Use of 'c' RH Finger

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
DaveLeeNC

Use of 'c' RH Finger

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Left over from my playing back in the 80's (didn't touch a guitar from 1984 or so until 2016) was the use of the c finger (pinky) when playing 5 string chords. This popped up naturally in a couple of pop/jazz pieces and I got pretty comfortable using it (rarely use it outside of 5 string chords). Oddly my c fingernail is the only nail that I have that doesn't crack/break/split easily. To balance out with the other fingers it does need to be a tad longer than the others (or maybe that is its far shorter length - ala' Jason Vieaux's p nail).

I have been working on Villa Lobos Prelude's 1 and 3 and am finding the use of c to be both natural and a bit less trouble than a strum in several(not all) places. And I can control the sound better that way, although maybe that is simply a lack of skill on my part on 'the strum'.

How many others out there regularly use the c finger?

dave
2014 Ashley Sanders Spruce/Ash Burl
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

soltirefa

Re: Use of 'c' RH Finger

Post by soltirefa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Here's a previous discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=122046

DaveLeeNC

Post by DaveLeeNC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Thanks - very helpful and interesting.

dave
2014 Ashley Sanders Spruce/Ash Burl
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 pm

I also use c a lot in HVL for many 5 note chords. In the 3rd prelude, a few well placed rolls are far more effective without rolling everything.
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:50 am

Only in Flamenco, really

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm

My answer is, if you feel comfortable with use your c finger, go for it.

If not, it's still a good idea to practice with it for two reasons. One is of course that maybe sometimes you can develop it enough to be useful but a more important reason is balance. Building some msucles and ignoring others is never really a good idea and a weak an poorly controlled little finger can easily build tension that affects the whole hand and itnerfers with the movements of the other fingers.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Villa Lobos used that finger himself and it seems to work well in a few places. The only problem with extensive use of that finger, in my observation, is that its advocates can lose good tone across the whole hand for a small extra technical flexibility.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 pm

One of the guitarists on Tonebase has a practice routine lesson on using c, but I forget who it was.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:16 am

Rafael Aguirre is the tone base artist, and I love his 5-finger stuff, really good.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Kent

Post by Kent » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 am

I feel Alive
Using all Five

Ricflair

Post by Ricflair » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm
Left over from my playing back in the 80's (didn't touch a guitar from 1984 or so until 2016) was the use of the c finger (pinky) when playing 5 string chords. This popped up naturally in a couple of pop/jazz pieces and I got pretty comfortable using it (rarely use it outside of 5 string chords). Oddly my c fingernail is the only nail that I have that doesn't crack/break/split easily. To balance out with the other fingers it does need to be a tad longer than the others (or maybe that is its far shorter length - ala' Jason Vieaux's p nail).

I have been working on Villa Lobos Prelude's 1 and 3 and am finding the use of c to be both natural and a bit less trouble than a strum in several(not all) places. And I can control the sound better that way, although maybe that is simply a lack of skill on my part on 'the strum'.

How many others out there regularly use the c finger?

dave
Charles Postlewate did an exhaustive study on implementing the RH pinky (c) into one's technique. Having seen the DVD and the materials, it is very impressive and leaves no stone unturned. Postlewate's work is so good, I am surprised he is not better known. Postlewate's playing on the DVD using the 5 finger RH is virtuosic. I would highly recommend anyone interested in developing the RH pinky buy his materials. Excellent stuff.
Graduate of Trump University School of Music.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:38 pm

The usefulness of the c finger becomes really evident if one, as I did, develops focal dystonia in the i finger. In my case, my thumb and index fingers on the right hand became smeared or confused on the cellular level, and are no longer fully independent of each other. While I explored Postlewaite's books many years ago, I found that working with p-m-a-c became a way back into playing some classical repertoire and also playing chord accompaniments in my jazz and Latin work. The supinated posture that brings the c finger closer to the strings can produce great tone if you do your nails to accommodate it, as Thomas Viloteau demonstrates on tonebase. I now incorporate p-i-m-a-c-a-m-i arpeggios in my daily practice, as well as chord studies using 4 and 5 strings. This has had the effect of balancing the hand and improving the relationship between p and i, thus effecting a "cure", little by little, of my dystonia. In any event, the use of the c finger is an improvement in efficiency, if nothing else.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 pm

I think I've said before. I use it eventually. I've broke the c finger when young and it is further from other fingers than a regular hand. It is difficult to equalize its sound with other fingers. I think it is already hard to find good hand position for thumb and the other 3 fingers...
In my case 'c' finger generally sounds much more metalic, that is the reason I hardly explore its use. For this same reason it is good for artificial harmonics and I mainly use it for that.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”