Collection of scores for guitar - Levels D01 to D03

The 1st collection comprises scores published by Jean-François Delcamp for levels D01 to D03. Permission to download these scores is granted after a member has had 2 messages approved by the moderators.
Forum rules
Permission to download these scores is granted after a member has had 2 messages approved by the moderators.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: Collection of scores for guitar - Levels D01 to D03

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Jared Lee wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:18 pm
[...]
One question, in the FAQs, it is mentioned that phrasing is one of the things taught in D01. However, I have not come across it in any of the lessons. May I know which lesson/part of the book covers phrasing? Or is it in a higher level?
Phrasing is indicated in the D01 scores by long curved lines stretching over groups of notes, so you can see more easily which notes are grouped together and where one group ends and another begins. While they may not be described in the text of the online lessons, you should hear in the demonstration videos how the playing corresponds to the phrasing indicated in the score. Phrasing in music is rather like phrasing in singing. There is quite a nice definition of it in an old forum post here.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Jared Lee

Post by Jared Lee » Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 am

GeoffB wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Jared Lee wrote:
[...]
One question, in the FAQs, it is mentioned that phrasing is one of the things taught in D01. However, I have not come across it in any of the lessons. May I know which lesson/part of the book covers phrasing? Or is it in a higher level?
Phrasing is indicated in the D01 scores by long curved lines stretching over groups of notes, so you can see more easily which notes are grouped together and where one group ends and another begins. While they may not be described in the text of the online lessons, you should hear in the demonstration videos how the playing corresponds to the phrasing indicated in the score. Phrasing in music is rather like phrasing in singing. There is quite a nice definition of it in an old forum post here.
Alright, thanks for clarifying. I will go back and review the videos.

I've seen that post before... however, what I was looking for was more of HOW to phrase (aka play musically) rather than a definition. I'm aware of the different techniques (varying tempo, loudness, ponticello/tasto, vibrato, etc) and how they can make music sound more interesting to the listener but was hoping for a guide of when to use what (which part of the music? what emotions does each variation invoke in the listener?).

my teacher previously described a piece of music as "question and answer" whereby if a phrase consisting of the same melody is repeated, you could do ponticello on the "answer". but beyond that I have no clue how to play a piece "beautifully".

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am

OK, Jared, I see. It might be worth scrolling through the Classical Guitar Classes and Classical Guitar technique sections to see whether there are any likely looking discussions about that subject there, or maybe start your own topic if you don't find any.
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat May 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Jared Lee wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 am
GeoffB wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Jared Lee wrote:
[...]
Alright, thanks for clarifying. I will go back and review the videos.

I've seen that post before... however, what I was looking for was more of HOW to phrase (aka play musically) rather than a definition. I'm aware of the different techniques (varying tempo, loudness, ponticello/tasto, vibrato, etc) and how they can make music sound more interesting to the listener but was hoping for a guide of when to use what (which part of the music? what emotions does each variation invoke in the listener?).

my teacher previously described a piece of music as "question and answer" whereby if a phrase consisting of the same melody is repeated, you could do ponticello on the "answer". but beyond that I have no clue how to play a piece "beautifully".
This is a great question Jared, as important as learning how to do a rest stroke IMHO.
I don’t recall any specific teachings about phrasing in the lessons, up to and including D06. But phrasing and playing musically are about listening. Listen closely to Prof Delcamp’s demonstrations and you will hear him applying the variety of techniques you mention to the works. Also, try phrasing scales, use dynamics, crescendo, timbre, articulation (staccato and legato for example) to experiment with different phrasing. His videos are very expressive, almost old school, and I think this is a feature many students miss in his instruction. Many student submittals I watch tend to be metronomic and lack much in the way of phrasing, and few comment in it. I also think it is important to begin playing a piece with feeling, phrasing, musically, from the first notes you play of that piece as you learn it, experimenting as you go, rather than learning the notes then trying to bolt on phrasing later.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

ellenymita

Post by ellenymita » Sun May 13, 2018 5:01 am

Thanks!
Nice forum!

ode_to_bacchus

Post by ode_to_bacchus » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Just want to say "Thank You!" for the wonderful lessons. It is truly remarkable and a veritable tome of information for the new and seasoned classical guitarist.

Wong Wai Hon
Student of the online lessons

Post by Wong Wai Hon » Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 am

I am so happy for joining this wonderful course.
Thank you very much!

mbhatt2003

Post by mbhatt2003 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm

This looks like a great place for a beginner such as myself to start learning. thank you!

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Thank you for providing this! This is an incredible resource.
Best,
Chuck

William Byrd
Student of the online lessons

Post by William Byrd » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:35 am

This appears to be very useful. I look forward to being able to download the music.
1959 Sakazo Nakade
1966 Kazuo Yairi Uzuki
1969 Sakazo Nakade No 1000G
2010 Hiroshi Komori No 35

jocelyncsm

Post by jocelyncsm » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Mr Delcamp,
I just bought a classical guitar and am a beginner looking for some good scores to start off.
Very excited! :)
Thank you for making these resources available!

dkha

Post by dkha » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Thank you so much for this!

Raamses Diaz

Post by Raamses Diaz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:56 pm

This is amazing, looking forward to practicing the first lessons.
Thanks!

brians

Post by brians » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 am

A great resource, thank you Mr Delcamp.

xnmf433

Post by xnmf433 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 am

Thank you a lot!!These materials are excellent for me as an amateur player !!!

Return to “Scores for classical guitar - D01, D02, D03”