Right hand technique: a new perspective

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Crofty

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Crofty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 pm

John

As I believe a few others have advised, the best way to sort technical issues is to slow down and use a metronome - yet you don't seem to be doing this, or demonstrating what you feel you have discovered slowly so that we can actually SEE what your fingers are doing.

Indeed, and unusually, the only finger generally visible is the index [plus the thumb]. That seems significantly strange to me.

Since you say you welcome feedback I have to tell you that I can hear little difference between any one of the short videos you have posted of the opening of Recuerdos. To be honest it sounds like you could have recorded them all at the same time, so something is amiss with what you are doing and the improvement you are "hearing".

Since you are obviously very sincere in your desire to improve I really do advise that you take on board the advice given by Nick, above, and also play slowly using a metronome.

With best wishes,

Paul.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Thank you for the advice about metronome. I've spent 37 years doing that.

The problem has been a technique issue, not a rhythmic one!:

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

have you not heard about the ant and the centipede?

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Ortega,

We are ALL telling you.

It IS 100% a rhythmic issue.

Only possible way I could imagine to fix it is to slow down and play evenly. With or without a click. Doesn't matter.

You are just hammering the gallop in more and more, it seems.

I -think- you need to slow way down and honestly maybe to think less and just let it happen. I think you over think friend.

Best of luck buddy.
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

I was firing the m finger too early, I think I have it!😀

All axioms of the discovery are being applied here, I'm simply delaying the firing of the m finger a bit!

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm
Ortega,

We are ALL telling you.

It IS 100% a rhythmic issue.
It is even deeper that that, as some of us have been telling him over the last ... year(s)? Even if he manages to sound even in time at one particular tempo - the one he always plays at - the BIGGER problem is that he is using his right hand as a giant triple pick and mainly derives the AMI sound - such as it is - by pulling his whole hand up from the elbow.

So this is a technique problem (but not the way he thinks about it) on top of, or rather worse - underneath - the rhythmic evenness problem. Even if he manages to match the tripple-pick pull to the current tempo well enough to actually sound all (p)ami notes evenly loud and in time, as soon as he tries to play at a different speed, he faces the evenness problem all over again as it requires a different speed and micro-adjustments of the triple-pick motion to pull it off evenly. But right now he is not even hitting all ami notes a significant portion of the tries.
Last edited by guitarrista on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Ortega wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

All axioms of the discovery are being applied here, I'm simply delaying the firing of the m finger a bit!
To my ears this latest car recording starts out galloping but then you correct it into what is starting to sound even to me! (Of course my ears are not well trained, hopefully someone else can confirm or deny)

I have faith you will get it one way or another Ortega. You clearly want it badly.
Studying Jazz and Blues now.. So it goes friends. I might make a return to Classical at some point.

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Ortega wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

i think thats where my wife would like to put me when i practise :D :casque:

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Every time I see tremolo happening in the back of the car I want to say, "Again?? If you don't stop that RIGHT NOW I'm turning this car around!" :mrgreen:

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:09 pm

maybe he should buy by a lexus

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 pm

John.

You say that you practised with a metronome for 37 years [!!!!]

You also say, regularly, that you are "firing" your i, [m or a] finger "too early" and have now fixed your problems by ceasing to do so.

Firstly, what does "firing" your finger mean, in simple terms? Secondly, if it simply means plucking the string at the right time then I have to suggest to you that achieving that aim is precisely what slow practice, with a metronome, is guaranteed to fix - provided, of course, that you listen carefully and push through the string at the precise moment the metronome clicks.

If you would just allow yourself to play open string exercises at around 84 bpm, playing p a m i individually on each click - and video yourself doing so in a way that allows people following your thread to see all three fingers and thumb as they pluck their respective strings, then that would be very useful for all of us.

I have a sense that you won't do so, though I don't really understand why.

Paul

Ortega

Post by Ortega » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am

My m finger was not firing too early; my A finger was too LATE! :)

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 am

Ortega wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am
At :13 it looks like a Guitar Center showroom in the background.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:29 am

Silly question, are you playing A and M on the 2nd string and I on the first?
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:42 am

Ortega wrote
"I was firing the m finger too early, I think I have it!"

and later.....

"My m finger was not firing too early; my A finger was too LATE!"

The above are just two quotes from a litany of "discoveries" you have made - but I note you don't respond to my suggestions, which were intended to help.

You really are over complicating something incredibly simple: each finger plays and springs back, independently, one at a time, in a regular sequence. That is all there is to it.

Do it efficiently, and with a metronome to ensure you stay in time, and then, over time increase your speed whilst also concentrating on the necessary musical qualities to make it .... well...... musical.

Return to “Members' Announcements”