Anon. - The Sick Tune - D04 - Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Valéry Sauvage

Anon. - The Sick Tune - D04 - Video

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 am

Anonymous piece from Ms Dd.5.78.3 f. 39/2

Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Vesuvio

Re: Anon. - The Sick Tune - D04 - Video

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Hello again,

I came across this one a long time ago, played on the guitar by René Bartoli. It sounds lovely on the lute, thank you for yet another wonderful recording!

Interestingly, Professor Bartoli attributes this to Dowland but it isn't in my Paul O'Dette recordings, at least not under that name. On another recording, René Bartoli again lists it as Dowland but plays a much extended version. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm sure I have heard the extension played separately and given another title—do we have an Elizabethan mystery on our hands?

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks, Val, very nice as usual!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Vesuvio wrote:Hello again,

I came across this one a long time ago, played on the guitar by René Bartoli. It sounds lovely on the lute, thank you for yet another wonderful recording!

Interestingly, Professor Bartoli attributes this to Dowland but it isn't in my Paul O'Dette recordings, at least not under that name. On another recording, René Bartoli again lists it as Dowland but plays a much extended version. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm sure I have heard the extension played separately and given another title—do we have an Elizabethan mystery on our hands?

Best wishes, V :D
Both versions, "the sick tune", and "Sick sick and very sick" are anonymous, not by Dowland (but some "marketing" intention sometimes makes players or transcribers attribute pieces to Dowland...)
The best is to check the "bible" for english sources :
http://www.ramesescats.co.uk/thesis/
(down the page : index of titles)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:57 pm

:merci: Val,

I was sure you would know the truth of it,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”