Bob Newby

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Bob Newby

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:12 am

Dear Luthiers:

I am working on a project that may be of interest to you. It is a worldwide community of and showcase for luthiers, archetiers, suppliers of instrument-making tools, materials and parts, lutherie educators, and others. The community's name is LuthierBuilt.net.

Luthiers and others are connecting with me on Facebook and LinkedIn to be kept up-to-date about LuthierBuilt.net's progress, and to be informed about opportunities to participate in helping it come to life. Thus far I am in contact with over 1000 individuals from all continents (well, not including Antartica:)). There is a great deal of early interest in this project from hand makers, restorers and enthusiasts of all types of stringed instruments.

Please let me know if you would like to connect with me on either Facebook or LinkedIn, by sending me a PM or by posting a reply to this topic.

Best regards,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S
Yamaki-built Washburn A/F66SW

Bob Newby

Re: LuthierBuilt.net

Post by Bob Newby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 pm

For more information, and to join LuthierBuilt's temporary home on LinkedIn, visit http://www.linkedin.com/groups?homeNewM ... id=2441695.
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:35 am

Bob Newby wrote:For more information, and to join LuthierBuilt's temporary home on LinkedIn, visit http://www.linkedin.com/groups?homeNewM ... id=2441695.
Two months ago, when I launched the Luthier Built group on LinkedIn, I started the following discussion topic:
What are your greatest business challenges?

LuthierBuilt.net's primary objective is to assist its members in growing and sustaining their businesses.

Please let me know what your greatest business challenges are, and how you think an online community and showcase might help you address them.
This thread has proven to be the group's most lively discussion topic, with 115 contributions so far, representing many different issues and perspectives.

I recommend this topic and others, and the group overall, if you are looking for a community of practice that is very focused on finding and maintaining balance between the art of building/restoring, on the one hand, and making a living, on the other, that so many luthiers seek.

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Scroll this screen capture to see the most-discussed topics of the Luthier Built group on LinkedIn.
Luthier Built Discussion Activity.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:36 pm

Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of meeting and talking at length with John Bogdanovich, a luthier, and the author of Classical Guitar Making, A Modern Approach To Traditional Design. We spoke about his hard work, and the choices he has made, on his path to success. He showed me segments of the instructional DVD series he has been working on for a couple of years, which is a follow-on to his book. Needless to say, he is a very engaging, warm person.

We also spoke about the forthcoming LuthierBuilt.net community and marketing showcase. I enjoyed discussing and demonstrating to him some of the site's planned features. It was great getting his feedback, and his words of encouragement as I drove away from his lovely mountain home.

My work to move LuthierBuilt.net towards its initial, limited launch is progressing well. It is taking a bit longer than I had anticipated to assemble certain key pieces of the site. My focus, however, is on doing things well, rather than fast. I am sure the community's members will appreciate my taking my time, once the site becomes available and you are able to begin using it.

I suppose that what I am mainly spending my time on right now can be called 'setting up shop'. And yes, I am learning at every turn, which in many respects is its own reward.

As always, please feel free to contact me at any time about the LuthierBuilt.net project.

Best regards,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Florian Vorreiter

Post by Florian Vorreiter » Sun May 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Bob,
I am in the process of getting LinkedIn, and I am curious about the business aspect of that site. Is there any section that is geared specifically towards connecting guitar makers and musicians? I would be interested to know how everything works there.

Florian

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Mon May 10, 2010 12:03 am

Florian Vorreiter wrote:Hi Bob,
I am in the process of getting LinkedIn, and I am curious about the business aspect of that site. Is there any section that is geared specifically towards connecting guitar makers and musicians? I would be interested to know how everything works there.

Florian
Hi Florian,

You will not find anywhere on LinkedIn that provides that capability, except for its advanced search tool, which allows you to search among LinkedIn's 60,000,000 or so individuals by industry, keyword(s), geography, etc.

You should know that instrument makers do not use LinkedIn to connect with prospective customers. LinkedIn is not meant for such purposes. Very few makers, relatively speaking, are on LinkedIn, although my professional networking with them over the past 4 months has certainly attracted some more.

LinkedIn is the best site for professional and business networking. However, it is not intended to provide directories of any kind, which is what your question is geared towards. More generally, it is not a marketing platform.

I have been using LinkedIn to assemble and communicate with prospective members -- all luthiers, or would-be luthiers -- of the LuthierBuilt.net site. For this purpose, LinkedIn has been an effective solution. Specifically, I have a group called Luthier Built on LinkedIn, which luthiers can join with my approval. It supports discussions, and makes it relatively easy for luthiers to meet one another. I keep the group's members informed of LuthierBuilt.net's plans and progress. The group's members provide me with public or private feedback. Some of us have gotten to know one another fairly well. The group is very enthusiastic about the project.

The LuthierBuilt.net site itself is intended to connect musicians with luthiers. That is its main purpose. It will be launched this fall.

Best regards,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Florian Vorreiter

Post by Florian Vorreiter » Mon May 10, 2010 12:32 am

Thank you Bob. I just went to the Luthierbuilt website and it seemed like this was really what I was looking for (not linkedin). I had misunderstood your previous post and assumed that I would need to be a linkedin member in order to become part of the luthierbuilt website. Now when your luhtierbuilt website launches in fall, how do i become a member on that website? Will there be a "register section" somewhere or do I have to request it from you?

Thanks,

Florian

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Mon May 10, 2010 1:10 am

Florian Vorreiter wrote:Thank you Bob. I just went to the Luthierbuilt website and it seemed like this was really what I was looking for (not linkedin). I had misunderstood your previous post and assumed that I would need to be a linkedin member in order to become part of the luthierbuilt website. Now when your luhtierbuilt website launches in fall, how do i become a member on that website? Will there be a "register section" somewhere or do I have to request it from you?

Thanks,

Florian
Hi Florian,

My apologies for any confusion. I grabbed the info email address from your website, so you are now on the list to be notified when LuthierBuilt.net publicly launches. If you are interested in coming on board during its private launch, which has some advantages, please accept the invitation I sent you to join the group on LinkedIn; you would only need to first register for a free LinkedIn account.

Best,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Florian Vorreiter

Post by Florian Vorreiter » Mon May 10, 2010 3:50 am

Thanks Bob, I will take a look at getting on board and get my registration with LinkedIn done. We will stay in touch.

Florian

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:30 pm

LuthierBuilt.net will be launched this fall.

Here is a preview of our logo.

Best to all,

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Post by Bob Newby » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 pm

For those of you with some interest, the Luthier Built site is beginning to take shape. Feel free to visit it, keeping in mind that its content, community of participants, and features are all evolving very rapidly. You will find it at http://luthierbuilt.net.

Best regards to all,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Luthier Built has begun its 'soft' launch

Post by Bob Newby » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Dear makers, restorers, and players:

It is my pleasure to let you know that Luthier Built has begun its 'soft' launch.

At this time you are welcome to visit this new community-based resource and, if interested, register for an account. I particularly draw your attention to the site's short getting started guide, which is online for all to read through. As stated there, more information about the features the site provides to luthiers and others involved in lutherie will be made available in the near future.

Luthier Built cuts across all categories of string instruments. It complements other outstanding resources on the web, one of which is Delcamp. You can visit the site at http://luthierbuilt.net.

All comments and questions, which I encourage you to post here, are welcome.

Best to all,

Bob
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Re: Luthier Built has begun its 'soft' launch

Post by Bob Newby » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:59 am

There is a map showing where Luthier Built's people are located...

http://luthierbuilt.net/gmap_locations_ ... l_profiles

The map's pushpins grow every day.
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Bob Newby

Luthier Built -- Connecting musicians and artisans

Post by Bob Newby » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:33 am

Just a quick update.

Luthier Built is coming to life. Independent makers and restorers of string instruments are joining the community every day, and publishing their profiles, journals, and events. There is a discussion area devoted to player-maker dialogue, plus an international directory that is easy to search, and that allows musicians to easily contact individual luthiers.

Also, starting today the site is truly usable by non-English speakers.

Luthier Built is a worldwide community of independent makers and restorers of string musical instruments, plus others involved in lutherie.

Our vision is to increase the awareness of all musicians and music lovers that the world is filled with talented individuals who make all kinds of string and non-string instruments, highly-skilled artisans who love their craft and who are committed to helping players, at all levels, achieve their dreams.

We believe that the vast majority of players are unaware of the luthier-built alternative to today's stock and mass produced instruments. We aim to provide a window into this rich landscape – one that is highly personal, local, distinct, and passionate. It is a landscape that provides exceptional value, for a wide range of budgets.

The landscape also provides connection, connection with the person who designed and crafted your instrument – a connection that can endure for a lifetime.

Bob

http://luthierbuilt.net
Master 2010 November site logo 70x409x200.png
Asturias Custom Cedar
Yamaha GC7A
Yamaha GD10 & GD10C
Yamaha G245S

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”