Guitar Recital - Jeffrey Cheah

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Jeffrey.C

Guitar Recital - Jeffrey Cheah

Post by Jeffrey.C » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 am

Just recorded today at the ANU School of Music, here's a link to the video subscribe and you'll be seeing more playing from me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqFCXLMf ... e=youtu.be

Tom

Re: Guitar Recital - Jeffrey Cheah

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Jeffrey,
Good play... thank you for reminding me that Op 15 Sonata by Guiliani... It has been long long time since I played this magnificent piece of music.
Will get back to the "drawing board" this holiday.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Jeffrey

I heard they are closing down guitar at ANU. Is this correct?

Regards
Peter

Jeffrey.C

Post by Jeffrey.C » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:06 pm

petermc61 wrote:Jeffrey

I heard they are closing down guitar at ANU. Is this correct?

Regards
Peter
Not quite, but there have been ridiculously drastic changes made to the School of Music. Just a few months ago, the Vice-Chancellor of the university announced out of the blue that all staff were made redundant and had to reapply for their positions under new contract conditions and not all of them would be getting their jobs back. The ANU did this as an attempt at making the School of Music a 'sustainable' school since it was running a 1.5million dollar deficit each year (despite this deficit, the university is making a surplus of 85million dollars a year).

While the guitar lecturers here (Minh Le Hoang and Tim Kain) aren't being hired back as full time staff, they have acquired positions as sessional teachers. There will still be a guitar department but basically, there won't be many students at the School of Music because basically all of the teachers that attracted the student population here will be gone and all of the new courses offered aren't appreciated by any serious musicians.

While all of us here at ANU are still unsure of what is definitely going ahead next year (we are not sure if we will have recitals next year or concert practice or performance class) all of the current guitarists are staying on to learn off Minh and Tim so the atmosphere and standard will still be there as far as the guitar department goes. As for the other departments, we have lost one of the greatest aural lecturers in the world, most of the instrumental department heads have left because they haven't gotten their jobs back and are trying their luck elsewhere and the School of Music is desperately trying to find new staff who are willing to fill the new positions at the school.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”