James Lister - French Polishing DVD

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
James Lister
Luthier

James Lister - French Polishing DVD

Post by James Lister » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm sure most members of the forum are by now aware that I make guitars for a living, but over the past 9 months I've also been busy putting together a DVD guide to the art of French polishing guitars. When I first had the idea, the plan was to just make a short DVD for my students at Newark College as a reference, but after some discussions with a friend (and fellow guitarist) who happens to be a film-maker, we decided to go for something a bit more ambitious! We finished filming the DVD about 4 months ago, and there followed a LOT of work by my partner editing, tweaking, writing, printing and generally making the whole thing look professional.

The result is a comprehensive guide to French polishing guitars. The DVD is over 150 minutes long, and is accompanied by a 16-page booklet, which summarises the contents of the DVD, and adds a few details, and lists materials required and suggested suppliers.

The DVD has been "road-tested" on a couple of my students, who complemented it on being clear and thorough (no-one has yet said that it's a thrill a minute though!)
DVD07s.jpg
There's a short YouTube video promoting the DVD below. More information can also be found on my website, as well as details of how to order. The DVD will also soon be available through a certain online supplier, and I'm in discussions with various luthier's suppliers (including one in the US) who are considering stocking the DVD.

Retail price will be £45 (GBP), but I'm offering it to Delcamp members for £35 for an initial period (not sure how long yet). This includes packing/postage within the UK, but there will be a small additional charge for overseas orders. Send me a PM if you'd like to take advantage of this introductory offer, and I'll send details of how to pay.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

altnaez

Re: James Lister - French Polishing DVD

Post by altnaez » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 am

:bravo: James. I would like to have it but I guess I better wait till it gets to this side of the pond. Does it cover retouching or restoring the finish on older instruments?

Albert

Wayne S

Post by Wayne S » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

James that's a great addition to the world of French Polishing for Guitar and should be a best seller for you.
Great !!!

:okok: :okok:

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks Albert & Wayne!

I had originally hoped to cover repairing/retouching FP finishes, but the basic "Polishing the Guitar" took much more time (both in filming, and on the finished DVD) than expected, so I had to skip it. Maybe I'll add a bit as a freebee on YouTube if I get the time. I'd have to say though that I'm no expert on restoration - but it would have been good to have been able to put in something about fixing those inevitable nail marks that can occur both during the polishing process, and when playing.

James

philpry

Post by philpry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm lucky enough to already have a copy of this DVD and can only recommend it, particularly to anyone french polishing a guitar.

I should probably declare a bit of an interest in that I'm just at the stage of finishing my first guitar. Its taken quite a while for me, but I have been fortunate in having had help, guidance and some lessons from James as I've gone along. I decided to use an oil finish on my guitar, apart from french polishing the top, as this seemed an easier approach for a first timer. The DVD has been very timely for me. I'm finding it very clear and detailed, and as yet I've not encountered anything that isn't covered either on the DVD itself or in the accompanying notes. I've studied it by just watching the DVD, by reading the notes, and by going through both together. I've then gone back to it all at each stage.

I'm not finished yet - I'm currently bodying up the finish - but I don't think anyone will go far wrong by following the method here. I will certainly be using it to completely french polish another guitar. Compared to the cost of a guitar lesson, the DVD has got to be excellent value.
So thanks James!

Phil

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting the review!

Glad it's working well for you - the real test will be when you French polish a whole instrument, but the top is a good place to start, as spruce is a bit more forgiving than rosewood.

I'm looking forward very much to seeing your completed guitar. Hope your going to post some pictures of it on the forum when it's finished.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi folks,

Introductory offer for Delcamp members of £35 for the DVD will close at the end of March (normal price £45).
If anyone wants to take advantage of the offer, just send me a PM, and I'll send details of how to make the payment.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 am

Last few days of introductory offer if anyone else is interested...

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:58 am

Due to huge popular demand (well, 3 more people), I've extended the deadline of the introductory offer for the DVD to the end of this month (April). Thereafter, price will revert to £45 (GBP), with availability direct from my website, or through a popular online store for books and DVDs and other stuff. To take advantage of the introductory offer, just send me a PM.

James

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am

My French polishing DVD is now also available through Dictum in Germany. I can't give the link here, but if you search for "DICTUM GmbH", and go to the DVDs page, you should find it.

James

RPhang

Post by RPhang » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Jim

I juts join this forum and learnt of this DVD of yours. Is the offer still on or off?

Raymond

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 am

RPhang wrote:Hi Jim

I juts join this forum and learnt of this DVD of yours. Is the offer still on or off?

Raymond
Sorry Raymond, I've only just seen your post!

The offer is finished now, but I think you have already ordered the DVD through my website - hope you're happy with it!

James

RPhang

Post by RPhang » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 am

Hi Jim

Have you sent the DVD?

I have not received it yet.

Thanks
Raymond

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Raymond,

Yes, your DVD was sent on Friday - you should receive it soon. If it hasn't arrived by the end of this week, let me know.

James

RPhang

Post by RPhang » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks James!

I am sure I will enjoy the DVD!

will there be a part 2 DVD?

Cheers!!

Return to “Members' Announcements”