Playing Live in the Y2K

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rognvald

Re: Playing Live in the Y2K

Post by Rognvald » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm
This is insane.

The worst by product of the internet form of communication.

At least it's mildly entertaining.

Thanks, R . . . wouldn't life be boring without a little diversion? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:19 pm

rpavich wrote:
This is insane.
+2!

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm

You know what drives me nuts about this thread? It's not all the passive aggressive, trollish, backhanded bull$hit from the viking. I tuned that out permanently a couple of weeks ago. It's that I just get back from a few days of travel where I had internet access but didn't visit this forum, and in the top of my feed is "Playing... in the Y2K". Eighteen years have passed. Here we are, eighteen years later.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge...
Stephen Hawking

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge...
Stephen Hawking

And, who perceives the correct illusion of knowledge, Andrei . . . when it can emanate from both the Ying and the Yang? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

montana

Post by montana » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Stephen Hawking
A fitting and timely quote Andrei👍

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge...
Rognvald wrote:And, who perceives the correct illusion of knowledge, Andrei . . . when it can emanate from both the Ying and the Yang?
What a brilliantly illustrative reply. Case closed.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 am

Rognvald wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm
The likes of Dickens, Tolstoi and Frost have been elevated to "greatness", after the passage of time. Lucy
However, if you're looking to cite an accomplished female writer, why not cite the real deal: Anais Nin or Sylvia Plath? So, when you state "I'm not well-versed in the history of literature, Lucy," I would respectfully agree with your honest assessment . . . but I do like your music.
Thank you for liking my music Rognvald. :)

I just wanted to point out that I may not be well-versed in literature, but my English language skills are a little better. Perhaps you should reread what I said?

I did not say that Danielle Steel was on a par with Anais Nin or Sylvia Plath. The point I was making is they are roughly contemporaneous with each other - all 20th Century writers.

And in Dickens' time there were also the Danielle Steels of that era. All were widely read, during their lifetime, however, Dickens is one of the few we remember.

The reason for that is Dickens passed the test of time.

So, it's quite probable that a lot of cultural junk that you speak of now, will also be forgotten in 50 years time, including Ms. Steel perhaps!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 am

Rognvald wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm
rpavich wrote:
This is insane.

The worst by product of the internet form of communication.

At least it's mildly entertaining.

Thanks, R . . . wouldn't life be boring without a little diversion? Playing again . . . Rognvald
Actually, I think Rognvald has a point.

An incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable musician said to me recently, "If you want to learn something, you really only learn from people who are a bit off the wall."

That said, I think Rognvald could consider more carefully how and what he posts!!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 am

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Stephen Hawking
Fantastic quote!!

I suppose it's related to the old saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Perhaps, Rognvald could reflect on his philosophy more and assimilate it better. He could try playing Devil's Advocate with himself. Look at the issues from all angles. Then develop a more cogent hypothesis. He could then delineate it to us all more effectively.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Classical literature = MidSummer Night’s Tale
Popular Literature = Midsummer Night’s Tail’
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm

lucy wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 am
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Stephen Hawking
Fantastic quote!!

I suppose it's related to the old saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Perhaps, Rognvald could reflect on his philosophy more and assimilate it better. He could try playing Devil's Advocate with himself. Look at the issues from all angles. Then develop a more cogent hypothesis. He could then delineate it to us all more effectively.
So, dear Lucy( I hope I haven't breached the code of propriety and decorum I so cherish with my kind appellation) . . . does this translate that a "more cogent hypothesis" would be closer to the way others think rather than the way I perceive the world? Never would be the case with the existentialist Rognvald who would be spiritually sentenced to a lifetime of torture in the bowels of Beelzebub as the Herd bleated, snorted and gloated from above and I would be sentenced to eternal damnation as John Milton's "Paradise Lost" so aptly describes. Why is it, Lucy, that so many people take offense when someone expresses an opinion that is divergent from their own? A world without differing opinions is reminiscent of Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution where any expression contrary to his Marxist views meant imprisonment or death. I am not running for political office nor do I want to be on peoples "Most Liked" list. However, I do believe in the free and open expression of ideas. It always makes me think of poor Galileo who was threatened with execution by the Roman Catholic Church when he didn't renounce his belief that the earth was round and that the sun, not the earth, was the center of our universe. So, we don't have to set up military camps to express our opinions and beliefs, but rather should look at many of these discussions as an intellectual challenge to the way we view the world. And, at the end of the day, we can always retreat to the safety and comfort of our perceived notions(whether right or wrong) of the world . . . for better or worse.. Playing again . . . albeit, with increased ferocity . . . Rognvald

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
However, I do believe in the free and open expression of ideas. It always makes me think of poor Galileo who was threatened with execution by the Roman Catholic Church when he didn't renounce his belief that the earth was round and that the sun, not the earth, was the center of our universe.
Just a quick point. You have repeated this falsehood a few times on this thread. It's completely untrue. It's folklore.

Galileo was punished (not executed nor threatened with such) for disobeying Papal orders.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

People take offense when your opinions are offensive.

I doubt that you remind anyone of Galileo, so you can breathe easy on that account.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:25 pm

rpavich wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:55 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm
However, I do believe in the free and open expression of ideas. It always makes me think of poor Galileo who was threatened with execution by the Roman Catholic Church when he didn't renounce his belief that the earth was round and that the sun, not the earth, was the center of our universe.
Just a quick point. You have repeated this falsehood a few times on this thread. It's completely untrue. It's folklore.

Galileo was punished (not executed nor threatened with such) for disobeying Papal orders.

Actually, R, you're incorrect. Here's an excerpt from UCLA newsroom magazine by Jessica Wolf who states:

"Kelly(UCLA Professor) also noted that by the practice of the time, Galileo’s guilty plea, which denied actual belief in the heresy, triggered an automatic examination of his private beliefs under torture, a new procedure adopted by the church around the turn of the 17th century. Galileo was never tortured, however. The pope decreed that the interrogation should stop short with the mere threat of torture. This was a routine kind of limitation for people of advanced age and ill health like Galileo, and it should not be attributed to the influence of the scientist’s supporters.

Ultimately, Galileo's book was banned, and he was sentenced to a light regimen of penance and imprisonment at the discretion of church inquisitors. After one day in prison, his punishment was commuted to “villa arrest” for the rest of his life. He died in 1642."

I hope this clarifies your misconceptions about the church and Galileo. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”