Anon. - A Port, Straloch ms. - Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
StuMayes

Anon. - A Port, Straloch ms. - Video

Post by StuMayes » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:27 pm

I wish you all a very happy Hogmanay and a prosperous 2019. :D

RobMacKillop

Re: Straloch ms. Anon - A Port

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 pm

It's a wonderful piece which I've played a hundred times on lute and guitar. Good to see other people playing it.

FYI - it's pronounced porsht, meaning air, or tune that is not danced to. There are various portan (plural of port) and they seem to have developed from the older tuning prelude, commencing with octaves, which is how harp/clarsach and lute players tuned their instruments.

Which edition did you use, Stu?

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your performance! Happy New Year!

StuMayes

Post by StuMayes » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 pm
It's a wonderful piece which I've played a hundred times on lute and guitar. Good to see other people playing it.

FYI - it's pronounced porsht, meaning air, or tune that is not danced to. There are various portan (plural of port) and they seem to have developed from the older tuning prelude, commencing with octaves, which is how harp/clarsach and lute players tuned their instruments.

Which edition did you use, Stu?
Thanks Rob, yes I love this piece very much, thanks for the extra info which I was not aware of! I had understood that a 'port' was a lament, usually composed for someone deceased, not sure if that is correct, but I do favour works with a melancholy flavour. I used a tabulation in F# lute tuning.

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”