New website, new videos, new music. criticize as you like

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Matingas

New website, new videos, new music. criticize as you like

Post by Matingas » Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Positive, negative, neutral reviews are welcome.

The more and more I keep exploring guitar and taking it seriously the more I see my pros and cons (many in both ways), but at the same time the more support I get from family, friends and even strangers.

I have created a new website under wordpress (I read a thread here saying its the best, I think I follow the advice of someone named "Chris".. if someone knows who I'm talking about please give him proper credit)

http://matingas.wordpress.com/

this is my website. soon I will pay the fee to take out the wordpress and make it exclusively www.Matingas.com

I just added "Besame Mucho" video that was filmed recently.. and I have Romance Anonimo still to edit.
soon I'll post more videos.

on my previous post I receive ample criticism that I took seriously and I hope you see a bit of improvement. I still haven't gotten a teacher yet, but soon will... I hope to join the SDSU music program for next year.
I have dropped a lot of the more complex pieces and have concentrated on making my sound more "pop" since I hope to be performing in lounges, cafes, fine dining places, weddings, etc. (which I'm very nervous about since I haven't really performed in ages)

so... please let me know what you think. Criticize in any way you feel fit. I know I have long ways to go, and I also know I have some positive features (hearing them from other people always help)
and if you like me playing or would like to support me please like me on facebook! (the link is on my official website)

Thanks everyone :)

Matingas

Kent

Re: New website, new videos, new music. criticize as you lik

Post by Kent » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

Matingas (Matthew Suarez) was born in Mexico City in 1986, at the age of 12 he played his first guitar and has never stopped playing since. At the age of 14 he formed a punk band, by the age of 15 he was learning classical guitar pieces like “Recuerdos de la Alhambra”(Tarrega) and “Asturias”(Albeniz).At 16 he started a reggae band, by 17 he moved on to progressive metal (and started playing electric bass).
At 18 he enrolled at Saint John’s University to study guitar under Dr. O. Nicholas Raths, founder of the Minneapolis Guitar Quartet. He also participated in various jazz ensembles (with guitar and/or bass) and performed solo and with numerous different bands. He holds a B.A. in Music studies with classical guitar as the main focus.

Matthew,
Instead of talking about yourself in the third party, I think you should personally talk about your self. You will give a more intimate impression to your visitors!
" My name is Matthew Suarez. I was born etc etc.

Matingas

Post by Matingas » Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 pm

thank you! will do :)

i was also working on a new longer bio with more information of who i am and what my goals are

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:43 am

I'm a bit confused on a few points...

You have a page for Lessons:
Lessons are $30 per one hour class. Lessons are personalized to learn the style you want to play.

Schedule: Sunday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

At location only.
What does "at location only" mean? Whose location?

You might want to specify the location and/or time zone (if you are doing lessons over Skype or whatever).

Then you have a page for Tijuana that's in Spanish. Why? Since the rest of the site is in English, you should be consistent. Perhaps at some point you could offer your site in Spanish as well as English?

Since I don't speak much Spanish, I ran it thru the google translator:
Tijuana guitar lessons in my studio in Colonia Cacho.

Price is $ 50 (USD) per month with one class per week for one hour.
Why the price difference from the Lessons page? And why have a separate Tijuana page at all if it is referring to Lessons, for which you already have a page?

Then on your Booking page you say you are located in San Diego?
Weekday rates: $150
Weekend rates: $200
For what? Is that an hourly rate? Do you have a minimum (e.g., two hours)? You also said you are "willing to travel to Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside and Palm Springs." That's quite a ways from San Diego and the travel time could be several hours each way. Do you charge for mileage? Between your travel time the cost of gas these days, you might not be making much on a $150 gig.

Good luck with it! :)

AlanB

Post by AlanB » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 am

JQ. wrote:Then you have a page for Tijuana that's in Spanish. Why? Since the rest of the site is in English, you should be consistent. Perhaps at some point you could offer your site in Spanish as well as English?
Matingas, I can understand that for lessons in Tijuana you would need to give information in Spanish but how are people going to find that page? Would the locals bother navigating through a site where the home page and your introduction is only in English? Is it linked from somewhere else (someone else's Spanish language site?).

I was also struck by the price difference and I suppose English speakers in Tijuana who click on "Lessons" before noticing the "Tijuana" tab might also be curious as to the difference although I don't suppose they will mind as it is so much cheaper in Tijuana :wink: As those lessons take place in Tijuana is it not unusual to have their price advertised in dollars?

Good luck with it.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:52 am

Nice website matingas, you're obviously highly motivated and organized. You ask for criticism (constructive) and I will offer my opinion in that spirit. I had a listen to your video of Besame Mucho and I have to say that your timing and sense of the pulse needs a lot of attention. The music (Besame Mucho) speeds up and slows down randomly and consequently there is no sense of groove at all, something which is vital to such a piece.
Timing is the number one skill that musicians need, some have it naturally and others need to work at it.

Matingas

Post by Matingas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks everyone :)

I will make changes as I see fit.. though I'm not a web master and doing the page as I have it cost me a lot of trouble.. I still need to work on it more.

YES. I wish I could do the website in Spanish and in English.. but I have no idea how to do that (plus I don't know if I have the time or the will to do that)

I consider Tijuana/San Diego as the same area.. so for English speaking purposes I'm located in San Diego, but I do not have a place to teach there so "at location" mean's at the student's location (I'll make this more clear. thanks for pointing it out)
the price difference is because American's are willing to pay more, plus I will be traveling at the student's location... the price change in Tijuana is because I will be giving lessons from the comfort of my own studio (and I rather deal with a monthly price so I can have set schedule)

Again.. thanks for pointing everything out and I'll try to make this more clear (and I still have much work to do to make the website even better)

about the rates... I have no idea. I went through a lot of other guitarists websites and I got the idea from there.. a lot seemed way more talented and qualified than me (and were more expensive) and I also saw a bunch that I really didn't think they were that great (and I still were more expensive). So I kinda chose those random rates.. but to be honest.. it all depends (and I will change this too)

as for the Besame Mucho video... yeah.. its not my best recording. Actually.. I had a friend that is studying filming come over and do the videos.. we did it in one take. he said it was great (though I wasn't at all satisfied) and then he didn't even edit the videos and gave me the raw material.
.. so its a bit rushed.. and i'll try to make it better (though you are right.. my timing is one of my biggest weakness i try to improve it everyday.. but a good teacher for myself is in hand)

Thanks again everyone and I hope I'll hear more from people as I will post more and make my website even better
Matt

P.S. The people in Tijuana actually prefer working in dollars.. and most prices are set to the American Dollar instead of to the mexican coin.. I know.. its weird. I just moved to this city (From San Diego) and I found it odd, but now a days it better and more comfortable to work this way (hence the pricing in dollars)

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”