Advice on learning notes and becoming fluent

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Advice on learning notes and becoming fluent

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Paul Janssen wrote: Stephen, you are of course correct. In principal both of these events could occur (more so your second example). And I am certainly not trying to discourage anyone from becoming a proficient reader. I guess I meant for solo performances, it is highly unlikely that a guitarist would ever just get up and play a piece they have never seen or played before in front of an audience. After all there is already so many other things to worry about, why would anyone put themselves under this added pressure?
Indeed, understood and well put Paul. It happens in pedagogical circumstances; my thing is that for normal (e.g. not conservatoire) teaching, the tutor should be able to sight-read anything a student will bring in - preferably better than the student will ever play it.
Similarly, for public classes, a tutor should be able to read pretty much anything, not, normally to play the whole piece for the audience, because that would be to kind of put the student down, but certainly to be able to demonstrate particular passages, alternate fingerings etc.

No soloist would ever, in a concert for which the audience was paying, sight-read prima vista; but the same goes for other instruments, though for piano-accompanied pieces e.g. for violin & piano, in principle the pianist might have to be sight-reading in an emergency.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:21 pm

caged is very useful. Do a search and learn the system. The patterns make memorizing the fretboard quite easy and even better make moving (especially chords) around the neck simple)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:54 am

Lots of practice. There are different mental processes involved in learning the notes and the fretboard and how it's associated with aural memory, physical movement, notation, theory, etc. Different types of learning and practice develop the different mental processes and physical motions, and I think ultimately lead to a stronger foundation. It just takes work. IME to put in the hours you need to enjoy what you are doing.

15070p3

Post by 15070p3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 am

www.fretjam.com is a good resource for learning music theory on guitars. Although not specific to classical guitars, most of their articles and videos are very thoughtfully produced and explain many fundamental concepts very clearly.

http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-intervals.html is a good starting point.
followed by http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-intervals-fretboard.html
and https://bestbluesguitarlessonsonline.co ... -intervals

Hope it helps.
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - - Shakespeare

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I believe no matter how one plays any other instrument,the cg is a world of its own and one must not be too proud to start in the basement and slowly work upward.

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Since you know the C scale in second position, try reciting the notes as you go up and down the scale while looking at the scale on paper. Next, do the same thing but, look at your fingers; again, while reciting the notes. Now, this is the tough one; start your C scale at the top and come down reciting the notes.
Next plan of attack: Find the C scale in 7th position and, again, do the reciting while looking at the scale on paper and, then, look at your fingers. Also, practice starting at the top.
After a bit, you will know lots of notes all over the fret board. Just some thoughts.

nattyCT

Post by nattyCT » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 pm

I've learned from noad's book, learning notes in the first position was a breeze.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”