Scarlatti, Domenico - K322/L483 Sonata in A Major - D07

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Crispy

Post by Crispy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:31 am

Owl said:
... if you are happy then so am I
Not just happy, absolutely overjoyed, rpturous, ephoric, jubilant, ecstatic, over the moon, in seventh heaven and on cloud nine, too. :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This has long been a favourite of mine, Owl, and to hear it played so well was wonderfull. :applauso: :bravo:

Chris

Chexpeare

Scarlatti

Post by Chexpeare » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:10 pm

Very, very nice! Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work.

Live long and play!

owl

Post by owl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:23 am

Thankyou Chexpeare... and thanks to you Chris... I love to play someone's favourite and I'm happy my playing pleased you.

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

camytay

Post by camytay » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Really nice sounding piece and great playing. Pity that the mp3 is heavily compressed (understandibly though due to its length) I'm looking for something new and challenging to play and this sounds like a good choice.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Btw, I've found a few transcriptions for this piece and in all of them the first note in bar 3 is a quarter note preceeded by what looks like an eighth grace note. The versions I have listened to, incuding your own, play these two notes not as a grace note before the main note but simply as two eighth notes. Why is it notated like this?

Later...

Owl informed me that her transcription does not have it notated the way I had described. Does anyone else know why it is so notated in other transcriptions?

camytay

Post by camytay » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:20 am

This is what I was talking about (if anyone's interested :| )
It seems that this kind of grace note just represents half of the length of the main note it precedes, in this case an eighth note. But the question remains - why notate it as a grace note at all, instead of simply two quavers? If I can't find an answer to this I'm sure to fall to pieces...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tin

Post by Tin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:45 am

very good :D

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Owl,
As always a wonderful interpretation filled with all the good things of our craft. I have come to expect no less from your posts. A true delight. Thanks.

Logan

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Cam wrote:This is what I was talking about (if anyone's interested :| )
It seems that this kind of grace note just represents half of the length of the main note it precedes, in this case an eighth note. But the question remains - why notate it as a grace note at all, instead of simply two quavers? If I can't find an answer to this I'm sure to fall to pieces...

This type of ornament is called an appogiatura and it is noted as a grace note to show that the first note recieves more stress that the on that follows. It's a tension and resolve issue. The grace note is the note of stress which then leans (or resolves) into the chord tone (the note of resolution)

Logan

Post by Logan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Oh forgot to mention that the grace note happens on the beat.

Cheers

mickhayafe

Post by mickhayafe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:14 pm

wow, another masterful performance!!!

mike

sgilmer

Post by sgilmer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Thankyou very much for this piece.

altnaez

Post by altnaez » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:17 pm

I loved all aspects of the piece Owl.
It was wonderfull.
Thanks,
Albert

owl

Post by owl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks to you all for your appreciation

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

goodtone

Post by goodtone » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:27 pm

I really enjoyed your performance Owl. Wonderful playing.

:merci:

GT

Nagatanka

Post by Nagatanka » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:39 am

Just listening to this now for the first time, I realized it is one of ~100 CG songs I have on my Ipod shuffle that is one of my favorites also by done by Segovia. Sonata in A (L483). It was a pleasure listening to it and I am sure it must be joy to play. Well done.

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”