHETICS" methodology: Guitars & strings, which includes inventions and constructions in guitars and strings.The history of the guitar includes numerous forms of the body of the guitar, the string quality and quantity and the tuning of the instrument in different ranges. This revival of the many different forms constitutes the "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics".
On Feb. 7, 2009, the Museum of Greek Popular Instruments “Foivos Anogianakis” Research Centre for Ethnomusicology, presented at the Museum Benaki in Athens, a tribute to the history and tradition of the classical guitar, “forms & strings”: "Honorary tribute to Amalia Ramirez and the tradition of her family", with honored guests: Amalia and Cristina Ramirez. A guitar recital was presented and the guitarists played six different historical types of instruments as they are revived by the modern constructional methods of “Kertsopoulos Aesthetics”, soloists: Yorgos Kertsopoulos and Smaro Gregoriadou – "reinventing guitar"!
After the event Amalia Ramirez was interviewed by Dionysia Blazaki and commented on “Kertsopoulos Aesthetics”, Y.Kertsopoulos and the interpretational capabilities of the instruments heard and also the interpretation of S.Gregoriadou, “reinventing guitar"!
...These guitars possess antique sounds, sounds with an ancient charm. ...I am very surprised, dazzled, because what I managed to observe is that every instrument has a very different personality. It is as though every instrument constitutes a different path of expression.
They are very different from the usual guitars of the rest of the world. I think that Yorgos is a genius. All these are a miracle. He is a revolutionist; he is extremely original, extremely authentic. I was thinking as I was listening, something my father used to say when he met something exceptional.
He was saying: “when you see someone in a parade to march with a different step, this happens because he hears other drums playing”…drums…other drums.
He is not part of the mass...Amalia Ramirez 7 Feb. 2009

Some photos from the workshop:
The soundboard is the last part glued on a finished body of a "Kertsopoulos" guitar
Below: The finished 2010 "Kertsopoulos" classical guitar photographed above at the workshop before varnishing. The upper left corner photo shows the "Kertsopoulos" right hand pedal, which gives multifunctional pedal effects to the interpretation of the guitarist:
Below: The completed "Kertsopoulos" classical 2010 guitar varnished:
A 1983 "Kertsopoulos" flamenco guitar:
KERTSOPOULOS HIGH TUNING GUITAR DETAILS 1985:
THE KERTSOPOULOS HIGH STRING GUITAR STRUNG WITH HIGH TUNING STRINGS (0 FRET=10TH FRET TUNING):
KERTSOPOULOS DOUBLE COURSE GUITAR:
KERTSOPOULOS SCALLOPED FINGERBOARD PEDAL GUITAR:
Kertsopoulos FLAMENCO-CLASSICAL guitar model details:
KERTSOPOULOS MOVING BACK PEDAL GUITAR WITH TWO NECKS - ATHENS 1996:
NYLON, METALONYLON, METALONYMATIC STRINGS FOR NORMAL AND RE-ENTRANT TUNINGS WITH MULTITUNING & MULTITIMBRE POSSIBILITIES:

Amalia Ramirez interviewed at "Forms & Strings":

[media]https://youtu.be/rXWOYlSOcBo&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/media]

High Tuning interpretation of Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Y.Kertsopoulos using "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics":

[media]https://youtu.be/0Ri7gfemiNc%26amp;hl=en_GB%26amp;fs=1[/media]

High Tuning interpretation of the Sonata by Domenico Scarlatti using "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics":

[media]https://youtu.be/af-0RprGXAQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/ruSb3fXvEnQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1[/media]

Recent review on "Kertsopoulos" guitars

...wonderful instruments built by guitar-maker Yorgos Kertsopoulos

...amazing instrument, a triple-double-single course guitar in re-entrant tuning.

Jean-Yves Duperron
Classical Music Sentinel
http://www.classicalmusicsentinel.com/minstrel.html

Excerpts from "Album Review – Reinventing Guitar, Performed by Smaro Gregoriadou" - by Contrapuntist
...Reinventing Guitar is a festival for the ears that explores the different acoustic possibilities offered by Kertsopoulos Æsthetic guitars. The various guitars allowed Gregoriadou to interpret early music more authentically and offered a glimpse into the future acoustic possibilities of the guitar. After listening to other classical guitar CDs in my collection, it does sound as if the three guitars used throughout the album resonate louder than standard classical guitars...

...The acoustic range and characteristics of the guitars offer performers the opportunity to make unique interpretive choices for any given composition.

...All in all, Reinventing Guitar is a grand achievement.

To read more...http://www.thecontrapuntist.com/2010/03 ... egoriadou/

Smaro Gregoriadou is the official artistic representative of "Kertsopoulos Aesthetics" worldwide

I wish everybody a happy summer and if you feel to comment, your feedback will give me great joy, take care, cheers, Yorgos
:D :merci:
Last edited by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeMe

Re: " -Kertsopoulos Aesthetics" - involves: guitars and strings

Post by KeMe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow! :shock:
Gkertsopoulos, what an overwhelming, impressive bio. Your guitars are beautiful, you certainly have it down to a fine art. I'm afraid that I'd have to apologize to one of them for even picking it up.
How long have you been building guitars?
With everything that you do, :wink: do you cook, too?

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 pm

KeMe wrote:Wow! :shock:
Gkertsopoulos, what an overwhelming, impressive bio. Your guitars are beautiful, you certainly have it down to a fine art. I'm afraid that I'd have to apologize to one of them for even picking it up.
How long have you been building guitars?
With everything that you do, :wink: do you cook, too?

Kay :sorride:
Hi Kay, :merci: I started building guitars in 1976, when I was still living in beautiful Montreal-Quebec. My wife is a fantastic cuisine expert, she cooks fantastically and naturally cooking, is something I do not touch. There are numerous things I cannot do, like skiing, skating, staying silent (something that would really have made Pythagoras angry), master the guitar either as a performer or a luthier (always being happy to grow my knowledge as a student of the vast fields existing there), :idea: just to list a few of them. Pick up any of my guitars and make it yours and play it, never apologize for being linked to something you find beautiful :merci: for your kind comments and take care, cheers, Yorgos

Anese

Post by Anese » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 pm

:D Hello kertsopoulos i think we are very lucky to have u here with us, :lol: i had a frozen face syndrome when i looked to your guitar pictures they look amazing, specially the scallop finger board , i never saw that on a classical guitar before,,now i'm im going to enjoy watching your videos,,please post more :bye:

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:58 am

Anese wrote::D Hello kertsopoulos i think we are very lucky to have u here with us, :lol: i had a frozen face syndrome when i looked to your guitar pictures they look amazing, specially the scallop finger board , i never saw that on a classical guitar before,,now i'm im going to enjoy watching your videos,,please post more :bye:
:merci: Anese for your kindness, I even get myself a frozen face syndrome sometimes when I work on my guitars in the workshop, especially when I try to imagine what exactly does each one of them want me to really do :idea: (at different stages of construction). Take care my friend, Yorgos

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 pm

“Kertsopoulos Aesthetics” the how and the why – Part 1: Introduction - published by Guitar International Magazine, Sep. 8, 2010.
For reading the article please click here:
http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/201 ... roduction/

“Kertsopoulos Aesthetics” The How and the Why Part 2: The “Kertsopoulos High-Tuned Strings” - published by Guitar International Magazine, Sep. 28, 2010.
For reading the article please click here:
http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/201 ... %E2%80%9D/

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Whoa! That's some serious reading to do there! Lovely instruments you make!

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Sean wrote:Whoa! That's some serious reading to do there! Lovely instruments you make!
Thanks Sean, take care, Yorgos

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Below are two links to two recent articles of Guitar International that might be of interest to you.

All best
Yorgos

Kertsopoulos Aesthetics: The How and the Why – Part 3
“The Kertsopoulos mathematical model and geometrical progression of the classical guitar, presented for the first time in such a detail.” Vol. 1 of 7.
http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/201 ... 93-part-3/

Smaro Gregoriadou: Reinventing Guitar
Guitar International recently sat down with Smaro Gregoriadou to talk about her latest album, the instruments she’s playing on the record and get her thoughts on the modern, classical guitar scene...

http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/201 ... ng-guitar/

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm

All I can say is 'Oh my gosh, what a beauty'!!!
:bravo:
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Thank you Vlad, I wish you all the best with your progress, Yorgos

JayTheAppDev

Post by JayTheAppDev » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 pm

That is some outstanding craftsmanship. Very inspiring!
:bravo:

Yorgos Kertsopoulos.

Post by Yorgos Kertsopoulos. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks a lot Jay, all best, cheers, Yorgos

bookbad

Re: Yorgos Kertsopoulos - luthier

Post by bookbad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 am

What a beautiful guitar! I really want to see your real guitar. I want to know how it is. I'm just hear your sound. It so wonderful especially in baroque music. :D

mandoisland

Re: Yorgos Kertsopoulos - luthier

Post by mandoisland » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for this very interesting presentation. I will visit your blog and learn more about your instruments!

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”