Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Marshall Dixon

Re: Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:35 pm
Pedro Joia in Corridinho Algarvio (folk music from Algarve, Portugal) with a specially designed guitar and an accordion. Quite a show...
Quite a show, indeed! Is this the kind of thing that is shown on TV in Portugal? Seems as though TV shows from Brazil and Colombia feature incredible musicians. I don't have TV but when I visit relatives who get 500 channels can't find anything like this.

The guitar looks similar to a craviola. Crossing my right leg like that would induce an orthopedic emergency.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm
ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:44 pm
Here some lesser known older music / Marionas - F. Guerau, Pedro Rodrigues guitar...
This must be the rarest of all. A baroque composer that was a guitarist! Do you think he wrote it out for harpsichord and then trancribed it? :D
Francesc Guerau[1] (1649 – 1717/1722) was a Spanish Baroque composer. Born on Majorca, he entered the singing school at the Royal College in Madrid in 1659, becoming a member of the Royal Chapel as an alto singer and composer ten years later. Named a member of the Royal Chamber of king Charles II of Spain in 1693, he also served as a teacher at the singing school until 1701. His best-known work is a collection of pieces for baroque guitar entitled Poema harmónico that was published in 1694.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Haendel Suite in D Minor, HWV 448:II. Allemande ·
Transcription and performance by Pedro Rodrigues
You can buy the score from him if you are interessted, very rare! But not easy to play.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 am

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 pm
... But not easy to play...
What a guitarist !
I'll just buy the CD. That'll be easy to play.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 am
What a guitarist !
I'll just buy the CD. That'll be easy to play.
Anyway this CD has an interessting story. It was recorded on a Paulino Bernabé Imperial, from the father Paulino, not the son. This is actually a hibrid bracing system, a lying X bracing with 3 rather short but strong paralell bars under the bridge, and few other shorter braces in the other sections of the X. It sounds rather harsh but combines very well with the barock music and also with Pedros playing. Today he plays a Gnatek which is not so diffrent.
This is the description of the score:

Baroque Transcriptions for Classic Guitar Handel Suite HWV 448, Marcello Concerto in D Minor
Partition pour Guitare Classique

Pedro Rodrigues

ISMN : 9780786681655

Référence : 248805
baroque-transcriptions-for-classic-guitar-handel-suite-hwv-448-marcello-concerto-in-d-minor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 pm

One more of the same player. Pedro Rodrigues plays Hanedel Suite HWV 448 Sarabande on a Paulino Bernabé Imperial

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 am

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:28 pm
Marshall Dixon wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 am
This is actually a hibrid bracing system, a lying X bracing with 3 rather short but strong paralell bars under the bridge, and few other shorter braces in the other sections of the X. It sounds rather harsh but combines very well with the barock music and also with Pedros playing. Today he plays a Gnatek which is not so diffrent.
This is the description of the score:

Baroque Transcriptions for Classic Guitar Handel Suite HWV 448, Marcello Concerto in D Minor
Partition pour Guitare Classique

Pedro Rodrigues

ISMN : 9780786681655
Thanks for the information about the guitar. I'll have to look online for some pictures. It had a brilliant edge to it. It was a sound that fit, or that was made to fit by the musician.

Thanks for the information about the CD. I think I have an oboe concerto by Marcello.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 am
Thanks for the information about the guitar. I'll have to look online for some pictures. It had a brilliant edge to it. It was a sound that fit, or that was made to fit by the musician.

Thanks for the information about the CD. I think I have an oboe concerto by Marcello.
[/quote]

Hi Marshall

Steve Ganz posted once a picture of the royal bracing. Seams likes a copy of it by an other maker, taking in consideration the rosette. Imperial is a bit diffrent but the basic idea is in the picture

viewtopic.php?t=62325&start=15#p680348
PB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Steve Ganz posted once a picture of the royal bracing. Seams likes a copy of it by an other maker, taking in consideration the rosette. Imperial is a bit diffrent but the basic idea is in the picture
Thanks for the picture. It answers alot of questions.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 pm

This is the version of the Adagio of Marcello from the score above. I like it a lot

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Can we post videos of Guy Tudy compositions (admins)?
Becoming a great musician is about becoming a great human being.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Here's Scherzando Op. 38 No. 8 by Napolean Coste - recorded hundreds of years ago by me.

"The duty of an artist is to take a demon and deliver an angel" (Dr. Elahi Ghomshei)

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:53 pm
Here's Scherzando Op. 38 No. 8 by Napolean Coste - recorded hundreds of years ago by me.

Impressing and expressive performance! Congratulations. As you say that it was years ago it might be an idea to record it again. The attack of the nails is very present and disturbing and I guess hundreds of years later you are able to correct that!

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 am

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:

Impressing and expressive performance! Congratulations. As you say that it was years ago it might be an idea to record it again. The attack of the nails is very present and disturbing and I guess hundreds of years later you are able to correct that!
Thanks Chris! I guess you mean the thumb more specifically. Some of that is inevitable unless one plays without the nails. It was recorded in 2010 and it's one of those pieces I have to bring back, hopefully it won't take years to make it better especially with the help of a time-machine :wink:

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 am
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:

Thanks Chris! I guess you mean the thumb more specifically. Some of that is inevitable unless one plays without the nails. It was recorded in 2010 and it's one of those pieces I have to bring back, hopefully it won't take years to make it better especially with the help of a time-machine :wink:
The secret is to play with shorter nails or with an attack where flesh and nail forms a continuos tool, - the string slips then along the nail before you let the string go. This is not a staight right angle nail attack and does not make the sound you hear in your video when you pluck. In order to achieve that you need to turn your right hand backwards and use a flatter angle and you need a good shape of the nail with the exact form of your finger tipp. You should get some advice about that on the forum - there is plenty of it. But anyway, your vibrato and your acentuation etc are very nice. Improving your right hand attack will benfit a lot your playing! In order to produce good sound you need to press the string down and then loosen it as explained above, you should not pluck the string nor pull and pluck, it is press down and loosen - exactly the oposite.

Return to “Our favourite websites”