Thumb pain with barre

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Paul Janssen

Re: Thumb pain with barre

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am

Ledhand wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:36 am
I haven’t logged in in some time, I’m afraid. I’m so glad that you found the video helpful. Kevin is indeed an incredible teacher and performer. He has generously posted a number of informative videos that are well worth watching. Enjoy!
Completely agree with this. I have found his tutorial videos very helpful. I'm a little envious of anyone who is lucky enough to have him as a teacher.

Rognvald

Re: Thumb pain with barre

Post by Rognvald » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi, S,
KG's video was helpful although a bit windy for my tastes. Here's the simple approach: 1.) If you want good barre chords, you MUST incorporate them in your DAILY practice; 2.)practice proper position as shown in KG's video with the index finger only (omitting your thumb): 3.) Practice several positions on the fretboard noting the differences needed for good tone: 4.)Finally, practice the barre with thumb and index finger. Caution: once your hand feels pain, relax your hand and restart when it feels rested. That's it. In 6 months of everyday practice, you'll have respectable barre chords. Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. Remember, everyone's hands, arms, and body are different. Sometimes, your most effective position may not be 100% theoretically correct although you should strive for the proper position as a goal.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”