Tom Poore

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Tom Poore

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 pm

Guitarist Colin Davin has released his debut CD, “The Infinite Fabric of Dreams.” The title is derived from text written by Nobel Laureate José de Sousa Saramago in his book “The Cave.” Here’s the original quote:

“The truth is that the brain knows far less about colors than one might suppose. It sees more or less clearly what the eyes show it, but when it comes to converting what it has seen into knowledge, it often suffers from what one might call difficulties in orientation. Thanks to the unconscious confidence of a lifetime's experience, it unhesitatingly utters the names of the colors it calls elementary and complementary, but is immediately lost, perplexed and uncertain when it tries to formulate words that might serve as labels or explanatory markers for the things that verge on the ineffable, that border on the incommunicable, for the still nascent color which, with the eyes' often bemused approval and complicity, the hands and fingers are in the process of inventing and which will probably never even have its own name. Or perhaps it already does—a name known only to the hands, because they mixed the paint as if they were dismantling the constituent parts of a note of music, because they became smeared with the color and kept the stain deep inside the dermis, and because only with the invisible knowledge of the fingers will one ever be able to paint the infinite fabric of dreams.”

To hear samples from Mr. Davin’s new CD, click here:
http://www.colindavin.com/page4.html

To order, click here:
http://www.colindavin.com/page1.html

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Sean

Re: New CD

Post by Sean » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Tom, thanks for the heads-up. I ordered a copy - nothing easier than paying by PayPal!

Sean

Post by Sean » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

The CD came today. I must say - most impressive! Colin Davin's playing on this recording is spot on, and his phrasing puts some refreshing air into the Castelnuovo-Tedesco Sonata. The trio of pieces by Hans Haug, a composer whose works don't get aired out much, was a nice change of pace. I must say - I've never liked Britten's Nocturnal (I must have 6 recordings by various names), but I really like Davin's version. There's a lot more punch and color here.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Sean. I could offer my own review, but I'm not entirely objective. Colin took a long time getting a CD out there—friends have been nagging him for years to do it. Fortunately it was worth the wait.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 am

He's a very competent player, but his "style" on what I heard just doesn't move me. Seems he often puts speed over emotion and feeling. The Mertz Hongroise is one of my favorite pieces and I don't like the way he tackled it at all.

There was a time I would have bought it "just because", but these days I can't afford to spend $15 on a CD that will only get listened to once and then shelved with regret for having bought it.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm

When Colin was about 11, he and I played a nursing home gig. Most of the playing was duets, but we each also took a solo set. During my set, Colin was sitting near the audience. At one point a woman muttered "I don't think much of either of their talents," got up, and walked out. I didn't see or hear this, but Colin did. Needless to say, he was a bit crestfallen. After the concert, as we were walking back to the car, Colin told me about it. I laughed and replied: "Congratulations! Your first bad review."

By the way, Colin got a lot of compliments from the audience after the concert. Regarding the woman who walked out, one of the other nursing home residents told Colin: "Don't worry about her—she's always like that."

Bad reviews go with the territory. Colin will survive.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Tom Poore

New CD by Jason Vieaux

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Jason Vieaux teams up with Bandoneon virtuoso Julien Labro and “A Far Cry” chamber orchestra in arrangements of Astor Piazzolla’s music. The CD will be released on October 25, 2011. MP3 downloads are available now at Amazon.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

1abRT

Re: New CD by Jason Vieaux

Post by 1abRT » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I like him a lot, there is a couple of nice sessions of him free on NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5332374 and
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =105215426

Did you like his Pat Metheny songs album ?

Julio

Post by Julio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 am

oh wonderful! Vieaux is ont of my favorite players. I really love his Ponce complete Sonatas CD. One of my favorite composers played by one of my favorite players. I bet he plays the Pizzola with precision! Good to know Vieaux is still creating CD's in this digital, non CD era.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 am

Julio wrote:oh wonderful! Vieaux is ont of my favorite players. I really love his Ponce complete Sonatas CD.
Yes, that is one beautiful recording!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Julio

Post by Julio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:09 am

oski79 wrote:
Julio wrote:oh wonderful! Vieaux is ont of my favorite players. I really love his Ponce complete Sonatas CD.
Yes, that is one beautiful recording!
YEAH! there was no better Ponce recording since Segovia's old Ponce recordings, one's i listened to over and over, til' Jason released his! Also what ever happened to the complete N A X O S recordings of Ponce...they forgot to include the Sonatas! They remembered the Preludes and Suites but totally dissed the Sonatas... :(

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”