Patrick Mailloux - luthier

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Patrick Mailloux

Patrick Mailloux - luthier

Post by Patrick Mailloux » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm

Hello everyone

My name is Patrick Mailloux. I am a luthier from Quebec City, Canada.

I would just like to share with you a new design that I have come up with. It is called a "Double Floating Back", and it basically is a second back placed inside the soundbox about 8mm over the normal back. It is made of Cedar and it vibrates sympathetically with the normal Spruce top, creating its own sound waves, thus adding projection, sustain and warmth to the normal Spruce top sound.

You can have a look and listen to a sound clip of it by clicking on the "What's new for April 2006" feature on the home page of my site, at:

http://www.patmaillouxluthier.com

Please feel free to ask any question or comment on this new design.

Thanks, and best regards.

and1974

Post by and1974 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:37 pm

I am wondering how does it compare with double top guitars?

hav

Post by hav » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Neat - and nice looking & sounding guitars but the "What's New..." links on the main front page don't work (I'm using firefox)

Patrick Mailloux

Post by Patrick Mailloux » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:30 pm

and1974 wrote:I am wondering how does it compare with double top guitars?
I can't compare it to what others do, because it would be apples and oranges.

What I aimed at particularly with that concept is to increase sustain and softening up the Spruce sound. Compared to other guitars that I have done in the traditional fashion, It does work in both areas. The main reason behind the concept is to have a greater vibrating area, which is what the double back does.

Pat

Patrick Mailloux

Post by Patrick Mailloux » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:52 pm

hav wrote:Neat - and nice looking & sounding guitars but the "What's New..." links on the main front page don't work (I'm using firefox)
I am no computer expert so I can't tell you why it doesn't work with Firefox. If you want to see the "What's new" page, just follow that link:

http://www.patmaillouxluthier.com/nouveaut_en.html

It will take you right to it.

Good luck, and thanks for visiting!

Pepe Vergara

Post by Pepe Vergara » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm

Pat: Thank you for your direct responses to my questions. I am going to try your approach to see how it works. I will let you know how it goes (or better, how it sounds).

Nijoto

Post by Nijoto » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Hello Patmguitars!

Your craftsmanship is superb! What beauty! I love the sound quality and aesthetic appeal. How would one get a pricelist, and what is the process of ordering an instrument. Just curious!

- Nijoto

mickhayafe

Post by mickhayafe » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:48 pm

it's a pretty looking guitar, i'm wondering how it sounds

jcrants

Post by jcrants » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 am

I have been dreaming of what kind of guitar I would like to build one day, and your double back matches one of my ideas almost exactly. I was even thinking of using spruce for one soundboard and cedar for the other. I was thinking of carving f-holes in the second soundboard, but it looks like you have a gap between the soundboard and the heel. That's a neater solution--you don't break up the surface of the soundboard much, and the second soundboard isn't damped by the heel.

I was also wondering about the risk of wolf-notes with two soundboards, but your music sample sounds clean.

The second idea I had was to connect the two soundboards with a soundpost below the bridge, as they use in violin construction. A direct connection between the bridge and the second soundboard should give it more energy, causing it to produce more sound.

Finally, I read that a 19th-century accoustician proposed that Stradivarius and del Gesu violins sound so good because the top and back have tap frequencies a half tone to a whole tone apart, with the back higher than the top. I thought it might be fun to try to get the tap tone for the second soundboard a semitone higher than that for the top, with the back a semitone higher still.

It's all very simple, as long as it's purely theoretical. :)

Muckdogzen

Post by Muckdogzen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 am

Beautiful guitars! I've also heard of the double topboard but was under the the impression that it was difficult to produce a consistent glue joint at the neck. I see you have the doubled board cut away from the neck joint. Is The whole board free to float with the back board or is it glued to the side boards? I was surprised there wasn't a mirror cut out opposite the cut out at the neck.

Anyway great sounding guitar. How well dose it project in a large room? Or have we Classical Guitarist finally gotten away from that consideration?

Thanks, Dave

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”