Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
RJN

Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 am

Hi everyone
after lots of faffing about, I have managed to get a new web site up and running. I have taken on board the below feedback and reduced the page size and other gaffs hopefully it will look a little user friendlier.
http://www.richardnewmanguitars.com

Any comments still welcome, I may have to do a part 3 or just stick to making guitars instead of pretending I know owt about web design.

Best wishes

Richard
Last edited by RJN on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10169
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by George Crocket » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 pm

I had a quick look. It works for me except that your page size is just too big. If it were a teeny bit smaller I would not have to scroll down (using IE9 at full screen). I take it this is the sort of feedback you want.


I like the style of it, and it is very easy to navigate. The guitar pictures are mouthwateringly stunning.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

User avatar
Cary W
Posts: 4642
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: North of Montreal

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by Cary W » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello Richard. You do lovely work as seen in the photos. You may wish to go through the pages with a fine-toothed comb just to check for spelling, etc. I spotted one error:
Herman Hauser, which should be Hermann Hauser.

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6830
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by petermc61 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Richard

I had a look at the mobile version. Simple, clean layout and easy to find things. Nice text and great pictures.

Some suggestions:

It is OK having a menu button but navigation would be easier if those menu items were permanently displayed as a header bar.

You have a tab called "prices and ordering" but with no prices. That would annoy me as a visitor. Either include your prices (preferred) or make the tab just "ordering". Lack of published prices will lead some people to assume they are too expensive and you may lose prospects.

If you can get some endorsements that would be great. Having somebody else but you say they are good guitars always helps. Send me a guitar for 12 months and I'll be happy to say nice things about you.... :-)

Hope this helps,
Regards
Peter

RJN

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:13 pm

George Crocket wrote:I had a quick look. It works for me except that your page size is just too big. If it were a teeny bit smaller I would not have to scroll down (using IE9 at full screen). I take it this is the sort of feedback you want.


I like the style of it, and it is very easy to navigate. The guitar pictures are mouthwateringly stunning.

Thanks George - exactly the feedback I was after - I haven't the faintest idea of how to adjust the page size. If anyone Knows how, using weebly please tell?

RJN

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Cary W wrote:Hello Richard. You do lovely work as seen in the photos. You may wish to go through the pages with a fine-toothed comb just to check for spelling, etc. I spotted one error:
Herman Hauser, which should be Hermann Hauser.

Cheers,
Cary
:oops:

RJN

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:26 pm

petermc61 wrote:Richard

I had a look at the mobile version. Simple, clean layout and easy to find things. Nice text and great pictures.

Some suggestions:

It is OK having a menu button but navigation would be easier if those menu items were permanently displayed as a header bar.

You have a tab called "prices and ordering" but with no prices. That would annoy me as a visitor. Either include your prices (preferred) or make the tab just "ordering". Lack of published prices will lead some people to assume they are too expensive and you may lose prospects.

If you can get some endorsements that would be great. Having somebody else but you say they are good guitars always helps. Send me a guitar for 12 months and I'll be happy to say nice things about you.... :-)

Hope this helps,




Regards
Peter
Peter- The guitar is on its way - as long as you pay shipping costs.... oh, and my flight fare .......oh, and food and beer

cant seem to get the menu buttons on every page.

The price is there......you may have chosen to ignore it :lol:

cheers
Richard

Rincewind

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by Rincewind » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Richard, I'll endorse you!

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10169
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by George Crocket » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:47 pm

:bravo:


Much better - and it did not take you long. You have done a great job in creating a very attractive website. Don't give up on it, because one of the things I hate about some people's websites is when they are never updated!
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Rincewind

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by Rincewind » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:36 pm

One comment on the pictures - if you get the chance, add some shots of the perfling and headstock finish from the most recent batch you created. The effect is very unusual but very pleasing.

RJN

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by RJN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Hey- Thanks George. Yes I will regularly update it, although I do find computers terribly stressful.

Steve- The purfling and headstock on the guitar you played are in the photo gallery ( lacewood, London plane ) the ones that look mottled or have fleck. Maybe they look different in real life. :)

Best
Richard

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6830
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by petermc61 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

RJN wrote: Peter- The guitar is on its way - as long as you pay shipping costs.... oh, and my flight fare .......oh, and food and beer

The price is there......you may have chosen to ignore it :lol:
Hi Richard

I have now looked at the site on iPhone, iPad and PC. I can't see a price anywhere!! You must use very small fonts or something for the price....

Depending on the price you charge (see above), how many nights accommodation and most importantly how much beer you drink we could have a deal. Be wary about enticing an Aussie to drink beer with you.... :lol:

One last comment - you mention your approximate waiting time on the mobile site but this information does not appear to be on your full site.

Cheers

Peter

RJN

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier

Post by RJN » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:38 pm

petermc61 wrote:
RJN wrote: Peter- The guitar is on its way - as long as you pay shipping costs.... oh, and my flight fare .......oh, and food and beer

The price is there......you may have chosen to ignore it :lol:
Hi Richard

I have now looked at the site on iPhone, iPad and PC. I can't see a price anywhere!! You must use very small fonts or something for the price....

Depending on the price you charge (see above), how many nights accommodation and most importantly how much beer you drink we could have a deal. Be wary about enticing an Aussie to drink beer with you.... :lol:

One last comment - you mention your approximate waiting time on the mobile site but this information does not appear to be on your full site.

Cheers

Peter

Is the price missing for anyone else? or is it just taking a while to get to Oz :)

Richard

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10169
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by George Crocket » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 am

I have no difficulty seeing the price on my iPhone!
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6830
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Richard Newman - Luthier part 2

Post by petermc61 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am

RJN wrote: Is the price missing for anyone else? or is it just taking a while to get to Oz :)
The price arrived! Gee that was slow :-)

Happens sometimes down here at the bottom of the world.....

Peter

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”