Pull off with pinky

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
detwidkul

Pull off with pinky

Post by detwidkul » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 am

hello

I am practicing sor study 3 to improve the pull off action.

It seems that the second string is a lot harder than the first string, especially the finger

3 hold 4 pull off

the tendency of the third finger willing to move down as the pinky finger making the pull off and the problem continue with pull off in the shape of 1 3 4
because the string already been pull down naturally by the third finger , making it harder to pull off again.

I saw some technique about

- pushing the string up while making pull-off to compensate the downward string
- lifting ur arm a bit so hand doesnt carry dead weight and will have tendency to pull the string down.

it does really painful after 30 mins of practice getting the pinky pull off sound even and clear.

Please share your idea
need to practice more!

Terpfan

Re: Pull off with pinky

Post by Terpfan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 am

detwidkul wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:50 am

There is an answer.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:17 am

Practice slowly so you can get the sound you want. I am working on Albeniz Cataluna (Barrueco) which has 3hold 4 pull off in the middle section. Without slightly pushing the string up with 3rd finger, I could not get good sounding pull off with 4. Good luck.

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:59 am

Thank you very much for the tip.
need to practice more!

dan5001

Post by dan5001 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am

Imho 30 minutes of pinky pull offs is way too much. If u do 5 minutes a day you will see improvement in a couple of weeks. Be patient.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed May 01, 2019 2:09 pm

dan5001 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am
Imho 30 minutes of pinky pull offs is way too much. If u do 5 minutes a day you will see improvement in a couple of weeks. Be patient.
+1

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Thu May 02, 2019 5:33 am

Thank you very much, it does now make more sense of getting the hold of it, with slow speed.
Another exercise for my homework is Aguado study 18, This is kind of nightmare as the ring and pinky finger need to stretch out while the first finger need to hold on another string.

I really see no value of it much in term of playing with the pop style, but it is recommended anyway for strength and stretching.
need to practice more!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Mon May 06, 2019 5:10 pm

The hand should be parallel to the strings and not rotated (there's a tendency, sometimes to put the hand in a 30 degree angle, that should be avoided in that kind of pull off with those fingers.
The fourth finger should not be overextended.
All joints(when possible) should be "bent" in a way that makes the tipjoint phalanx similar to a "nail". When you hammer a nail, you make sure the nail is 90 degrees to the surface.
The pull off should not be done with too much strength (it's not a "fortissimo pull off" to make a metaphor). Also, there is a tendency, somtimes, that when one plays in a strong volume with right hand, the left hand fingers (when performing a pull off) may also "contract" that strength. Best case scenario is to dissociate both hands in terms of strength. The right hand may play in forte (with strength), but left hand should be soft when performing a pull off. You may wanna try playing those pull offs in "piano" dynamic, at least to test the strength you're using for pull offs.
You're reading this.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Is there a technical name for "pull off with pinky", as opposed to say, "pull off with index"?

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Terpfan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 am
detwidkul wrote:

There is an answer.
I am not sure I understand what you mean here. Could you please elaborate a little more?

Thanks

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 am

I mean when pulling down the string, second string for example, I have to push the string upwards a little bit ( with other fingers ) then I can make the pull off easier.
need to practice more!

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 am

Look at your hand in a mirror and if you notice your 4th finger is straighter than your other fingers that will not work for pull offs with 4. You need to rotate the forearm upward (supination) so that 4th finger side of the palm is closer to the fretboard. Also, the large knuckles should be out in front of the fretboard or at least parallel with the fret ends. Do pull offs by flexion of the middle/tip joints while simultaneously extending the large knuckle (MCP joint). Do not use any arm or wrist movement while doing pull offs, that technique is very limiting and will detract you from developing a good pull off. A strong and correct and professional-level pull off should be a finger movement alone.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Fri May 17, 2019 7:12 am

Especially with 3rd and 4th fingers. These fingers are connected, when pinky pull off, ring finger want to move same way, so make an effort to move ring finger upwards.

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Fri May 17, 2019 3:50 pm

otirroz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Terpfan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:59 am
detwidkul wrote:

There is an answer.
I am not sure I understand what you mean here. Could you please elaborate a little more?

Thanks
I now think I understand what you mean, but let me put it in my own words and see if you agree. When pulling off with the little finger I pull DOWN towards the treble edge of the fretboard while at the same time pushing the string UP towards the bass edge of the fretboard with whichever other finger is holding the string against the fretboard. The two fingers are acting like a scissor opening up.

Also, thanks to the input from the other contributors. I am sure that all of us have had to struggle with this same problem. I use the hammer-on, pull-off exercise in Pumping Nylon everyday as a warmup. These ideas will give me something to focus on to improve my technique.

Thanks to all :merci:

detwidkul

Post by detwidkul » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 am

yes, like scissor, but it is always better to be able to pull off with out the use of the scissor way too much, sometimes the sound can be out of tune if use it aggressively i]n order to compensate the lack of finger flexibility. just my thought
need to practice more!

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”