Exercises without guitar

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
qoody

Re: Exercises without guitar

Post by qoody » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:50 am

Do not really see how this little thing will help, while at work, or especially in the meeting )

pmiklitz

Re:

Post by pmiklitz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 am

Derry wrote:might want to obtain a gripmaster,, allows individual finger exercises and is a good hand strengthner,,

just google gripmaster to see them,,
Hi All,

I personally don't like these devices and don't think they do you any good. The movements you train with a gripmaster are quite different from the movements when playing the guitar. As far as the left hand is concerened your fingers only need as much strength as required to make the string touch a fret without buzzing, which can be achieved without the fingertip touching the fretboard.

As William Kanengiser quotes Pepe Romero on one of his DVDs:

"It's very easy to play the guitar well, but it hard to play it badly"

Cheers,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

rhilapse

Post by rhilapse » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:37 am

Whoever knew being away from the guitar could be so beneficial if you know what to do to keep your hands limber.. !
I quite like tremolo_jones' suggestion - I'd never heard of that one before.
For the left hand, would using a stress ball frequently be beneficial for strengthening the muscles?

smsy

Post by smsy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:00 am

Dear friends,
I daily travel for 4 to 5 hours by bus. While traveling I practice flamenco Rasgeado strokes at the inner side of my left thigh, just at middle point between the knee and thigh's uppermost part. Sorry i donot know how to tell it to you. perhaps upper most part I am trying to mention is called waist in english.
Yours
Dr.SMS Yadav
India
My heart is wood
My heart is hollow
My heart can play only solo

Yours CG Hearted,
smsy

Gerry_Evans

Re: Hand trainers

Post by Gerry_Evans » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Derry wrote:might want to obtain a gripmaster,, allows individual finger exercises and is a good hand strengthner,,

just google gripmaster to see them,,
You actually do not want to do this/use these. The problem is that they do more harm than good. You want your hands to be loose and fast not strong. For example, if you wanted to run marathons you practice running, pacing yourself and staying loose. Not weight lifting or muscle strenghening.

Think of it this way, who is going to run faster for a longer period of time? A marathon runner or a power lifter or even better yet a sprinter? If you look at a marathon runner their legs are lean and loose as opposed to a sprinter who's legs are muscular and tight.

By the time you are 3-4 years old the muscles that move your fingers (that are actually in your inner forearm not your hand. Place your opposing hand on your inner forearm and move your fingers and you will see what I mean) are already fully developed.

So by using these trainers your hands get stronger but the speed and looseness of your hands are diminished.

Gerry

JimDPringle

Post by JimDPringle » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:20 am

Dear Kahve

I came across this and very excited about it...purchased the lessons 2 days ago and believe this will be very useful

http://www.magicmusicianfingers.com/

Its called the Orosz Technique. Jules Orosz has an impressive resume

Let me know what you think

owl

Post by owl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:48 am

JimDPringle wrote: Its called the Orosz Technique. Jules Orosz has an impressive resume
Let me know what you think
Jim, there is some discussion going on here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35593

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

rhilapse

Post by rhilapse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 am

I wish I was that coordinated that I could twirl those chinese balls in my hands..
Better get started!

Guitar1979

Post by Guitar1979 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 am

Wow ... I checked the website about that lovely practice guitar. Love to get one for myself
So nice to have such genuis people to make these gadgets for us, guitar lovers.

My colleagues never really understand why I am so crazy about finger exercise.
if they see me with one of these cure stuffs, they would definately laugh ...

but i dont care :D

ogriff

Post by ogriff » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks a bunch for these links/exercises. Bound to work much better that Classical "Air" Guitar ;)

Mark Young

Re: Exercises away from the Guitar

Post by Mark Young » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:33 am

tremolo_jones wrote:Well there's always "Steering-wheel Rasgueados" at red lights.

Pepe Romero recomends making little alternating circles in the air with the tips of two right-hand fingers (i & m, or i & a, or m & a) as if they were peddling a miniature bicycle.

I like to do the following also:

Hold your right hand with fingers straight out. Then bend at the second joint (not the knuckle where the finger joins the hand, but at the next joint out). Basically you've curled your fingers while keeping the knuckle joint straight. Now straighten out the 4th finger while keeping the others curled. Next straighten out the "a" finger then the "m" finger and then the "i" finger. Now curl the fingers back in the same order "c, a, m, i".

Basically you've had the fingers "do the wave" from the middle joint. When you get it going smoothly it's fun.

cheers,

t_j
Thanks for that one, I like that. It helps to stretch out my fingers a bit.

I don't know if I'm the only one that is like this, but the fingers on my left hand feel very loose, and move rapidly quite well, whereas the fingers on my right hand in comparison feel tight and rigid. I can only move the at about half the speed of my left hand.
Ironically, I used to play guitar left handed in High School, but had to switch to being a right handed guitarist because the school didn't have enough left handed guitars.

Alhambra

Post by Alhambra » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:09 am

If im away from my guitar I take a credit card in the palm of my fretting hand and place the tips of my fingers on the edge of the card. Although not the best thing out there, I think that helps maintain the finger tips.

andyp13

Post by andyp13 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 am

I was told by a Doctor friend of mine that the gripmaster can do the exact opposite, It can damage tendons etc in your hand, as fretting notes does not require this much resistance.

Alhambra

Post by Alhambra » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 am

andyp13 wrote:I was told by a Doctor friend of mine that the gripmaster can do the exact opposite, It can damage tendons etc in your hand, as fretting notes does not require this much resistance.
Quite interesting...

rhodetyl000

Post by rhodetyl000 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:46 am

I really just think of playing my guitar as i'm doing something else. It's a good memorizing thing and i do it when i'm bored so now i zone out all the time :D

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”