question on left wrist

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

question on left wrist

Post by detwidkul » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 am

I have been told to keep the left wrist straight when doing chromatic scale and move only fingers.

the problem happen with the 6th string , I try to keep to wrist still and let the finger curve to reach the note, but I notice that with ring and pinky finger can reach but it has less space and can easily mute the 5th string ( I mean they doesnt curve nicely and I have to cup my wrist a little to have more strength and room for those fingers.

Another cup wrist occur when concern with barre chord such as barre on 7 fret and pinky on the 1st string 12th fret. and other 2 fingers have to work for melody part as well. I have to cup the wrist ( bring it forward ) to have more strength. I feel like I have to use the muscle at the back of the palm to help with the passage.
need to practice more!

joachim33

Re: question on left wrist

Post by joachim33 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:03 am

I find the following video very helpful, I shared it here before:

robert e

Post by robert e » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm no expert but your compensations as you describe them sound quite correct, detwidkul. I think videos of professional classical guitarists with smaller (and even not so small) hands will help you verify that you're compensating correctly. Using arm weight as described in the video can help.

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 pm

I disagree with straight wrist. It must be flexible and loose.
Regular mistake (just generally, not about anybody here) is to position LH for finger 1. Should position thinking on finger 3 or 4, since fingers 1 and 2 will reach notes easier.
Carlevaro started advocating straight LH wrist, but changed later. See here:

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”