Practice Log

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
David Gutowski

Practice Log

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 am

I made up a cg practice log a few days ago. Very simple, can list three days of info on one small sheet of paper. Starts out with the date and next to the date I'm including short note to myself on cg fundamentals and basic music philosophy. Daily goals (3), notes on the goals, what I actually did practice, what was good about it and short comments on the session and what I need to work on next day.

The practice log is great. Helps to create a time frame and direction for the various things I'm working on and practicing but, most of all, keeps a schedule. Too often, I get into a practice item and don't shift out of it. Now, the practice log keeps me going on several different items because I'm using a time clock and "sticking to it." I generally practice for about an hour & half in the AM and an hour in the evening. Also, it's a good way to review what I've been working on and a guide or plan for future practice. Granddaughter bought me a small clipboard so I can keep it on the stand.

Here's some pictures of my practice log. I use a lot of colors with the notes and chords so I'm also incorporating color on the cg practice log. And you're more than welcome to use the log format. Or, maybe you have a practice log you would like to share.

Stay loose,
Guitralchemist,
David :fume:
new practice log 004.JPG
new practice log 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Rognvald

Re: Practice Log

Post by Rognvald » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi, David,
I have kept a practice log my entire musical life. It enables a serious player to be more efficient. I recently found some old logs tucked away in a closet and had a few laughs when I saw things with which I was previously struggling. Practice log? Yes. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

David Gutowski

Re: Practice Log

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:24 am

Hello Rognvald,
What does you log look like? Maybe I can use some of the info.

The log idea has has been a good help but found I needed to modify some things. I need to maintain my freedom of playing, so to speak, and not think about following a log. So, I've been using it more as a general overview and not a specific, rigid plan and it does tend to keep me on track. One of my biggest issues is not shifting to other elements of cg practice. The log at least makes me more aware that I should be practicing a variety of things.

Found a great quote in an old Dylan music book:
"For I know that you know that I know that you know."

Best,
David
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”