Rey de la Torre

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Rey de la Torre

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Here is one side of an album by an old friend of mine from long ago, the great Rey de la Torre. One of the all time great classical guitarists, sadly now largely forgotten and only occasionally mentioned. Just listen to this exquisite playing.

P.S. For some reason the video starts past the beginning. When it opens just back it up to the beginning.

Ramon

Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

powderedtoastman

Re: Rey de la Torre

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks for sharing! I don't think I've listened to his playing yet.

In the SF Bay area there are a few people around who studied under him, so I've heard mentions of him maybe a little more often than you would in any other locale.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm
Thanks for sharing! I don't think I've listened to his playing yet.

In the SF Bay area there are a few people around who studied under him, so I've heard mentions of him maybe a little more often than you would in any other locale.
Yes, after he had to stop performing due to a terrible and crippling disease – rheumatoid arthritis, he ended up teaching at the San Francisco Conservatory. Manuel Barrueco was one of his students.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:40 pm

Ramon, thanks for creating the thread and posting the video.

His recording of Torroba's Sonatina is one that I keep coming back to, especially the slow movement which in his hands is very special - one of those performances where time stands still.

Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 pm

JohnB wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:40 pm
His recording of Torroba's Sonatina is one that I keep coming back to, especially the slow movement which in his hands is very special - one of those performances where time stands still.
I have this LP! Love it :)
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm not great judge of these things but what always strikes me is the freedom with which he plays (that isn't to say "uncontrolled") - as though there are no technical difficulties - just the flow of the music.

It is such a pity that he seems to have largely dropped out of guitarists consciousness these days. I have a couple of his LPs and intend to collect what I can, I'll then get then professionally cleaned and will then digitize (using my old Rega Planar 3 turntable) and use the noise/click removal tools in Sound Forge to clean them up. I might even get round to uploading the finished files onto YouTube.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 pm

One of my early teachers was his student, he was always raving about him, so I heard this name a great deal growing up.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I love and admire Rey de la Torre for a few reasons apart from his lyrical playing. He taught my guitar master, so I have only 1 degree of separation from him, and also he performed on a magnicent Simplicio (as Dofpic will tell you), and that inspired me to settle for nothing less.
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

I feel that Rey de la Torre was superior in both technique and musicianship to Segovia;I listened to these recordings as I learned, his playing was so warm and lyrical.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Our favourite websites”