johnhall

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
johnhall

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Sun May 15, 2011 5:38 pm

I have recently completed analyses and performance editions of the Douze Etudes Op. 6 by Fernando Sor. These are free to download under the "Blog" heading of my website for all who may be interested. The editions are in pdf format and are located at the end of the discussions of each of the etudes. http://www.johnhallguitar.com/

John Hall

Sean

Re: Sor Op.6 Twelve Etudes, Analysis and Performance

Post by Sean » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 am

John, thanks for the link!

wilhelmreich

Post by wilhelmreich » Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 am

Your analysis is exactly what I was searching for, for a long time. Musical theory seems not to be so difficult if it is explained and shown on examples, that can be heard and played and your explanations are easy to follow even for me.
I believe that Sor's complete op6 etudes are not to be found for free somewhere else in the web and they are surely some of the greatest from the classical era. It is a lot of work that you have done, thank you very much for that. It would be great if you could continue with other music.

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you Wilhelm. That was exactly my intention.

John Hall

rikart

Post by rikart » Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 am

Many thanks for your analysis of these studies. This is an excellent addition to the lexicon of guitar pedagogy. Blimey, that sounds pompous. What I mean is, I'm delighted to have these, and I'll be using them in my lessons with students. I hope you are encouraged to continue with your analysis of the Sor studies. May I suggest Op 29 next? :-)

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks man, that makes it all worthwhile. I will look into Op. 29.

John

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Mon May 16, 2011 12:31 pm

:merci: John,

It is so kind of you to make this resource freely available,

Best wishes, V

PS Your Bachianas Americanas sound delightful—I was unable to resist. :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

johnhall

Twinkle Twinkle Bach Bourree

Post by johnhall » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Since completing the Sor Op.6 I have made available an analysis (harmonic) of the famous Bach Bourree in E minor BWV 996 as well as what I think is an interesting jazz harmonization of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star if you can believe that. Both are free to download in the "Blog" section of my website:http://www.johnhallguitar.com/ Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

John Hall

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Twinkle Twinkle Bach Bourree

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Nice website, John. Thank you for sharing!

May I suggest that you put the web address in your profile? That way, it will appear on each of your posts as a "globe" icon beneath your username and members can go directly to it. You might be able to pick up a few Skype students. :wink:

I see that you are on the faculty of three colleges. Would you like to be considered for the Teachers Group? It looks like you have fulfilled all of the conditions except that you'll need to contribute a few MP3s.

Just let us know,

Alan

johnhall

Barrios-Julia Florida Analysis

Post by johnhall » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I have had quite a bit of time on my hands lately so I figured I would look at some Barrios. Most everyone is familiar with Julia Florida. Although it is no Brahms Intermezzo it is a beautiful piece and a good example of nineteenth century harmony. Again, it is freely available on the “Blog“ page of my website: http://www.johnhallguitar.com/ I hope you find it interesting and thanks for the encouragement.

John Hall

KeMe

Re: Barrios-Julia Florida Analysis

Post by KeMe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:10 am

John, your website looks great! Thank you for letting us know about it.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

johnhall

Bachianas Americanas-New Music for Classical Guitar

Post by johnhall » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:36 pm

An original work that combines my interests in classical and jazz composition. I hope you enjoy it! If interested, ordering info is available on my website: http://www.johnhallguitar.com/ Thanks for your attention.

[media]https://youtu.be/m681qr3leyU[/media]

John Hall

David Norton

Re: Bachianas Americanas-New Music for Classical Guitar

Post by David Norton » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Order placed! Sounds very nice indeed.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:55 pm

That's a Bachianas alright. Beautiful! :bravo:

I visited your lovely website shortly after you joined us, John. I was especially pleased to be able to download the Carulli Duets there. I think they are brilliant and I used to have a book of them. Unfortunately, my duo partner absconded with it. :roll:

Good luck and best wishes!

Alan

johnhall

Post by johnhall » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:19 pm

That is really great to hear! The Carulli duos are wonderful reading material. Thank you David for the order and Alan I am very pleased you find the site useful!

John

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”