Using the right hand little finger - C = chico

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
prawnheed

Re: Using the right hand little finger - C = chico

Post by prawnheed » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:48 am

I use it. I have seen it labelled as p (pequeño) in Spanish and Latin American scores. When used that way the thumb is indicated as a P.

mike11

Post by mike11 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm

I can warmly recommend Postlewate's method book as well as his Contemporary Anthology of Solo Guitar Music.

Gustavo Assis-Brasil is another player who has some very creative contributions to this theme.

As a teacher, I sometime choose to teach a student a p-i-m-a-c placement on the top five strings as the "neutral position", or starting point, for all arpeggi. Even if "only" p-i-m-a is played, the pinky staying on the top string builds independence between a-c. It depends on the student, of course, but some take it very easily as the foundation of any arpeggio that they learn later on.

rafitas123

Post by rafitas123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:43 pm

I started to use it recently. I believe Marco Pereira also uses it on his arrangement of Suite Retratos from Radamés Gnattali, here is the notation https://imgur.com/a/IB5sB1V .

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 pm
Changing one's hand position is, by the way, a GOOD thing to do, most of us should have more than one anyway.
I've tried in the past, to change my RH positioning over the strings from the "classic" Segovia bent-wrist style to Bream's stright wrist style, and it just couldn't work for me. Obviously, I respect Bream enormously, but I cannot play with that type of RH positioning. Of course, I'm assuming that that's what you meant by "hav[ing] more than one [right hand position]" ?

All else said about the 'chico', I agree totally and wish I had incorporated it into my technique from the beginning. I'm convinced that future classical guitar technique will incorporate this as part of the normal development of the student.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:39 pm

Great point, Solti,
A musician should never be limited. This is more of a problem with classical players than with Jazzers who continually experiment with sound and technique. Open your ears . . . open your mind . . . it's all Music. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Use "C" whenever you have the opportunity in a piece. Staying focused on the possibility has improved my right hand position.
I don't mean to be dramatic, but it can really make a difference on certain passages.

At least practice it with all the other finger combinations when doing scales.

Telespargel

Post by Telespargel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Well, I don't use it, but I think it could also be helpful with artificial harmonics. The longer distance between C and I may improves the sound production?

DeeKay

Post by DeeKay » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Just discovered that Stephan Rak has some information about using c on his homepage (see section Technique)

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”