Cutting, Francis - Packington's Pound - D03

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
ritchie

Cutting, Francis - Packington's Pound - D03

Post by ritchie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:48 pm

On my Stauffer copy. My own feedback for myself: should have varied it a bit more, different tone, and dynamics. weak bass, and not damped properly. Needs to be a bit faster. Anyone else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Janssen

Re: Cutting, Francis - Packington's Pound - D03

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 am

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Your performance was actually very good (and of course it's always harder when that little red light is on!!).

If I may offer one minor constructive criticism it's that you're not holding the dotted crotchets for their full value. I'm referring to the notes in bars 8, 16 & 48. The dot next to these crotchets (1/4 notes) means that they are held for 1 and half time their length (i.e. 3 beats in this instance given that the piece is in 3/8). An easy way to check this for yourself is to count 1,2,3 for all the bars as you listen to the piece. You will notice that when you come to these bars the 3rd beat "disappears". I hope this makes sense? There was a similar issue in Bar 32 (I think you forgot to play the B on the 3rd beat of this bar?).

But other than this small issue which I'm sure you can easily resolve, overall I really enjoyed your performance.

ritchie

Re: Cutting, Francis - Packington's Pound - D03

Post by ritchie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks, I would blame my poor eyesight for missing the dots, but in reality its a bad habit of mine cutting longer notes short. Its weird but I always have a tendency to do this if I don't count in my head, some note just seem to go on a long time!

Ritchie

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”