circle1

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
circle1

circle1

Post by circle1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:44 pm

My new disc titled "La Esperanza Sigue" will be out on August 6th. It's my first CD of all solo guitar (original compositions, not repertoire), so it has a special meaning for me and reading this forum helped keep my spirits up during the long process. You can listen at http://www.michaelkentsmith.com/music.html (you can even purchase a download of the full CD or individual tracks if you are so inclined!).

Below is a short explanation of the inspiration behind the disc:

The heart of this recording is the suite “La Esperanza Sigue”, which translates from the Spanish as “The Hope Continues”. The idea started with a piece I was asked to compose while in Granada, Nicaragua working as a volunteer with an organization called La Esperanza Granada. The group works with the children in the public schools, giving them extra help in a myriad of ways, ranging from one on one tutoring to free dental care. They have a weekly one hour show on the local radio station and they asked me to compose a solo guitar piece to be premiered live on the radio. I composed what is now the third movement of the suite and titled it “La Esperanza Sigue”. I knew even then that the idea of hope spreading based on good works done by good people was bigger than just one three and a half minute piece so I decided to compose two more pieces on the theme of hope to create a three movement suite. Each movement represents a different kind of hope we have for all the children of the world: “Que haya aprendizaje” – that there would be learning. “Que haya amor” – that there would be love, “Que haya alegría” – that there would be joy.

For years I have wanted to make a recording of solo guitar and dulcimer and I finally felt that I was ready and the time was right. My wish is that this music will inspire something of hope within you and that you will share that inspiration with others.
Last edited by circle1 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean

Re: I just finished my new CD " -La Esperanza Sigue" -!

Post by Sean » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

:bravo:

Quite a story behind the CD!

Rewing

Post by Rewing » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm

I listened to first few tracks and I must say it is very very good. I love hearing new compositons. I will continue to listen when i get home. Can you expand on some of the more technical issues? Guitar used, where recorded, even mic placement and equipment used if possible.
Thanks
Come to Philadelphia so we can hear you live!!!!

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:34 pm

:bravo: Good luck with the CD, it sounds marvellous,

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm

All the best with your CD launch...congrats on the artwork too!
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:14 am

I've listened to the first two tracks (thought they were just going to be short snippets), will listen more later, but so far I'm really liking what I hear. I, too, would like to know what guitar you were playing and your recording technique. The sound is just gorgeous! :)

circle1

Post by circle1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 am

@ JQ and Rewing:
I played a 2009 Salvador Castillo with European Spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. I recorded everything in a spare (almost empty) bedroom in my apartment here in Guanajuato, Mexico using Pro Tools LE and an Mbox2. The room has all concrete walls and a ceramic tile floor so it has a natural reverberation that is very guitar friendly. So many of the places I have stayed in Spain, Mexico and Central America have rooms like that and I really think it affected the growth of the guitar in those cultures -- it just sounds so good!

I recorded in stereo using a Neumann TLM 103 and a AKG C1000 in a near coincident pair pattern with the Neumann aimed at the 12th fret and the AKG aimed at the soundboard just below the bridge. The mics werer about 8-10 inches from the instrument which is closer than most CG recordings but is more the norm in the fingerstyle or rock world. If I would have had an even better space to record in, I would have put the mics farther away to capture more room sound and reduce the negative elements of close miking.

I applied a small amount of reverb during the mix using the "Concert Hall" setting in the AIR reverb plugin. I also added a tiny amount of the Dverb plugin with the "Medium Church" setting. A lot of folks hate the dverb but I found that just a touch of it adds a little color to the upper harmonics and really enlivens a recording. If abused, it sounds awful for sure!

I used no EQ in mixing and but wound up using a hi-pass filter to roll off a little of the low end during mastering. I tried some multi-band compression, some stereo imaging and some harmonic exciter during mastering but they all took away from the "chewiness" of the sound. So, I wound up only applying the slight bit of EQ during mastering and otherwise left everything alone.

@Cary W: Thanks! I love to paint and draw as a sort of "cross-training" for composing and playing music. I've been so busy with moving and recording the CD that I haven't done much lately. :oops:

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:19 am

Thanks for your trouble in explaining your recording methods Circle.The honest way of capturing the natural reverb seems to be the essence of CG Recording in my opinion.Its totally unique to that specific instrument and a recording art in its own right I would think ,what works for other instruments doesnt always work for CG .Espesially when it comes to micing up.Concratulations on your work of Art.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”