Learn Russian 7-string: Morkov Method - video

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
RobMacKillop

Learn Russian 7-string: Morkov Method - video

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47 am

I'll be doing a few of these videos as I work through Morkov's Method for the Russian 7-string guitar. More info at https://sarenkoandco.com/student-zone/ Even if you don't play the Russian 7-string, the theory bit at the 7 minute mark might be worth your while listening to.

Page 13

Morkov p13.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marshall Dixon

Re: Learn Russian 7-string: Morkov Method - video

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:00 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47 am
I'll be doing a few of these videos as I work through Morkov's Method for the Russian 7-string guitar.
Hello Rob,

A 7 string is in the near (I hope) future and until then am trying to absorb some of it's characteristics. As you say in the video, the language is the musical notation, but I can't figure out the numbering above and below the staff. I try to follow along with the lesson but am stymied.

Your rendition of Sychra's "As From Beyond the Forest" is just wonderful. Any chance you can post it here? I think it would be much appreciated.

Thank you. And yes the part about theory was quite informative to me.

Marshall

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm

OK, Marshall. Glad to hear from, as I thought no one here was interested.

Numbers below the notes refer to RH fingers. Instead of pima we have 1234.

Numbers above the notes indicate fret positions and sometimes string number also. Confusion arises when there is a mistake in the notation. So, the second note is meant to be the open 4th string, but it has a 2 above it, indicating the second fret, which it isn't. Not helpful!

In Bar 5 you will see what I call fraction fingerings, such as 1/5, 2/6 and 4/3. The 1/5 in bar 6 indicates the note E is played with the first finger at the fifth fret. It doesn't tell you which string it is on, but as there is only one string which has that e on the fifth fret, it means the second string.

So it helps to know where the notes are. Strings 2, 3 and 4 are the same as what we might call Standard tuning, but as the Russians call their tuning Standard, some have called EADGBE Western tuning, but that doesn't make much sense either. But you know what I mean...I hope.

By the way, the notes on strings 1 and 7 are the same as on 4 (the D string). The notes on strings 6 are the same as on the 3rd (the G string). And the notes on string 5 are the same as on string 2 (the B string). It doesn't take long to figure them all out.

===

Since making the above video, I've added another. Comments welcome! I'll add "As from Beyond a Forest" to the recordings of Classical Music forum here, as it's not from Morkov's Method. Any further questions, just ask!

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello Rob.
So, here is my first attempt with this same study. I'm working on the next exercise in the same page as well . Video soon ;)
This is fun!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Well done, Rui, some different fingering there, which I also tried. There's always more than one way, of course. Did you use the study, as I suggest in the video, to learn about Dominant to Tonic chord fingering? I think that's always useful. We want to be musicians as well as guitar players :-)

I've just made a video of the other exercise on that page. It has a couple of awkward moments. I'll upload the video later today. Now is time for eating!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 pm

Allegretto version, slow version, technical analysis, harmonic analysis - which even mentions Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones :-)

Morkov p18 Allegretto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Excelent (and fun) analysis, Rob.
Uncle Vania and his relative knocked me out 😁

I was doing some weird fingerings in some bars, setting my own twisted logic. I had to remember this is supposed to be a beginner piece, so it should have simpler solutions. Besides that, period instruments were smaller and stretches were easier that in modern guitars.

I wonder if a Russian guy in the 19th century, who wanted to play the guitar and decided to buy Morkov's method in a St Petersburg music shop to learn by himself could effectively learn from it. These first exercises are complicated stuff for a beginner - scales in campanellas, slurs, notes all over the fingerboard, barrés. Any thoughts?

RN

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 pm

I imagine there were/are easier methods for beginners, but I haven't seen them. I'm assuming that as the Russian 7-string is a niche market, most people who come to it today are already at least post beginners, if not fairly accomplished players.

I'm struggling here and there with these "easy" studies. But if you keep at them, it starts to come together.

Yes, Uncle Vania just sprang to mind - almost burst out laughing myself.

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Hello again ;)
"Voilá" my homework with R7SG.
"Morkov... I hate this guy". Me too. Those two passages are really a pain...

PS - there is a extra note on M15 😒

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Ah, you're being inventive with your fingerings. I don't blame you at all! I'm trying to do what he asks, just to try and get in his mind set. His string length would have probably been shorter, and his fingerboard curved for thumb use, so it's probably stupid for me to try his fingering on a guitar with a 53mm nut, and no curve, but I found it interesting to try.

Yeah, those chords in the last line first bar - nightmare!

I neglected to mention in the video (how could I forget!?) that it's the same piece as Sor's Opus 31 Lesson 17, but with a few differences. The awkward bars are not in Sor's version (including those chords!), or the Cm chord in line 6, measure 5 of Morkov's score. Sor, of course, visited Russia, so maybe Morkov heard it, but either misremembered it, making up bits he'd forgotten, or he was just playing with it, changing the score with his own aims for a study in mind. It's quite interesting to compare the two scores.
Last edited by RobMacKillop on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rui Namora
Concert performers

Post by Rui Namora » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Yes, the theme is the same.
As there is tons of pieces in C Major with those Alberti basses, it sounded very familiar, indeed.
But contrary to the pedagogue Sor, Morkov was a sadistic 😁

RN

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Haha. Indeed! I might mis-spell his name as Mordor - the home of Evil in The Lord Of The Rings.

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Interesting! I missed this thread (but I have followed the videos on YT). I am so happy to see and hear the interest for this guitar and repertoire that Rob rise!
Just one mention about Sor and Morkov: actually there are several examples of him stealing from Sor, I have seen it in at least two other pieces by Morkov. What the story is behind this, we do not know (Matanya Ophee used to say - probably as a bit of provocation - that it might have been Sor stealing from Morkov since the Sor pieces in question were published after e returned from Russia...).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Sounds like something he would say!

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:46 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm
OK, Marshall. Glad to hear from, as I thought no one here was interested.

Numbers below the notes refer to RH fingers. Instead of pima we have 1234.

Numbers above the notes indicate fret positions and sometimes string number also. Confusion arises when there is a mistake in the notation. So, the second note is meant to be the open 4th string, but it has a 2 above it, indicating the second fret, which it isn't. Not helpful!

In Bar 5 you will see what I call fraction fingerings, such as 1/5, 2/6 and 4/3. The 1/5 in bar 6 indicates the note E is played with the first finger at the fifth fret. It doesn't tell you which string it is on, but as there is only one string which has that e on the fifth fret, it means the second string.
Thank Rob, that makes sense.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”