Milan, Luys - Fantasia II - Vihuela - Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Valéry Sauvage

Milan, Luys - Fantasia II - Vihuela - Video

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:41 pm

A friend of mine lend me for some time his vihuela, a very nice instrument made by Thomas Norwood. Here is a fantasia by Luys Milan :

Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Langvarig

Re: Milan, Luys - Fantasia II - Vihuela - Video

Post by Langvarig » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:47 pm

It's a lovely instrument and makes very beuatiful music in your hands. I enjoyed it very much. :bravo:
Regards
John

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks a lot John ;-)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Very nice Valery. I suppose you will be adding a vihuela to your collection soon...good for you. :bravo:

And then you will have to master the dedillo stroke. I tried but it just didn't ever sound pleasant (actually my dog would leave the room when I practiced it. Otherwise she is always my biggest fan).

The only player I've ever heard that had a consistantly beautiful sounding dedillo is my friend Ralph Maier http://www.ralphmaier.com/index_files/Page318.htm

I'm looking forward to some more vihuela tunes from you. :merci:
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Valéry Sauvage

Post by Valéry Sauvage » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for the link, very interesting. But I don't see the interest of this technic as it sound not better or so different than i m or p i and perhaps someone can go faster on the "redobles" but you can go fast too with i m or p i. ???
Same with split chords in Capirola, there are some easyer fingerings to do the same. So why do complicated thing when easyer do the same ?
But the videos on the link, he is doing it very clean, bravo !

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I agree with you Valery. I think it's interesting from a historical point of view as the vihuelaists mention it as the technique for doing redobles. As a practical technique I'm not sure it's worth spending a few years learning to do well as Ralph did. But he's an academic at heart and academics love those kinds of esoteric things. I applaud him for his effort.

To me, if technique gets in the way of the music it's no good. So I tried it and couldn't make it work so went back to my normal techniques of pi and/or mi. We won't know what Milan or any of the other vihuelaists actually did until someone discovers a video or DVD of them playing (Somehow, I don't really think one will be discovered but you never know...ancient aliens may have recorded their concerts :wink: ). So anything we do to copy the style and technique for early instruments is an educated guess at best.

Anyways, I enjoyed your Milan. I look forward to more.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Philipp

Post by Philipp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Very nice renaissance music! I only knew the six pavanas by milan yet. You really know how to bring this music to life and how to resurrect this golden age of music and culture! The sound seems to me as something between a lute and a harpsichord and thats a nice mixture...
:merci:

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm glad this topic popped up again, Val, as I must have missed it earlier. That sounded beautiful!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”