Bass string damp

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Tuan Phan Thanh

Bass string damp

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:58 am

I have this problem when i play e string and then play a string my thumb cacht the e string when i play a. It feel not right. Should i damp the e string before play a or damp imediatly when play a. Because damp stimulatly with play a string is harder. Is damp the e then play a is aceptance. Do you have any idiea. I dont know if i describe it clear enough.

dtoh

Re: Bass string damp

Post by dtoh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 am

I think the preferred method of damping in that case is to damp the e (6th) string with the side of your thumb while playing the a (5th) string. It's may feel awkward at first but with a little practice is relatively easy to master. Depending on your RH position it may also require you to slightly adjust your RH position.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 am

Having a hard time understanding.

To reiterate.. When you play A, your thumb is also catching E?

This should not happen with rest strokes or free strokes.

A video is worth a million words if you can provide one I'm pretty sure we can help you out.
Cordoba CP110

Tuan Phan Thanh

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am

Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb. But i think damb with side thumb is work but need practice. Anyway thank for help.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm

Tuan Phan Thanh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am
Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb.
As Chris says, this shouldn’t happen. Look at your hand position, in your videos it looks like it might be a little flat and the thumb too close to the hand. Try moving the knuckles further towards the treble strings to bring the fingers a lttle more vertical.
You need to find a position where the thumb clears the string and doesn’t lay back onto it.

Tuan Phan Thanh

Post by Tuan Phan Thanh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm
Tuan Phan Thanh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:03 am
Because before i play a i play e open then when i play a the e string still vibrate it catch the thumb.
As Chris says, this shouldn’t happen. Look at your hand position, in your videos it looks like it might be a little flat and the thumb too close to the hand. Try moving the knuckles further towards the treble strings to bring the fingers a lttle more vertical.
You need to find a position where the thumb clears the string and doesn’t lay back onto it.
Thank you for your advice i will try.

kmurdick

Post by kmurdick » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 pm

My video may be of some help.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”