Croft, William/Purcell, Henry - Ground in C minor - Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
bzel

Croft, William/Purcell, Henry - Ground in C minor - Video

Post by bzel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Happy Spring Equinox!

bzel

Re: Croft, William/Purcell, Henry - Ground in C minor - Video

Post by bzel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi moderator pogmoor.
The title of my video is ground in c minor by Purcell or Croft. Please do not change my title!
As far as I'm aware there is no consensus as to who of the two composers wrote this piece. Perhaps one wrote the ground and the other the variations. So unless you have definite evidence to the contrary please keep my title as it was.
I arranged this piece from Purcell's Works from the harpsichord URTEXT edition, published by Lea Pocket Scores.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:52 am

I noted the disagreements on the composer and am just going to ignore that because the music is beautiful and just strikes an immediate chord in me. Thanks for playing and posting.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Cass Couvelas

Post by Cass Couvelas » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 am

A great favourite of mine. Beautiful rendition; thank you.

(PS: That's an impressive butterfly towards the end!)
"She ran the whole gamut of emotions from A to B."
(Dorothy Parker on Katharine Hepburn)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:53 pm

I had thought the attribution to Croft was secure, but having googled around a bit today I found that the weight of musicological opinion is that the piece is based on a previous work by Purcell, but was composed by Croft. There is a Musical Times article from 1978 in which the following comment appears, referring to the Ground in C minor:
...This keyboard transcription of the alto solo 'With him he brings the partner of his throne' from Purcell''s 1686 Birthday Ode for King James II [...] has been attributed to William Croft, appearing as the final movement of his Suite no. 4 in C minor.
(Meffen, John. “A Question of Temperament: Purcell and Croft.” The Musical Times, vol. 119, no. 1624, 1978, pp. 504–506. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/959915.)

Howard Ferguson and Christopher Hogwood include the ground in their 1974 edition Complete harpsichord works /​ William Croft and it appears on several CD recordings of Croft's work. However I believe there are two manuscript sources (in the Fitzwilliam Museum and the British Library) one of which attributes it to Purcell and the other to Croft. I have altered the title of this thread to reflect this discrepancy.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

bzel

Post by bzel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Cass Couvelas wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 am
A great favourite of mine. Beautiful rendition; thank you.

(PS: That's an impressive butterfly towards the end!)
Thanks.
it's a lovely butterfly.
Did you also see the four leaf clover at the end? They are very rare to find , and bring good luck.

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”