Playing Live in the Y2K

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music


For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm
People take offense when your opinions are offensive.

I doubt that you remind anyone of Galileo, so you can breathe easy on that account.
Your second statement, professor Armbruster, was indeed one of the most delusional you have written to date and embodies your well-honed penchant and proclivity for sophistry. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

rpavich
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by rpavich » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:25 pm
rpavich wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:55 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
However, I do believe in the free and open expression of ideas. It always makes me think of poor Galileo who was threatened with execution by the Roman Catholic Church when he didn't renounce his belief that the earth was round and that the sun, not the earth, was the center of our universe.
Just a quick point. You have repeated this falsehood a few times on this thread. It's completely untrue. It's folklore.

Galileo was punished (not executed nor threatened with such) for disobeying Papal orders.

Actually, R, you're incorrect. Here's an excerpt from UCLA newsroom magazine by Jessica Wolf who states:


"Kelly(UCLA Professor) also noted that by the practice of the time, Galileo’s guilty plea, which denied actual belief in the heresy, triggered an automatic examination of his private beliefs under torture, a new procedure adopted by the church around the turn of the 17th century. Galileo was never tortured, however. The pope decreed that the interrogation should stop short with the mere threat of torture. This was a routine kind of limitation for people of advanced age and ill health like Galileo, and it should not be attributed to the influence of the scientist’s supporters.

Ultimately, Galileo's book was banned, and he was sentenced to a light regimen of penance and imprisonment at the discretion of church inquisitors. After one day in prison, his punishment was commuted to “villa arrest” for the rest of his life. He died in 1642."

I hope this clarifies your misconceptions about the church and Galileo. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Good enough. One source said he was "threatened" with torture. That's fine. However he was punished for disobeying Papal orders, but I'm not going to argue this further...you aren't the kind that's open to other's points of view.

have a good day.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

rpavich
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by rpavich » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm
People take offense when your opinions are offensive.

I doubt that you remind anyone of Galileo, so you can breathe easy on that account.
Your second statement, professor Armbruster, was indeed one of the most delusional you have written to date and embodies your well-honed penchant and proclivity for sophistry. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Wow...we are down to insults as a rebuttal.

FWIW...I completely agree with Jeff, nobody would ever confuse you with Galileo. There are other descriptive terms that would fit but I'll keep them to myself.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

User avatar
lucy
Posts: 1949
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: England

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
lucy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 am
Perhaps, Rognvald could reflect on his philosophy more and assimilate it better. He could try playing Devil's Advocate with himself. Look at the issues from all angles. Then develop a more cogent hypothesis. He could then delineate it to us all more effectively.
does this translate that a "more cogent hypothesis" would be closer to the way others think rather than the way I perceive the world?
No.
Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Why is it, Lucy, that so many people take offense when someone expresses an opinion that is divergent from their own?
They're not doing that. They are taking offence at the way you appear to be setting yourself above others. You say that you're an elitist and proud to be so. Actually, I think it's absolutely fine to have the highest standards - and I'm not sure anyone here actually approves of dumbing things down. It's just that you could show a bit more understanding and compassion to people who can't "get", or perhaps just don't like more serious culture. Different people enjoy all sorts of different things. Personally, I don't like sport much, but I can see why it has such a wide appeal.
Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
However, I do believe in the free and open expression of ideas.
So do I. I'm sorry if I rattled your cage.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

oh never mind.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:20 pm

In China the tradition of ending an argument while allowing everybody to keep their faces is (or at least was ) very highly valued, and for a good reason. I'd suggest that, because not much can be done here anymore, we just let everybody to keep their faces and withdraw from a by now meaningless argument. At least that's what I do now... The world is full of suffering because of so many ways to make it better.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Rognvald
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm

It's just that you could show a bit more understanding and compassion to people who can't "get", or perhaps just don't like more serious culture. Lucy

Lucy,
I am certain that you are a very nice person. And, because this is so obvious to me, I will ask your patience, once again, to try to understand that there is a difference between elitism and conceit, pride, and egotism. They are, indeed, mutually exclusive since the former seeks to strive for both personal as well as group excellence while the latter expresses the most debasing elements of the human condition. In fact, the great English poet Chaucer considered "pride" one of the most egregious of the seven sins. In regards to your above quote, it is not the goal of my life to save the world since I have little time remaining to try to save myself. I don't care how other people live as long as they don't infringe on my right to live the way I choose to live. If I choose to spend my life sailing, reading, playing music, fishing, and hunting, what does it matter if my neighbor chooses to watch mind-numbing TV while popping cans of Budweiser until he passes out? It's my business and it's his business. However, it is not a lack of compassion that prevents me from being "a bit more understanding," it's just that it's a waste of time. What's the point? What's the benefit? How will being more understanding enrichen my life? My only goal in these discourses is to challenge people to think and get outside of their culturally conditioned boxes. For most, it's a waste of their time . . . but when I said I was an elitist it doesn't mean that I'm a fatalist and if there's one apple on the tree that is ripe but not yet rotten . . . perhaps it can be still enjoyed by someone willing to take a bite. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

AndreiKrylov

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:20 pm
In China the tradition of ending an argument while allowing everybody to keep their faces is (or at least was ) very highly valued, and for a good reason. I'd suggest that, because not much can be done here anymore, we just let everybody to keep their faces and withdraw from a by now meaningless argument. At least that's what I do now... The world is full of suffering because of so many ways to make it better.
+1

User avatar
MartinCogg
Amateur luthier
Posts: 460
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: British Isles

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by MartinCogg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 pm

lagartija wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm
Don’t assume that the audience is ignorant about music or anything else. Don’t assume that they will not get the nuances of your performance. I once attended a First Night celebration performance of a local well-known guitarist. As he was speaking to the audience he mentioned he was going to produce a Bach CD which would come out in a few months. He had been working on the pieces diligently, but might leave out a few notes in tonight’s performance ...but none of you would probably know if I did. :shock:
That made an egregious assumption about the audience’s knowledge of Bach. I heard a rumble from the audience and some hissing. As I looked around, I recognized the concertmaster of the local symphony, other professional musicians and classical music afficionados. In my opinion, that showed his disrespect for the audience. It did no favors to the classical guitar and how guitarists are viewed by audiences. If you assume your audience is comprised of ignorant dolts, that attitude will be conveyed, even if you don’t stupidly state it out loud to them.
Whilst I agree it's pretty dumb to tell the audience that no one's going to notice the omission of a few notes, it sounds
to me more like nervousness blurting out whatever thoughts are whizzing around in his noggin, rather than 'disrespect'...

wasn't he merely trying to convey that his cd is going to be a 'better' Bach treat than his present performance? :?

since he was talking about a forthcoming Bach cd, and was about to perform some of it, then by definition they be
arrangements... so how the hell would anybody know what notes may be sitting in the score used for the recorded
performance on his cd (not forgetting the amount of editing that might be involved in a recording) but omitted
from the performance about to happen - besides himself?

He should have said -

'I'm going to leave out a few notes in this performance, but you'll be able to listen to my cd in a few months
time, and work out which ones it will be was'.

Rognvald
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by Rognvald » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:49 pm

MartinCogg wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 pm
lagartija wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm
Don’t assume that the audience is ignorant about music or anything else. Don’t assume that they will not get the nuances of your performance. I once attended a First Night celebration performance of a local well-known guitarist. As he was speaking to the audience he mentioned he was going to produce a Bach CD which would come out in a few months. He had been working on the pieces diligently, but might leave out a few notes in tonight’s performance ...but none of you would probably know if I did. :shock:
That made an egregious assumption about the audience’s knowledge of Bach. I heard a rumble from the audience and some hissing. As I looked around, I recognized the concertmaster of the local symphony, other professional musicians and classical music afficionados. In my opinion, that showed his disrespect for the audience. It did no favors to the classical guitar and how guitarists are viewed by audiences. If you assume your audience is comprised of ignorant dolts, that attitude will be conveyed, even if you don’t stupidly state it out loud to them.
Whilst I agree it's pretty dumb to tell the audience that no one's going to notice the omission of a few notes, it sounds
to me more like nervousness blurting out whatever thoughts are whizzing around in his noggin, rather than 'disrespect'...

wasn't he merely trying to convey that his cd is going to be a 'better' Bach treat than his present performance? :?

since he was talking about a forthcoming Bach cd, and was about to perform some of it, then by definition they be
arrangements... so how the hell would anybody know what notes may be sitting in the score used for the recorded
performance on his cd (not forgetting the amount of editing that might be involved in a recording) but omitted
from the performance about to happen - besides himself?

He should have said -

'I'm going to leave out a few notes in this performance, but you'll be able to listen to my cd in a few months
time, and work out which ones it will be was'.



Martin,
How refreshing to hear a perfectly valid and highly probable explanation by you of Lagartija's story rather than the highly critical and debasing comments he/she provided. Some people live in daily fear of offending one group or another and must come to their aid whether those "offended" want it or not. Chairman Mao and his cultural revolution would highly approve. Playing again . . . Rognvald . . . albeit as some might assume . . . in a sandbox.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”