Exercises without guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Kahve

Exercises without guitar

Post by Kahve » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am

I'am spending most of my time in the office away from the guitar. I do some left hand exercises like spider walking, combinations of 1 3 2 4 etc. while using computer or in the meeting:))

Can you suggest any other exercises for left and right hand. Or any other exercises that can be applied without guitar, for us who spents lots of time away from guitar.

Thank you very much.

mark96

Re: Exercises without guitar

Post by mark96 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am

Kahve wrote:I'am spending most of my time in the office away from the guitar. I do some left hand exercises like spider walking, combinations of 1 3 2 4 etc. while using computer or in the meeting:))

Can you suggest any other exercises for left and right hand. Or any other exercises that can be applied without guitar, for us who spents lots of time away from guitar.

Thank you very much.
The RH edge of your seat is excellent for tremolo practice pami, pmami, and piami are personal favorites, but the combinations, while mathematically not limitless, are numerable.

Mark

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:13 pm

might want to obtain a gripmaster,, allows individual finger exercises and is a good hand strengthner,,

just google gripmaster to see them,,

Trystramys

Post by Trystramys » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:50 pm

here are some other suggestions:

Practicing without a guitar?
http://delcamp.net/forum/en/viewtopic.php?t=11011

:D

jacobsonbrandon

Post by jacobsonbrandon » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:21 am

I came across this very small guitar trainer that you can practically take anywhere. Check it out. Here is the website http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewart.html?id=62
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

owl

Post by owl » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:50 pm

:shock: What a great little doover-lackey!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

tremolo_jones

Exercises away from the Guitar

Post by tremolo_jones » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:41 pm

Well there's always "Steering-wheel Rasgueados" at red lights.

Pepe Romero recomends making little alternating circles in the air with the tips of two right-hand fingers (i & m, or i & a, or m & a) as if they were peddling a miniature bicycle.

I like to do the following also:

Hold your right hand with fingers straight out. Then bend at the second joint (not the knuckle where the finger joins the hand, but at the next joint out). Basically you've curled your fingers while keeping the knuckle joint straight. Now straighten out the 4th finger while keeping the others curled. Next straighten out the "a" finger then the "m" finger and then the "i" finger. Now curl the fingers back in the same order "c, a, m, i".

Basically you've had the fingers "do the wave" from the middle joint. When you get it going smoothly it's fun.

cheers,

t_j

Kahve

Post by Kahve » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for suggestions. For flamenco guitar trainer, it seems very useful..

Muckdogzen

Post by Muckdogzen » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:10 am

I have to check out the "Flamenco trainer". This sounds like a good time to visualize yourself playing on the fretboard. Or visualize the fingers plucking and struming the strings. This exercise was recomended to me by a teacher who was a very good sight reader.

Warning: Don't do this while driving a motor vehicle. Dave.

mikeedwin

Post by mikeedwin » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Google or youtube search ' Finger Fitness '

This guy has a video out, its quite old and not even sure if its available to buy anymore. But you can get the gist of it from the youtube vid.

Chadwell

Re:

Post by Chadwell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:58 pm

jacobsonbrandon wrote:I came across this very small guitar trainer that you can practically take anywhere. Check it out. Here is the website http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewart.html?id=62
:lol:

There's every thing for anything. My god. Decent idea, although one could easily get a piece of board, thier old strings, 12 nails, tie the ends on...

kovacsgergo77

Post by kovacsgergo77 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:29 am

I love jacobsonbrandon's idea about this micro-guitar! :grire:
Cute little intrument!
Maybe I'll get one for travelling !
Cheers Greg

kovacsgergo77

Post by kovacsgergo77 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 pm

I've just found a very good way to exercise both hands .
There are theese metal or marble balls called sometimes chi-kung balls or on many other names.
Theese are two balls with a spring and another ball inside.
You have to rotate them constantly in your hands. Two balls in one hand , two balls in the other hand.
After a while your hands become extreme loose and rapid.
You have to start the exercise with the smallest balls possible. It is not easy to rotate them in the beginning, but after a week practising a few hours every day , you'll be a master of them. Then you can buy any size you can handle.
After a week exercising with the smallest ,i've bought the biggest one. They are very good to the hands, but they are also good for your health.
They used it a lot in the ancient China for preserving health , increasing energy ,or just for doing something.
They make a chill-out noise also like smooth bells. Try this out!
Greg :bye:

alainc99

Post by alainc99 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 am

Chadwell wrote:There's every thing for anything. My god. Decent idea, although one could easily get a piece of board, thier old strings, 12 nails, tie the ends on...
That's pretty funny... because that's precisely what my Dad and I did. :mrgreen:

Wow, I wish I had some pictures of it to post... ha. I can't believe you called it exactly, Chadwell! It's a hunk of wood (left over from our old porch) and 12 nails roughly bashed into it with a hammer!! We tied six strings on it and called it a job well done. It was so much fun making that thing! We later replaced 6 of the nails with an old set of machine heads (which we hammered into the block for good measure!).

We didn't know someone had already come up with such a professional looking model. I was really impressed with my Dad's idea. You can't imagine how amused I was to see that someone had already produced a much better looking model... with actual frets! Oh well, it seems almost impossible to be original in this day and age.

Cheers,
Alain

avoz

Re:

Post by avoz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:51 am

jacobsonbrandon wrote:I came across this very small guitar trainer that you can practically take anywhere. Check it out. Here is the website http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewart.html?id=62
The Reinaldo Rivero gizmo is advertised on the site of the 'Shadow' pickup manufacturers (I have one of their piezo pickups fitted to a classical) - I wonder if they have any plans to put a pickup on it as it could be marketed with a big Rock band rig and a lorry or two.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”