Frank Wallace on his new Green

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Aaron Green
Luthier

Frank Wallace on his new Green

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi Guys

As my youtube channel VintageClassicalGuitars will bear witness, most of the guitars featured there are guitars I represent as a dealer. However I recently completed a new concert guitar for Frank Wallace which he recorded in our last session (which included the 68 Friederich and 39 Hauser...good company indeed).

Anyways I thought I'd post the video of Frank on his new Green here

Hope people enjoy it!

Aaron
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

astro64

Re: Frank Wallace on his new Green

Post by astro64 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 pm

That is an excellent sounding instrument. Having heard many of Frank's recordings, the instrument matches his playing style well. He seems to have a strong attack and the instrument has to be able to handle it.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Very nice!
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Lovely work Aaron!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm

I've been lucky enough to hear this guitar in-person, it's gorgeous!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you all! I must admit I am quite pleased with how Frank's guitar is evolving. I am also quite happy to give him credit for that. The final outcome is always the result of the collaboration between the luthier, instrument and player. Which is why as a builder you always hope for a good or at the very least conscientious player.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:26 pm

:applauso:
The guitar you made for Frank suits him very well!
That was lovely. :casque:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Awesome! Congrats Aaron!! Your work is amazing....as are you!!!

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Okay be honest did you tweak the recording with digital enhancements or is the room you are playing in very lively? The trebles sound really focused and the bass sounds quite lively and powerful.

I'd ding it in no time.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Okay be honest did you tweak the recording with digital enhancements or is the room you are playing in very lively? The trebles sound really focused and the bass sounds quite lively and powerful.

I'd ding it in no time.
In reverse-

Dings I can handle, I love the look of a well loved and played guitar, regardless of what the collectors seem to favor. As long as my clients are dilligent about the humidity issues (unsolicited endorsement- Planet Waves, use them year round and your guitar will thank you)

In regards to the recording-
This is a real topic of discussion in and of itself. The concept that a direct source, digital recreation is somehow an accurate representation of the sound of an instrument is completely false. Or more to the point that this process does not color and influence the sound is false, because it does. In either case our goal in all the recordings we do is to present the guitar in the best approximation of what you hear in the room when listening to it live. So yes Frank does a little sound enhancement by the way of reverb because the recordings as is are rather dry and compressed. Which the instruments are most certainly not.

Frank is using some real pro equipment and does not have to do nearly as much post production as one might think. We've moved him around quite a bit to find the best sound in the space available (my studio and my home). We've tried using a local church here in town and I may start looking around again as there are a few that might be good spaces for such purposes.

One thing I am very proud of if you go through my Youtube channel's video library, is that the guitars all stand on their own merits, it's not like every video sounds the same due to heavy post production work. I don't want anyone to come and play a guitar and say that the sound is totally unlike what they heard. In fact I am very happy that my clientele so far has been quite effusive about how well the videos represent the instruments, once they get the instrument in their hands.

Please everybody, subscribe to my Youtube channel! We're going to start bringing in and recording other guitarists as part of this project. Frank is the ideal person as a collaborator but we're both looking forward to recording some new folks.
Aaron Green, Luthier

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Would love to hear the dry recordings. It's true your video posts show a lot of different tonal colors in the various instruments.

Still I find the reverb to be a bit too much. But that is using modest headphones...if on a stereo set of speakers it could project a lot different.

Thanks I guess I'll have to try planet waves. The Boveda packs are great for cigars...funny how it was originally a tobacco product that went full circle in the guitar industry. Why couldn't of that...

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:36 pm

I should have, in my previous post, given the absolute credit to the recordings to Frank. He does it all and it’s an impressive testimony to his many skills.

Your point of using headphones demonstrates another recording concern, the myriad of ways that people listen to the recordings. Lap top speakers, headphones and every other kind of speaker device known to man. I could see how headphones would magnify the post production color as it were. But headphones are not what I’d call the preferred listening medium to be honest.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Sounds great. A touch too much reverb maybe?
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 am

Awesome Aaron. Congrats.
“Every man should be capable of all ideas, and I believe that in the future he will be.” ― Jorge Luis Borges

robert e

Post by robert e » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm
So yes Frank does a little sound enhancement by the way of reverb because the recordings as is are rather dry and compressed. Which the instruments are most certainly not.
Hi Aaron,

Congratulations on a lovely instrument. Also on a cool YouTube channel.

I agree with others here that the sweetening Frank Wallace applied sounds a tad heavy handed, or over-processed. But I suspect the issue is that when it comes to sound processing, "accurate" and "natural" are two distinct goals that won't necessarily produce the same result.

In comparison, the recordings by Jonas Kublick in your studio come across as much more "natural", at least to my ear.

Again, though, naturalism is not the same thing as accuracy, and I would assume that the latter is your primary concern in these recordings.

Return to “Our favourite websites”