Exercises to overcome little finger twist?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Shadowbelle

Exercises to overcome little finger twist?

Post by Shadowbelle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:00 pm

I have fairly large hands (I'm a woman, but have to buy men's Large size gloves to get the fingers long enough) and I can get a good stretch between my fingers when they are extended. But when curled, my fourth finger twists in as though its major ambition in life is to hide under the third finger. It's always been like this, but wasn't a problem until I took up the guitar. Does anyone know of any exercises to help with this? I'm in my sixties and well past my growing years, though fortunately no arthritis or other age-related stiffening in my hands yet.
2016 Cordoba C10; cedar top, rosewood sides & back, mahogany neck
2011 Washburn WD35S; spruce top, tamo ash sides & back, mahogany neck

lagartija

Re: Exercises to overcome little finger twist?

Post by lagartija » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:26 pm

To clarify, do you mean the tip of finger 4 moves in the direction of finger three as you spread your fingers apart? The contact point would be on the outside edge of fingertip four?

A certain amount of this is quite normal. Are both hands the same if you perform the same movement?
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Shadowbelle

Post by Shadowbelle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 am

When I curl my fingers under loosely, as one does on the fretboard (not tightly as if making a fist), the little finger curves to the third finger. If I tighten the curve a bit as if fretting, the little finger tucks under the third finger.

This is the relaxed position.

I don't know how common this is, but it does make me struggle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Cordoba C10; cedar top, rosewood sides & back, mahogany neck
2011 Washburn WD35S; spruce top, tamo ash sides & back, mahogany neck

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Shadowbelle wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 am
When I curl my fingers under loosely, as one does on the fretboard (not tightly as if making a fist), the little finger curves to the third finger. If I tighten the curve a bit as if fretting, the little finger tucks under the third finger.

This is the relaxed position.

I don't know how common this is, but it does make me struggle.

Hi while in the right hand is normal, actually a kynesiologist/guitarist stated that the pinky should "accompany the ring finger" many times ot allow a better alternation when using ring finger, and one of my professors, a high-level one, also used it. It means just to accompany the ring finger in a relaxed way. I reckon I also use the pinky that way as in a relaxed stance which sometimes travels with the ring. It reminds me to the compound stroke used in m-a.
Otherwise if it occurs in the left hand (too): my left hand also resembles yours when it is slightly curved and not tensioned. I'm not fully understanding the issue, do you have problems using the 4th finger in left hand? For instance can you play a scale in one position or in a longitudinal presentation (one finger for each fret)? Try if you can play this:

It's economy of motion.

Also have you tried stretching excercises? There are many in Carlevaro's fourth book (the one about "culmination of left hand study"). Try playing an A note in the sixth string with your THIRD finger, then WITHOUT lifting that previous finger play a B note in the same string with fourth finger. Only lift the third finger one fourth finger is pressed. That's an example and extract of a stretch excercise.
I don't know if that's one of the issues it may represent.
You're reading this.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:07 pm

I thought you somehow got a picture of my hand. I am 68 and desperately working on stretches. I found this on stretches

It seems to help quite a bit. I am careful to not overdo it. I try to wash my hands in hot water before starting and one hand clapping to get the blood flowing before doing this. I also have added stretching between my fingers while holding my hand curled in the playing position. Feels totally different. That and playing slow scales, keeping my fingers planted as I ascend and planting right against the fret ( or as close as possible), has helped my hands.I also will shake out my fingers in between stretches to keep them loose.
I will have to check out the book by Carlevaro.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”