Bach BWV 582

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
kirolak

Bach BWV 582

Post by kirolak » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:36 pm

I have fallen "in love" with this pianist. . .and his wonderful transcription.
What an astonishing performance. . .I don't suppose this would be feasible on the guitar?

Vlad Kosulin

Re: Bach BWV 582

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:13 pm

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for pointing out this video. This transcription does seem to work! In that way it's a lot like Liszt's transcriptions. Unfortunately I don't think this could ever work on guitar. It's very tough even with two hands on a keyboard.

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm

ddray wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:36 pm
Thanks for pointing out this video. This transcription does seem to work! In that way it's a lot like Liszt's transcriptions. Unfortunately I don't think this could ever work on guitar. It's very tough even with two hands on a keyboard.
I attended a lecture/demonstration on counterpoint by guitarist Tilman Hoppstock at a GFA convention a few years ago. He played a minute or two of the Passacaglia then stopped and said, "It gets a bit tricky after this point." The excerpt he played looked plenty "tricky"! I'd say it would take 3-4 guitars to do it justice, and even then it would lose the majesty of the original.
Joshia de Jonge 2016 spruce/African bw
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 am

John Oster wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:23 pm
ddray wrote:
I attended a lecture/demonstration on counterpoint by guitarist Tilman Hoppstock at a GFA convention a few years ago. He played a minute or two of the Passacaglia then stopped and said, "It gets a bit tricky after this point." The excerpt he played looked plenty "tricky"! I'd say it would take 3-4 guitars to do it justice, and even then it would lose the majesty of the original.
Inspired by this thread, I downloaded and printed off the Fritz Malata transcription from imslp. It seems reasonably similar to Zhukov's version in the video. Believe me, it's a handful. Er, two handfuls. :shock: But what a glorious work it is. The way the passacaglia theme is woven into the fugue is just staggeringly brilliant to me.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 am
John Oster wrote:
ddray wrote:
Inspired by this thread, I downloaded and printed off the Fritz Malata transcription from imslp. It seems reasonably similar to Zhukov's version in the video. Believe me, it's a handful. Er, two handfuls. :shock: But what a glorious work it is. The way the passacaglia theme is woven into the fugue is just staggeringly brilliant to me.
How about this lively amazing Bach Chorale Prelude BWV 734 transcribed by Wilhelm Kempff? Maybe on 3 guitars at half the speed lol. Of course it would lose all the brilliance and joy this incredible pianist Vikingur Olafsson puts into this astonishing performance, enjoy! :D

This one's beautiful too, same pianist, an amazing new talent - his whole new Bach recording is gorgeous, highly recommended!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:25 am

Cipher wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:47 am
John Oster wrote:

How about this lively amazing Bach Chorale Prelude BWV 734 transcribed by Wilhelm Kempff? Maybe on 3 guitars at half the speed lol. Of course it would lose all the brilliance and joy this incredible pianist Vikingur Olafsson puts into this astonishing performance, enjoy! :D

This one's beautiful too, same pianist, an amazing new talent - his whole new Bach recording is gorgeous, highly recommended!

Yeah, the Busoni transcription of "Nun freut euch" will also tie your fingers in knots. Can't say that I've ever gotten through it at that speed :lol: Beautiful performances though, thanks for pointing them out.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:41 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:25 am

Yeah, the Busoni transcription of "Nun freut euch" will also tie your fingers in knots. Can't say that I've ever gotten through it at that speed :lol: Beautiful performances though, thanks for pointing them out.

Glad you listened and liked them! This arr. of BWV 734 that Olafsson plays in the video is by Wilhelm Kempff, not Busoni, is there a difference to your ears between the two? Thanks! :D

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:47 am

Cipher wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:41 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:25 am

Glad you listened and liked them! This arr. of BWV 734 that Olafsson plays in the video is by Wilhelm Kempff, not Busoni, is there a difference to your ears between the two? Thanks! :D
They sound similar, but they go so fast I can't tell. :lol: I'd have to compare the scores. Here's Horowitz from way back playing the Busoni version. What's amazing is how, when it's played well, it sounds like 3 hands. (Edit) listening again, I can spot a difference in the concluding phrase.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:21 am

ddray wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:47 am

They sound similar, but they go so fast I can't tell. :lol: I'd have to compare the scores. Here's Horowitz from way back playing the Busoni version. What's amazing is how, when it's played well, it sounds like 3 hands. (Edit) listening again, I can spot a difference in the concluding phrase.
Oh wow that's amazing playing from Horowitz! I can see where Olafsson got his inspiration and even some interpretation from :wink:

Yes it definitely sounds like piano-3 hands lol

Thanks for the link! :D

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:22 am

For a similar approach to an organ work that's on a level with BWV 582 (or even higher, in my opinion), here's a pretty good performance of Liszt's transcription of BWV 544:

Tea Toradze

Post by Tea Toradze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

Thank you,
I will keep this in my playlist

Return to “Our favourite websites”